• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captcarl

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    So, what keeps an individual from starting with a trust that only has 1 other trustee, then once they get all of their NFA goodies, amending their trust so they have many more on it?

This whole proposal is just ridiculous. Just another government regulation that will do nothing to curb any type of violence whatsoever, but we already know that isn't the goal behind it.

I would like to know this as well. I am not financially in a position to make any nfa purchases before this goes into effect, but if after that period would my soon to be wife have to be fingerprinted and photographs submitted to be added to my trust, or only if the trust were to make a purchase.

And I agree completely agree steve, we all know what the intensions in all this are. "Notifications" to local governments so that those on the ground closest know where things are... Does does notification only occur at purchase, or also if an item is permanently moved?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Maybe it's just how I am reading in, but if this goes into effect, wouldn't buying a NFA item without the trust be a lot easier? Quite frankly, I don't want my parents to have the burden of paperwork/being-treated-like-a-criminal if I buy more NFA items because they are on my trust.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Maybe it's just how I am reading in, but if this goes into effect, wouldn't buying a NFA item without the trust be a lot easier? Quite frankly, I don't want my parents to have the burden of paperwork/being-treated-like-a-criminal if I buy more NFA items because they are on my trust.

Could always ammend the trust and make them beneficiaries only. That way they wouldn't be considered a responsible party.

Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    my question is what about my kids who are beneficiaries and then they turn 21 do I just make them trustees at that point I will be done with NFA items.............maybe

captcarl

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Kirk, thank you for that link, that was very helpful and creditable.

With needing fingerprints and photos, will e-file be abandoned even for trusts? Only option I am imagining would be to have the photos and prints done as a service *and at a COST to us!* similar to being printed for LTCH, where the prints and photos are added through that third party to your application.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Anyone have a clue on how the CLEO notification part is supposed to work? How exactly are you supposed to prove this notification? Are they going to issue a form, or do you just have send it to them with receipt notification, to prove they took delivery of it.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Are these background checks / finger prints only going to occur on the trustees or also beneficiaries?

If just trustees, couldn't the grantor remove all trustees prior to submission so only he/she gets the background check. And then add them back onto the trust as soon as the form has been sent out? Since you are only supposed to submit the most updated trust at the next application. This would get around needing to get fingerprints for everyone.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I question the logistic of getting a finger prints? Do I have to go the county jail to get a mug shot and finger printed? When I lived in Marion county they did it as part of my cleo sign off..same process here now?

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    There is no way they can make everyone submit finger prints and photos if they are on a trust. That would take up so much of the police's time that they need for more important things. This is all just BS.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    A lot of good questions and my guess is that the .gov hasn't thought much, if any, of this through before making the decision to do it, but that really shouldn't surprise anyone given a group of folks who continually demonstrate an inability to anticipate consequences of their actions.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    At least the count down hasn't begun since it's not on the federal registry yet... I am curious as to if you add someone after the day it takes effect if they will need to go be finger printed, have mug shots etc. If so I may want to make the one possible future amendment before then.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    At least the count down hasn't begun since it's not on the federal registry yet... I am curious as to if you add someone after the day it takes effect if they will need to go be finger printed, have mug shots etc. If so I may want to make the one possible future amendment before then.

No, according to the wording, you don't have to submit prints until applying for something. So, if you add someone after this takes effect, you wouldn't do prints and pics for them until you submitted a new form for your next item. If you don't add anymore items to the trust, that person would never submit the prints.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I question the logistic of getting a finger prints? Do I have to go the county jail to get a mug shot and finger printed? When I lived in Marion county they did it as part of my cleo sign off..same process here now?

Pics are done anywhere that takes passport photos. Walgreens, CVS Walmart, etc... I take my own with a digital camera and print them on my inkjet printer. All it says for prints is that there are done by someone equipped to do them. Some people buy a fingerprint kit from the Internet and roll their own, I go down to the police station with the cards and they do them for me.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Anyone have a clue on how the CLEO notification part is supposed to work? How exactly are you supposed to prove this notification? Are they going to issue a form, or do you just have send it to them with receipt notification, to prove they took delivery of it.

If it's anything like the notification for an FFL licensee, it's just on you to do it, and you certify when you sign the form that you did it. You won't have to prove that you notified them.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    No, according to the wording, you don't have to submit prints until applying for something. So, if you add someone after this takes effect, you wouldn't do prints and pics for them until you submitted a new form for your next item. If you don't add anymore items to the trust, that person would never submit the prints.

Makes sense... Good to know! Creates another issue for them but I won't complain...

I honestly could care less if they inform my CLEO I just don't want to have to mess with all of the photos, finger prints, etc... Pain in the butt!

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

From what I read that is the case as long as you continue to submit applications every 24 months. So as long as you are constantly submitting forms, no new prints need to be sent. If there is a 24 month lull you will need to submit them for everyone again. .... this is what I gathered from the 41p thread going on over on arfcom

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Makes sense... Good to know! Creates another issue for them but I won't complain...

I honestly could care less if they inform my CLEO I just don't want to have to mess with all of the photos, finger prints, etc... Pain in the butt!

If will be on you to inform. You will send a copy of your Form in to your CLEO at the same time or before you submit it to the NFA branch.

Top Bottom