• JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That is fair enough.
    So I must ask, have you had experiences where an officer stopped you, took your license to check out and sent you on your way without explanation.

No, but I believe the reason is because he was required to do so, not because he was a swell guy.

LARRY1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    i have seen several people in the terre haute area at walmart and mejiers open carrying and i just talked to a man and woman saturday and the man was o.c. with a ruger 9mm in a leather holster and he told me he has not been bothered at all when carrying locallly. i was just curious and ask him about the open carrying, i was carrying a ruger 45 in a shoulder holster with shirt open and unbuttoned. i dont like to open carry because i dont want to give away my options. but i dont care if someone else is, it is their thing. i gave up on belt carry i cant keep my pants up!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Some day maybe folks can just say/post that OC is ok and they won't have to get in a jab that they don't do it but because ___________ but it is ok if you do.

I don't wearing silly looking vests around in public to hide my legally owned firearm but it is ok if you do. I don't do it because I don't want to be hot and marked as someone carry a gun. But it is ok with you doing it. OC is just more honest.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Libertarian inferred (as did I) from your post that LEO's just tell you why because they're good, honest folks, ("That is kind of how they work!").

Yup! And inferred that we're "...going to (converse) for two minutes..." THEN we learn why we're being detained.

Paging Kirk Freeman, Paging Kirk. Tell us again please what we are NOT supposed to do when stopped/detained by our dear Uncle?

Doug

Last edited:

TMD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Owen County, IN
    I open carry my USP without any problems or concerns, and I've only had positive encounters with LEOs, *even* in Bloomington. Now, you could tell that BPD and IUPD didn't like it personally, but legally there was nothing they could do. I just stay polite and kind (how I am regardless) and it disarms many people who get a little bug-eyed about seeing a gun. Open carry is something that, in my opinion, people *need* to see happen on a daily basis, as many tend to forget that we're well within our rights to do so and we (gun owners) are, by and large, the best of society.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My dad always taught me
    "You can't beat a man at his own game, when you are stopped by an officer, it's always yes sir no sir (or m'am). When a cop stops you, that is his game and you can not win. If you have a problem with the stop or how the officer conducts him/herself then you take it up with the judge, not the officer."

I have follwed that advice my whole life and have had moments of filing complaints and such but I never argue or bicker with an officer. At the end of the day they will win and I can only lose.
    I think this is wise advice. File complaints, get a lawyer, ect. Just dont run your pie hole on a stop. You can be polite and not run your mouth. However, if you comply (like showing LTCH or consenting to a search) then you have about a zero chance to take it up the food chain if that's your intent. I dont like cops who play ass hole and are on a power trip. In the same token I dont like ass hole citizens who turn on video cameras with the intention of tracking down a cop and intentionaly playing "I know my rights" games with them and intentionaly wasting the public servants valuable time. That's about the same thing as a false report to me.
    If you are stopped by pure chance and turn on your camera or recorder that's probably smart. Also, smart not to answer questions that turn into fishing.
    If a cop needs help and is being cool and genuine, then I'm the same back. Actualy I've flagged them down to help them. Most all of them are great people and really appreciate not being hated. I also raise my kids to respect the police and thank them. I also teach or will teach them to know and obey laws and know their rights. They work together.
    If you are a fool or a criminal then you are gonna have problems with the cops. If you are a good person and obey the law to the best of your ability then you most likely will never have YOUR OWN negative officer interaction. It's amazing how that works. Cops actualy have real **** to do than waste time screwing with people who didnt earn it.
    As for OC or CC? I CC, but I respect people who OC and as long as you carry in a safe way and dont try to look like a gangsta or a swat team member then I'll probably give you a thumbs up if I ever see you in public. If you are playing with it, touching it, swinging it around, and showing it off in public then you need to knock that **** off. That's stupid.
    The people who call the police when they see someone wearing a gun are little *****es who know what they are doing. They have an agenda and are abusing the 911 system to punish someone that they disagree with. Well too ****ing bad pansies because this is a constitutional right just like your dumb ass wearing a vagina on your head and opening your dumb mouth. All protected equally.
    If you're marching with an AR15 other than to stop the British, you're an idiot. That **** just scares people. Be a responsible gun owner. Be a good neighbor. Be a good patriot and stand up against evil and wrong even if you be the lone voice for what is right. Be a brave & good citizen, answer your summons to jury duty, Help the less fortunate, Pay your taxes even if they all arent right, And thank a cop when you see one on the street.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think this is wise advice. File complaints, get a lawyer, ect. Just dont run your pie hole on a stop. You can be polite and not run your mouth. However, if you comply (like showing LTCH or consenting to a search) then you have about a zero chance to take it up the food chain if that's your intent. I dont like cops who play ass hole and are on a power trip. In the same token I dont like ass hole citizens who turn on video cameras with the intention of tracking down a cop and intentionaly playing "I know my rights" games with them and intentionaly wasting the public servants valuable time. That's about the same thing as a false report to me.
    If you are stopped by pure chance and turn on your camera or recorder that's probably smart. Also, smart not to answer questions that turn into fishing.
    If a cop needs help and is being cool and genuine, then I'm the same back. Actualy I've flagged them down to help them. Most all of them are great people and really appreciate not being hated. I also raise my kids to respect the police and thank them. I also teach or will teach them to know and obey laws and know their rights. They work together.
    If you are a fool or a criminal then you are gonna have problems with the cops. If you are a good person and obey the law to the best of your ability then you most likely will never have YOUR OWN negative officer interaction. It's amazing how that works. Cops actualy have real **** to do than waste time screwing with people who didnt earn it.
    As for OC or CC? I CC, but I respect people who OC and as long as you carry in a safe way and dont try to look like a gangsta or a swat team member then I'll probably give you a thumbs up if I ever see you in public. If you are playing with it, touching it, swinging it around, and showing it off in public then you need to knock that **** off. That's stupid.
    The people who call the police when they see someone wearing a gun are little *****es who know what they are doing. They have an agenda and are abusing the 911 system to punish someone that they disagree with. Well too ****ing bad pansies because this is a constitutional right just like your dumb ass wearing a vagina on your head and opening your dumb mouth. All protected equally.
    If you're marching with an AR15 other than to stop the British, you're an idiot. That **** just scares people. Be a responsible gun owner. Be a good neighbor. Be a good patriot and stand up against evil and wrong even if you be the lone voice for what is right. Be a brave & good citizen, answer your summons to jury duty, Help the less fortunate, Pay your taxes even if they all arent right, And thank a cop when you see one on the street.

