• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Granted, my soldering training came towards from the end of the Cold War, so we were, primarily, training to fight on the plains of Europe...but our take at the time was that if we were dependent on a pistol, something had gone drastically wrong.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    For me the biggest point is, if you are going to your pistol because your primary weapon is down for whatever reason, then you need it to work 100%. Theres no room for mistakes or second best.

For certain parts of our government and military they use pistols as primary weapons. Either full time or for certain time. Same thing, they need them to work 100%

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    For me the biggest point is, if you are going to your pistol because your primary weapon is down for whatever reason, then you need it to work 100%. Theres no room for mistakes or second best.

For certain parts of our government and military they use pistols as primary weapons. Either full time or for certain time. Same thing, they need them to work 100%
    If the military thought that way then they’d probably do better maintainance on their pistols. It’s too bad. People would have different opinions of the 92/M9 if they were better maintained.

I agree though. Any gear a soldier uses should work 100% of the time if possible.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If the military thought that way then they’d probably do better maintainance on their pistols. It’s too bad. People would have different opinions of the 92/M9 if they were better maintained.

I agree though. Any gear a soldier uses should work 100% of the time if possible.
    Well some units do. Not all and it's sad.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield

Agree here 100%.

I think that as has been pointed out in this thread however, the times a soldier actually has to use their handguns are very few indeed. Factor into that a low failure rate for any gun (yes, including the SIG), and the cost benefits unfortunately outweigh the very small potential for a failure. Someone has done this analysis, trust me.

Remember: $280.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

My #2 brother got out of the Marines, and then went in the Army, into a maintenance unit. They complained about him making them clean their weapons. They were "maintenance" and didn't "need" them.
    And then they were in Iraq.
    All of a sudden, they "needed" them. There was a less clearly defined "line of battle". Not to mention, "lines of battle" tend to move.
    See "Battle of the Bulge".

People sometimes forget, the enemy has their own plans, and they want to live just as much as you do.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Granted, my soldering training came towards from the end of the Cold War, so we were, primarily, training to fight on the plains of Europe...but our take at the time was that if we were dependent on a pistol, something had gone drastically wrong.

Did you have to watch "One Shot, One Kill"? That was from the Viet Nam era where he takes one out from across a swamp.

My issued Remington Rand rattled so bad that if the mag fell out you wouldn't hear it...

Top Bottom