Atheists can't hold office in seven states.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Clearly an unconstitutional law. Arguably a "blue" law. I'm all for it being repealed.

As an actual application - not much of an issue.

Sadly - there have been much worse things done in our history as a nation. And on all sides of the religion issue. Off the top of my head the Extermination Order against the Mormons in the state of Missouri comes to mind. It was on the books until the 1970's or 80 IIRC . And it was actually carried out back in the day. I'm sure that there have been other similarly unconstitutional laws against Catholics, Jews, etc.

Again, I don't think this one's in any danger of being actually APPLIED. Certainly worth getting off the books. And arguably NOT worth getting your knickers in a twist over. Just fix it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Good to know 7 states are stuck in the middle ages...... Its nice to know that some states just blatantly ignored the constitution and the founding fathers wishes when they made up those insane laws.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Good to know 7 states are stuck in the middle ages...... Its nice to know that some states just blatantly ignored the constitution and the founding fathers wishes when they made up those insane laws.

Well technically, the US Constitution wasn't binding to the states.... lots of states mirrored it, yes, but the restrictions were meant for the federal govt, only.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem

EVERY state has them. They come from different angles. But EVERY one of the 50 has them.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Denny et al. - lighten up. If the law is a blue law, it should be repealed. I think most here would agree with that. And surely enough in society to make it happen.

If it is being actively enforced (I don't think it is), THEN it's probably worth getting your panties in a wad about. Until then , simply work to get it repealed and don't go all Oprah Winfrey holy-crap-I'm-a-victim on us. I can't see where any of this has been enforced at all.

It's about keeping the response somewhat proportional to the threat.

Yeesh.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

pun-show-meme-generator-two-tickets-to-the-pun-show-15a185.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The article even leads with the case that declared such laws unconstitutional. This is an absurd thing to argue about, even by INGO standards.

Look, I'm a big fan of legislatures getting tied up (pause)
    ... with things that don't really matter. Hello gridlock, my old friend, its nice to see you once again.

But, in this case, as noted upthread, every state has laws that are either unenforced or unenforceable. The OCD in me says, "Yes, they should clean those up." But, since nothing bad is really happening with them, it is a super-low priority.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    So you would vote for someone of like beliefs even if they weren't the best candidate for the position?
    problems arise when people put words into mouths that weren't spoken nor implied.

Since that is a real problem here, I'm sure I have no way to convey myself well enough for anyone to understand well enough for this not to happen. I make one statement in most threads then possibly a second then decide there are no people here I can speak with on any level who will not find some way to TAKE offense. Therefore, I stop replying at all because I see no way to cause anyone to understand me, short of a real life meeting. Replying to assumptions is tedious at best and no fun in any case. This medium, text, tends not to be conducive of these sorts of conversations and I should probably not even bothered.

Last edited:

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    There will always be someone who looks to be offended.

and if you look for an offense, you will find one.

no law should restrict someone from holding office due to religious belief.
    but if some state just happened to vote all officeholders Christian, someone would try to limit the options or sue to make things supposedly equal (in their eyes)

and would be be just as wrong in doing so.

Top Bottom