Wait, you're still talking about guns, right? ;)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This thread got me watching youtube videos of open carry vs. PoPo interactions... those are always a hoot.

Shocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2018
    Mooresville
    I do have a question that relates to this. How come so many people open carry at Walmart!! I never open carry and I’ve taught my son not to let anybody see it until it’s time for them to see it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I do have a question that relates to this. How come so many people open carry at Walmart!! I never open carry and I’ve taught my son not to let anybody see it until it’s time for them to see it.

To answer your question, I don't know for certain, but Walmart is one of those places that allows open carry, since it is legal in this state, so you probably see more there due to that reason. Since you seem against OC, here is a thread to help you be more informed:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/71996-open-carry-argument.html

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Is that you butter?

kelso-burn-gif-13.gif

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I read through most of the thread, before answering the OP, WWYD?

Officer: Sir, CanI see your ID and LTCH.

Me:No. Excuse me I am on a time schedule and have shopping to do. As I turn and push my cart away.

O: Stop.

M: If you are arresting me , please read me my rights, now.

O: I'm not arresting you, I just want to see your ID and LTCH.

M: Then, Sir, I do not consent to this conversation. As I push my cart away. (with onlookers mouths agape)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was recently applauded by a LEO for open carrying. He went on to state I would be shot first and buy them time! WTF. He also stated that he was annoyed at having to respond to MWAG calls. I get it when the ass hats video tape the entire process and try to instigate an event/incident/embarrassing situation but Inthink most of us are not that way. Personally I have yet to have any negative interactions with anyone period. No problem with soccer moms, LEO or anyone. I like the option to OC or CC and think we are very lucky to be able to carry as we desire here in Indiana. I was just a little perturbed that this even came up and I was put on the defensive so to speak. Depending on the situation I may elect to OC or CC but it nice to have either option.
    The LEO I mentioned earlier did state he opens up the dialogue in a positive manner when he responds to those MWAG calls. Some of the MWAG encounters are like the typical YouTube “ LEO being baited” type vids.
    Too be honest I’m not sure where I’m going with this. I’m thankful I can do what I wish and also glad to have had no negative experiences to date. In contrast I can remember seeing a video where two guys walked into a police station with slung AK’s and body armor and face masks. I felt they were very lucky not to get shot. Legal or not it seemed like a stupid choice to me. So am I wrong? They were doing nothing illegal per se.
    I guess the way you conduct yourself, whether you have to by law, like presenting you LTCH all come into play.
    I don’t really care if you OC or CC I will support you if you are not an *********.
    Alternately if you do not exercise you rights then there are people who will think they are not important, will water them down or take them away.
    You do you and I’ll do me but let’s support each other’s right to choose.
    There is no right or wrong answer. We are all winners.
    Peace out and group hug:rockwoot:

I know it's been a week, but I'm rereading the thread.
    In instances like this, I'd ask the officer, then why do you OPEN CARRY or WEAR A UNIFORM?
    After all, they'll be the first ones shot.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I know it's been a week, but I'm rereading the thread.
    In instances like this, I'd ask the officer, then why do you OPEN CARRY or WEAR A UNIFORM?
    After all, they'll be the first ones shot.

I wondered that my self. Good point.

On a side note, but not really.

For those that don't like the idea of Open Carry. I think it is a mistake for gun owners to let LEO be "viewed" as the only ones that have a right to carry, open or concealed.

Don't we exacerbate this perception by not open carrying? Don't we reinforce the legitimacy of our right to bare arms by open carrying?

Top Bottom