• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    :wallbash: Just.....no. Parts aint parts.

OP, do your research and buy quality. Some PSA stuff is OK, some is garbage. Anderson is affectionately referred to as the "poverty pony." You are CERTAINLY NOT just paying for looks when getting something better than PSA's non premium line or the poverty pony. You are paying for quality control, reliability, durability, etc...
    :whistle:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I was specifically asking about the lower receiver the hunk of metal. Not the parts in it. Is there a big enough difference in the actual metal receiver to buy an expensive receiver.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I was specifically asking about the lower receiver the hunk of metal. Not the parts in it. Is there a big enough difference in the actual metal receiver to buy an expensive receiver.

In my experience, yes.....with caveats. You don't need to buy super high end with AR's as there's diminishing returns on your money the more you spend. You also don't want to buy the cheapest crap out there.

You'll notice a lot of people will use Anderson receivers here and like them. 98% of them are good to go. Hope you don't get that remaining 2% made on Friday before the weekend. That's what I got when I listened to people on here saying "they're just as good as." Tool marks all over and looked like they were made by a toddler. Bolt catch and mag release milling was garbage and parts were sticky. Drillings for roll pins sucked and didn't gauge right. Just a bunch of suck. Most of the issues can be fixed, and once you fluff and buff out the issues, they run fine. But why when there's quality parts out there.

Minimum - Buy an Aero receiver. They are quality and OEM for a lot of higher end companies. PSA is generally ok as well. Aero's generally go on sale for $40-50. Well worth the extra $10 over Anderson IMHO.

BCM is good stuff and money well spent. For example, you get tighter and better barrel fit with their uppers and they're generally just a step up all around.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Is there any quality or dependability Perks to buying a complete lower as opposed to a stripped lower and parts kit?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Is there any quality or dependability Perks to buying a complete lower as opposed to a stripped lower and parts kit?

Depends on your ability. I would generally say yes if you are looking at a budget built lower vs. a budget lower with a quality lpk. AeroPrecision makes a super nice lower for 55 to 75 dollars, pair that with a nice lpk like bcm or cmmg (bcm comes with a really crispy trigger, cmmg comes with a very acceptable trigger). I have seen issues in cheap lowers where the upper doesn't properly pivot etc... That is just an inconvenience that doesn't affect the actual operation. I picked up some American Pride lowers out of McKinney tx during a sale for 28 bucks per and they are rock solid. They have some edges not machined as fine and the coating may be a little more powdery but functionally they are perfect. I put a cmmg kit in one, a bcm in another, and Daniel defense in the third and all three operate as they should. I think the housing matters less than the functioning parts. That said there can be issues with cheap lowers that occur rarely but more frequently than with more expensive offerings. Tighter takedown pins due to the holes in the lower being drilled at the extreme which makes contact with the upper, trigger pin holes drilled offset causing the trigger to be heavier than it should/could be, grip holes not being threaded all the way through etc.. My cheap lowers are not as nice as my factory Daniel defense, and non of my homebuilts are as nice, but they all function just fine.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Well, I assembled 6 Anderson lowers earlier this year with Damage Industries LPKs, and didn't experience any of the problems you and your forum buddies write about.

It's funny how the mob mind works...

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I settled in on Aero Precision upper and M4E1 lower receivers.

I especially like the threaded bolt catch pin and threaded takedown pin detent recess. Two little conveniences that are very nice.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Well, I assembled 6 Anderson lowers earlier this year with Damage Industries LPKs, and didn't experience any of the problems you and your forum buddies write about.

Glad it worked out for you. However, you've only used 6. And your 6 that went OK doesn't change my personal experience with 2 garbage Anderson lowers. They're cheap for a reason. And I'm not talking from a mob perspective. That's my PERSONAL experience. The Anderson lowers I had did not function without me fixing them.

So.....let's take a quick poll here. You've had 6 good ones.....I've had 2 bad ones. That's 25% bad between you and me. :abused:
    Not saying the percentage is actually that high, but it's certainly higher than quality brands, and highlights the issue with you saying they're good to go just because you have assembled 6 of them. You don't have a statistical sample. You need a larger sample size and would have to rely on what the market is saying about them and read more.

Parts aren't parts, and they're not "just as good as." Anderson are fine if you get a good one. But your chances of getting a dud are much higher. There's quality companies out there making a much nicer product for not much more. Why not buy quality from the get go.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi

Never said they dont work. Its like the difference between an uberti saa vs a colt saa. The $1500 difference isnt worth it to 95% of people and the ubertis shoot fine. There is a difference. The lower end recievers and parts work. If thats what matters good. But there is a difference.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    It's funny, seeing people bad mouth Anderson and praise Aero.

just a few years back the mob mind was dead set against Aero...

I imagine it will swing back around again...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It's funny, seeing people bad mouth Anderson and praise Aero.

just a few years back the mob mind was dead set against Aero...

I imagine it will swing back around again...

Maybe. There's always the opportunity for machine shops to change. For all we know, 10 years from now, Anderson's management will change and they'll start turning out Noveske level parts.

And for the record, I don't use Aero parts across the board. Their receivers are good, though. I personally don't use their LPK's, buffer assy's, BCG's, etc...

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Maybe. There's always the opportunity for machine shops to change. For all we know, 10 years from now, Anderson's management will change and they'll start turning out Noveske level parts.

And for the record, I don't use Aero parts across the board. Their receivers are good, though. I personally don't use their LPK's, buffer assy's, BCG's, etc...

Noveske isn't what it used to be ever since John died. I have 6 Noveske barrels. Some are John era and some are post John. There is a difference.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    thank you I have never had an ar pistol nor seen how the braces attach.

Go here and check out the SBA3 [pistol with 5-6 position possible] -- https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sba3/

they include, with the brace, their own buffer tube.

You can find them for $105-ish also

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    In my experience, yes.....with caveats. You don't need to buy super high end with AR's as there's diminishing returns on your money the more you spend. You also don't want to buy the cheapest crap out there.

You'll notice a lot of people will use Anderson receivers here and like them. 98% of them are good to go. Hope you don't get that remaining 2% made on Friday before the weekend. That's what I got when I listened to people on here saying "they're just as good as." Tool marks all over and looked like they were made by a toddler. Bolt catch and mag release milling was garbage and parts were sticky. Drillings for roll pins sucked and didn't gauge right. Just a bunch of suck. Most of the issues can be fixed, and once you fluff and buff out the issues, they run fine. But why when there's quality parts out there.

Minimum - Buy an Aero receiver. They are quality and OEM for a lot of higher end companies. PSA is generally ok as well. Aero's generally go on sale for $40-50. Well worth the extra $10 over Anderson IMHO.

BCM is good stuff and money well spent. For example, you get tighter and better barrel fit with their uppers and they're generally just a step up all around.

also, look into BCI - right here in Bremen, Indiana.

They make their own lowers and they are terrific.!!

Top Bottom