• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Lex, I should know this it seems, but I actually don't. In states that limited magazine capacity, I believe no compensation was offered for non-compliant mags. I am not aware of any successful legal challenges to the rules based on this point, however (although I don't believe they tried to restrict the sale of said non-compliant mags already possessed to individuals residing in freer states)

So, would the Florida law's lack of a compensation offer and restriction on transfer or sale give a reasonable legal issue for challenge, or have those sorts of legal issues already played out elsewhere

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Lex, I should know this it seems, but I actually don't. In states that limited magazine capacity, I believe no compensation was offered for non-compliant mags. I am not aware of any successful legal challenges to the rules based on this point, however (although I don't believe they tried to restrict the sale of said non-compliant mags already possessed to individuals residing in freer states)

So, would the Florida law's lack of a compensation offer and restriction on transfer or sale give a reasonable legal issue for challenge, or have those sorts of legal issues already played out elsewhere

Yeah, I've wondered about that myself, but haven't taken the time to research it.

Generally, I'd say that there are 2 strategies to avoid a "takings" issue: grandfathering (with or without some kind of registration) or payment. I knew a guy in Cali who was caught up in the thing where they first said certain long guns were exempt from registration, but then changed an interpretation and said they were not exempt. As I recall, no compensation or grandfathering was offered there.

Under the AWB, as I recall, you had to be able to vouch for mags being "pre-ban." If you couldn't document it, you were at risk of running afoul of the law.

ETA:
    Especially in a post-Heller America, I do think there would be a legitimate angle for litigation on the matter. No way to predict how it would play out, but it wouldn't be frivolous.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    With the one item making it an "assault weapon", and threaded barrels being one of those things. What would this do to the suppressor market?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Not linking (because the whole thing sucks) but it looks like the Florida House passed the provisions, including a straight up ban on bumpstocks.

Now its going to come down to Gov. Rick Scott's signature. He's a Republican.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On the other hand, I just saw this morning that FL passed legislation to allow teachers to be armed.

Same bill. Both sides are trying to "poison pill" it against the other.

3 day waiting period is supposedly the poison pill against (R), armed teachers pill against (D).

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think it was Col. Alan West I heard on the Kilmeade radio show this morning that said he would sign this Florida bill if he got an exemption on the under 21 law for military and police personnel.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not linking (because the whole thing sucks) but it looks like the Florida House passed the provisions, including a straight up ban on bumpstocks.

Now its going to come down to Gov. Rick Scott's signature. He's a Republican.

LOTS of republicans want to be seen to be on "the right side of history". There's a perception out there that there is a groundswell of support for this sort of stuff.

In true FB fashion, when I go to look for a story I'd seen on my feed, I can never find it again but a few days ago I'd read an article about a gun show in IL (I think it was) that had banned the sale of ARs. The comments the article quoted from gun owners was jaw dropping. It's no ****ed wonder our GOP politicians are caving in when gun owners all around us are succumbing to the "just do something" movement.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Why is it they can never just do what they think is right without consulting their pollsters first. The career politician's desire to keep a place at the trough above all else [STRIKE]will be[/STRIKE] is our downfall

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    LOTS of republicans want to be seen to be on "the right side of history". There's a perception out there that there is a groundswell of support for this sort of stuff.

In true FB fashion, when I go to look for a story I'd seen on my feed, I can never find it again but a few days ago I'd read an article about a gun show in IL (I think it was) that had banned the sale of ARs. The comments the article quoted from gun owners was jaw dropping. It's no ****ed wonder our GOP politicians are caving in when gun owners all around us are succumbing to the "just do something" movement.

But, is it a case of them interviewing 100 people, then just presenting the ones that are "okay" with it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    But, is it a case of them interviewing 100 people, then just presenting the ones that are "okay" with it.

Could be. Definitely. But I've seen a number of purported gun owners elsewhere, not being quoted by media, saying much the same thing. I do believe it's different this time. I don't know if it will stick or if some overton window has been moved. Time will tell about that.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    And that is why it is important to communicate with your elected officials. They are being told that most gun owners are now for taking away their gun rights to one extent or another. Social media is full of "gun owners" (who knows if they are) cutting up their ARs or turning them in. Based upon the general reaction here on the INGO, I don't detect that groundswell.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I think it was Col. Alan West I heard on the Kilmeade radio show this morning that said he would sign this Florida bill if he got an exemption on the under 21 law for military and police personnel.

If true, **** him too! Trump, Graham, and Rubio are all on board with this crap and it is COMPLETELY unacceptable. I think it's time to panic stockpile. Our legislators are going to bone us.

I admit I'm eating crow now, thanks Trump! :n00b:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And that is why it is important to communicate with your elected officials. They are being told that most gun owners are now for taking away their gun rights to one extent or another. Social media is full of "gun owners" (who knows if they are) cutting up their ARs or turning them in. Based upon the general reaction here on the INGO, I don't detect that groundswell.

Possibly propaganda meant to demoralize us so we believe resistance is futile.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/rick-scott-wont-say-sign-gun-control-bill

Governor still "unsure" whether he'll sign, but he's going to talk to the victims' families.

@Bug - going back to your question, it occurred to me that it is a bit like the Indiana legislature passing a law banning the CBD oil (or whatever). Like they did with the Spice/synthetic marijuana stuff a few years ago. There's no grandfathering or buyback with those (as far as I know).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's just a phat grip for someone with a phat hand and stubby fangers. It would take me much practice to get to $hooting that well enough that I'd want to carry it.

Have fun carrying a revolver.

In honor of the bill, I'm going to start carrying my five seven again.

w4BYpo5.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/rick-scott-wont-say-sign-gun-control-bill

Governor still "unsure" whether he'll sign, but he's going to talk to the victims' families.

@Bug - going back to your question, it occurred to me that it is a bit like the Indiana legislature passing a law banning the CBD oil (or whatever). Like they did with the Spice/synthetic marijuana stuff a few years ago. There's no grandfathering or buyback with those (as far as I know).

Would that scenario be subject to challenge in the subject at hand, though. I gather people did not have an affirmative right to the CBD oil/Spice etc that the legislature was taking away, rather the lack of a specific ruling of law had people exploiting a gray area. That is not the case with bump stocks etc

Also, many of the proposed statutes I've read also make them illegal to possess or dispose of except by destruction, either by the individual or by surrender to authority (with the same end, I assume). I was under the impression the law cannot make something retro-actively a crime

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No, it wouldn't be retroactive because the behavior prior to the effective date of the law isn't criminalized. Only possession AFTER the effective date would be.

And, to answer the implicit question, yes - litigation would surely follow the enactment of a bumpstock ban. The more it looks like a "taking" - no grandfathering/no compensation - the higher the chance of success.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    I have always owned a few 'wheelies' and when carrying one have never felt under gunned. EVERYONE should own at least one and get familiar with it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That's just a phat grip for someone with a phat hand and stubby fangers. It would take me much practice to get to $hooting that well enough that I'd want to carry it.

I was under the impression the caliber's raison d'être was, up close and personal, it would defeat some body armor (types I and II)

Top Bottom