• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have family who were in Kokomo at that time.

Do you remember anything, maybe not specifically but even just generally, about how black people were described by the older folks?
    Not really. The only thing that I really remember is Dad telling Mom to avoid going up town. She always took us to the Y and it was up pretty close to the violent area.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Not really. The only thing that I really remember is Dad telling Mom to avoid going up town. She always took us to the Y and it was up pretty close to the violent area.

I'm sorry this may feel like cross examination. :D I really intend for this to be conversational - I'm just curious about these things.

Do you remember seeing any black kids at the Kokomo Y when your mom would take you?

Somewhat fuller disclosure - my understanding of Kokomo through that time (and frankly, even into the 80s), was of a kinda traditional midwest underlying racial... issue. I'm not even sure it deserves to be labelled "racism." I mean, it was, but it wasn't the overt kind associated with the south. It was closer to the de facto segregation that we even see today.

It wasn't explicit racism, but more of the "each race should keep to themselves" kind of thing. (Sometimes it could spill over, but on a day-to-day basis, it wasn't out in the open.)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't think my parents ever talked much about that kind of stuff. Dad's family was Southern Republicans back to the Civil War. Mom's side ended up having 4 or 5 marry black people so it is a pretty diversified group. They always seemed very sympathetic to the plight of blacks. An aunt was a missionary in the Belgian Congo.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I'm sorry this may feel like cross examination. :D I really intend for this to be conversational - I'm just curious about these things.

Do you remember seeing any black kids at the Kokomo Y when your mom would take you?

Somewhat fuller disclosure - my understanding of Kokomo through that time (and frankly, even into the 80s), was of a kinda traditional midwest underlying racial... issue. I'm not even sure it deserves to be labelled "racism." I mean, it was, but it wasn't the overt kind associated with the south. It was closer to the de facto segregation that we even see today.

It wasn't explicit racism, but more of the "each race should keep to themselves" kind of thing. (Sometimes it could spill over, but on a day-to-day basis, it wasn't out in the open.)
    I do remember seeing some black kids at some thing I went to at Camp Tycony. In HS we had a black kid but he was a doctor's kid so probably didn't really count since as far as I could tell, he was just another kid in school.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I feel you there. When the writers get tired they either run a social issue up the flag pole or have the characters start sleeping with each other...

Case in point. Can we all agree that this year was pretty much the first year that the super bowl commercials got "woke"? IMHO the only social issues touched on before were Bud commercials, but those were more patriotic/nationalistic in nature.

Any coincidence that the first year they go all in SJW is the first year we aren't talking about how awesome 90+% of them are? Yeah, there were a couple good ones, but in the past that couple were the mediocre ones and the vast majority were awesome. And they SHOULD be awesome if they are going for >$2m per spot.

I remember for YEARS everyone clamoring to watch the commercials, to the point many looked forward to the commercials more than the actual game. And then they eventually were being released a week in advance on Youtube to great fanfare. (and much entertainment) This year? Meh.

So did they finally run out of funny/entertaining ideas, or has SJW fever killed them off too? My vote is on the latter.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I didn't really notice any difference in either the clamor or the interest.

But, there may also have been an element of following the NFL's lead on the matter. I did notice that the NFL-spots were self-congratulatory about how great they were doing with the social outreach in Atlanta.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I don’t know about Kokomo, but my elementary school experience in late 60s/early 70s tought me that racism goes both ways. Kids were mutually racist toward one another. In the public school anyway. I had gone to a private church school preschool through 3rd grade. Kids from the black church went there too. We all got along okay.

The move to public school was eye-opening. That was the first time I’d ever encountered black kids who were hostile to me because I’m white. The public elementary school was in the black section of town, and since I lived in a rural area outside of town, I was in that district. Blacks outnumbered whites in that school around 60/40. It was a really racially divisive time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I didn't really notice any difference in either the clamor or the interest.

But, there may also have been an element of following the NFL's lead on the matter. I did notice that the NFL-spots were self-congratulatory about how great they were doing with the social outreach in Atlanta.

I did. There used to be major hype leading up. And you used to have trouble deciding which was your favorite. "OMG! Did you see the Doritos ad?" "That's nothing, the Expedia ad was even funnier!"

This year? I dont think I even have seen any of them yet.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I thought the T-Mobile ones were really sharp and funny. Very meta.

"Dad, this isn't google."

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rudyjr
    Top Bottom