• ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Leadeye is correct follow the money!

SIG has spend time and money courting the Army personnel here are few examples.
    The internet service at the CONUS replacement center at FT. Benning was provided by SIG when I went though it. So right before you get on a plane for Iraasatain the last thing you see is a banner that states SIG is with you!
    I visited the PX at FT. Knox last week SIG had a table set up at the PX handing out swag and entering Soldiers in a drawing for a MPX.
    SIG just presented the “Old Guard” with ceremonial pistols so on so forth.
    SIG is considered the standard for reliability and innovation by many in uniform remember many are not “gun” people.

Camelbak,Okley,Gerber,Magpul,5.11,Under Amour and many others have achieved brand id with the Army not through testing and evaluation but with marketing. Manufacturers send out questionnaires to get feedback and create items Soldiers want and guess what civilian’s buy the stuff which is big money. It’s good for me if my Gerber multi tool breaks I email Gerber they send shipping label fix it and send it back!

BTW I don’t understand the term “hollow point” never heard of it?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Being left handed I don't seem to have problems with my M9/92FS nor operating the safety which in fact is on both sides. Slide release on lock back is no problem either as I just use my trigger finger.

I would agree that it came down to a great sales job, and is it possible that because Beretta move out of Maryland, the home of many government beings, that too played into it?

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just more Army corporate Successories crap. Everything is always over the frickin' top in what they do.

There were several great pistols submitted. The modularity of the 320 was oversold. To our Army INGOers, how frickin' often will there be a large bin of extra parts in an armory?

The 320 was a solid B+. Big Army could have put all the guns in a pillow case, shaken it up, and drew out the next wonder gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The M17 has a chance to be a game changer . . . if no one on the enemy side shows up with a rifle or shotgun or anything bigger.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Game Changer? Unless the pistol fires guided bullets it's not changing anything. I hated running annual qualifications for my Bn. The rifle one was bad enough, but the pistols Quals ... Holy Shot Gun Spread Batman.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Just more Army corporate Successories crap. Everything is always over the frickin' top in what they do.

There were several great pistols submitted. The modularity of the 320 was oversold. To our Army INGOers, how frickin' often will there be a large bin of extra parts in an armory?

The 320 was a solid B+. Big Army could have put all the guns in a pillow case, shaken it up, and drew out the next wonder gun.

All true. But not all the options were priced at loss leader rates. Sig hasn’t figured out that you try to actually make money on .mil contracts.

i can see a controversial bailout of Sig inside 10 yrs. Not as certainty, but as not improbable.

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Interesting, when I worked for DoS in Iraq-2008-2010, we were issued Glocks and HydroShocks........

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I am not trying to defend the SIG contract or debate "game changers" or anything like that, but I just picked up a SIG P320 X-Five to use for Carry Optics in USPSA and I have to admit that the modularity is nice.

I never really bought into the whole modularity hoopla and just considered it a bunch of hooey. I have always been sort of anti-plastic with regards to guns.

But now that I see how the modularity thing works, I have to admit it is pretty cool. I can get a new frame for $44 and swap it out in 4 minutes. Add in a new slide/barrel kit, and I can have 2 guns (full size and compact).

I am not saying that SIG is the only one that can do this or that it is a good reason for the Army to choose SIG, only that the modularity feature surprised me in that I actually like it now that I have a P320 and see how it works. Up until 2 weeks ago, I would have argued that is a "worthless marketing gimmick".

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I am not an expert but I do know in 24 years my pistol left the holster twice.
    So I have always believed that with the exception of MP’s and CID the pistol is a limited use sidearm.
    I carried one when assigned as a machine gunner for use when the gun went down then again as a SFC E-7 and 1SG E-8 more of a badge of rank than actual need.

Whether is was a 1911 or M9 if it worked I was good with it never really considered much about it just a tool.
    The M9 was a bit much to carry concealed a compact version would have sweet.
    I cannot comprehend that issuing a pistol at Team Leader SGT E-5 level will be a game changer but maybe this will give us the edge?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Still not sure if it was the best choice or not, but if they want it to truly be a game changer, (and they could do it at this price point) they should issue a sidearm, AND a rifle to every troop. Other than greatly increasing the numbers of them out in service... it's a back up piece to most troops. Maybe a tanker who carries only the handgun would like it better... or not...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Still not sure if it was the best choice or not, but if they want it to truly be a game changer, (and they could do it at this price point) they should issue a sidearm, AND a rifle to every troop. Other than greatly increasing the numbers of them out in service... it's a back up piece to most troops. Maybe a tanker who carries only the handgun would like it better... or not...

Agree 100% !!!!!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm still waiting for more info on Steyr's lawsuit against Sig for patent infringement. I don't see how Sig is going to get away with "modular frame" unless .gov pulls strings.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Interesting on how the pistol will be a hyperbolic game changer. During the procurement morass, the Chief of Staff of the Army, GEN Mark Milley, correctly observed:

"arguably [the pistol is] the least lethal and important weapon system in Department of Defense inventory."

Pistols are GREAT in confined spaces ... But so are hand grenades.

Top Bottom