• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The D.O.D. will never approve a sidearm that does not have a manual safety. The reason the 1911 had so many safety devices was because Officers do not and have never trusted enlisted men to run around without safeties on their weapons. They never have. Of course that was in a time when our Officers led from the front. Not many do today. Besides, we don't need any cruise missile bases in Austria.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The D.O.D. will never approve a sidearm that does not have a manual safety. The reason the 1911 had so many safety devices was because Officers do not and have never trusted enlisted men to run around without safeties on their weapons. They never have. Of course that was in a time when our Officers led from the front. Not many do today. Besides, we don't need any cruise missile bases in Austria.

If it was a normal adoting process then sure there would be resistance, but this Army Gen is thinkingboutside the box so good chance it will get through.

As fat as the whole safety deal, The history of the 1911 that I saw/read stated the grip safety was added as an after thought at the urging of Calvary troops. This whole Army wants a safety mentality just sort of happened since the generations since 1911. The pendulum is swinging back (slowly).

The biggest obsticale to NOT getting a handgun replacement is need. Do they really NEED it with the majority of 600,000 M9's still in service for most general issue needs and functioning just fine???

We will see

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I like the current Army Chiefs response to contracting..."give me $17M on a credit card and I'll go to Cabella's and buy every soldier, sailor, airman and marine a new sidearm".

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I believe that is one of the requirements for the contracts when they are awarded.

It is one of the MANY requirements.

When the government buys *anything*, the actual item purchased is only a small part of the overall consideration. In the same way that funding the government is an incidental byproduct of our tax code designed primarily to control people and pick winners and losers, so is the purchase of a good or service by the Feds an incidental byproduct of an acquisitions process intended primarily to reward the right groups and pursue social justice.

For example, the supplier of said good or service is scored based on things like being veteran-owned, minority-owned, or female-owned.

Want to get government business? Give substantial part ownership to a disabled combat vet minority female. Regardless how crappy the product or service, you'd be GTG for quite awhile!

The actual quality of the item and its cost are far, far down the list of things considered.

Top Bottom