• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So you bypassed the wireless connectivity issues, by going hardwire between the laptop and the extender/access point?

That's an ok workaround if you are happy with staying tethered with the laptop. Won't help other wireless devices if the issue is in fact with your wireless network as opposed to the laptop iteslef being/having a problem with wifi connectivity (which you said you were fine at other locations with the same laptop).
    If I understand correctly, he connected an ethernet cable to one of the mesh access points and hasn't had a problem. So the AT&T devices are communicating to each other without a problem, but perhaps just his laptop was having an issue?

@doddg, is it just the laptop causing you problems now? Given that your problems went away when you connected with a cable, it might be that you have an issue with the laptop's wireless config or hardware.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So you bypassed the wireless connectivity issues, by going hardwire between the laptop and the extender/access point?
    That's an ok workaround if you are happy with staying tethered with the laptop. Won't help other wireless devices if the issue is in fact with your wireless network as opposed to the laptop iteslef being/having a problem with wifi connectivity (which you said you were fine at other locations with the same laptop).

1. Your assessment is correct.
    2. It handles my usage context.
    3. I'm just thrilled I can ignore it and go on with my life w/o having to change vendors for now.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    @doddg, is it just the laptop causing you problems now? Given that your problems went away when you connected with a cable, it might be that you have an issue with the laptop's wireless config or hardware.

Kind of what I was thinking, though he did say no issues at other locations on wireless using that laptop on WiFi. Though could still potentially be a laptop wireless card issue that is intermittent, etc or as you said a config issue that is having a problem with his home network, etc.

But sounds like he's satisfied.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If I understand correctly, he connected an ethernet cable to one of the mesh access points and hasn't had a problem. So the AT&T devices are communicating to each other without a problem, but perhaps just his laptop was having an issue?

1. Your thinking was mine during this process, but: I had no problem for 5 days with my laptop during Xmas vacation at my daughter's house below Nashville, TN and when I went to Ziebart and used my laptop for 2 hours w/o any issue, which is the week ATT came in I had to face facts that my laptop was not the issue.
    2. Baffling: it doesn't add up.
    3. I'm almost afraid to say this b/c it doesn't make sense (not stopped me before), but I remember my son-in-law saying as he moved around the house checking the connection while carrying my laptop with him, that the connection dropped when he sat down in my big chair!!!???
    4. Now, I'm aware that dimmers in a house/room can interfere with reception, as well as having a treadmill in the room: BUT A CHAIR???!!!!
    5. Baffling.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    1. Your thinking was mine during this process, but: I had no problem for 5 days with my laptop during Xmas vacation at my daughter's house below Nashville, TN and when I went to Ziebart and used my laptop for 2 hours w/o any issue, which is the week ATT came in I had to face facts that my laptop was not the issue.
    3. I'm almost afraid to say this b/c it doesn't make sense (not stopped me before), but I remember my son-in-law saying as he moved around the house checking the connection while carrying my laptop with him, that the connection dropped when he sat down in my big chair!!!???
    4. Now, I'm aware that dimmers in a house/room can interfere with reception, as well as having a treadmill in the room: BUT A CHAIR???!!!!
    5. Baffling.
    I often blame computer problems on a dead short between my chair and the keyboard. ;)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    5. Baffling.

Could be other things in that area. Other 2.4 Ghz signals, etc if you are using 2.4 and not 5 Ghz for that laptop connection. Lots of factors.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    For fun, the last 2 evenings I have disconnected the ethernet net wire and went to the kitchen (20' away with no walls) and I started to lose connection some, but not bad, but when I went back to my big chair, I started getting disconnected intermittantly again consistently.
    Back to the ethernet, which makes me forget my ATT woes.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For fun, the last 2 evenings I have disconnected the ethernet net wire and went to the kitchen (20' away with no walls) and I started to lose connection some, but not bad, but when I went back to my big chair, I started getting disconnected intermittantly again consistently.
    Back to the ethernet, which makes me forget my ATT woes.
    Since you say that other wireless devices seem to have no problems and your laptop works wirelessly at other locations you almost certainly have an issue with the software wireless config or one of the wireless antennas in the laptop. There are usually 2 - 4 antennas. If it were me I'd force it to stay on the 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz band while connected to your home network to try and isolate the issue further.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Since you say that other wireless devices seem to have no problems and your laptop works wirelessly at other locations you almost certainly have an issue with the software wireless config or one of the wireless antennas in the laptop. There are usually 2 - 4 antennas. If it were me I'd force it to stay on the 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz band while connected to your home network to try and isolate the issue further.

I've gotta say, I admire you guys that can force your computers (or wireless networks for that matter) do to anything. I'm clueless at that kind of stuff. Most of the time I just push buttons, reboot, reset, etc. until it either works or it doesn't. :): Mine is working... for now... knock wood. That's all I know.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Conclusion and discoveries from rants & complaints about my ATT internet & cable the last 2 yrs.
    Short version: yesterday switched back to Xfinity (they originally got too high after 2 yr. promotion done), like I should have done when moving to Wanamaker Nov. 10th, 2017 instead of putting up with 25 Mbps that I only got half that mostly & much lower with disconnections and having to buy a booster.

Tuesday (Dec.3rd) I got an Xfinity package of 200 Mbps speed & 200+ channels with a $150 Visa for 2 yrs.
    Then I'll have to deal with losing cable and go to streaming, when they bump it up.
    I won't switch back to ATT to get a "deal" like I usually do every 2 yrs.
    I didn't do this last year b/c Xfinity didn't have a deal that saved me any money.
    I didn't do it 2 yrs. ago b/c I had ATT with 50 Mbps in my old neighborhood w/o issue and was glad to have it: more channels & 1000 hours of recording free (wonderful).

Discoveries:
    1. The wire wrapped around the outside of the house is not being used for my old ATT or my new Xfinity.
    2. The house came prewired with 8 different "hookups" for cable , which were inside a "plate" in the wall of the garage.
    3. All TVs are hooked up via a hard cable line (already in wall) except the one in the kitchen is wireless.
    4. The router/modem is hooked directly to the desktop cmp via ethernet in dining room (not back in the corner of the house).
    5. Speedtests now with Xfinity:
    Ookla:
    DOWNLOAD=Mbps 86.72
    Upload=12 Mpbs

ATT:
    Upload=Mbps12.47 DOWNLOAD=Mbps230.5

Xfinity xFi Speed Test
    235=Download Upload=11.7

6. I could have saved $20/mo. by getting the 125+ channels instead of the 200+ channels, but I splurged since I would miss out on my Smithsonian & 3 other science/nature channels.
    7. I was able to eliminate 2 wires by my chair, I in my wife's bedroom there were about 4 wires & 3 boxes that we were able to do away with.
    8. Taking my 4 sacks of hardware (boxes & adapters, plugins) back to Fed Ex to ship return to ATT (will keep receipt b/c ATT will try to charge you for hardware if you don't).
    9. ATT is still charging me for the month of December since my billing cycle goes from end of November to end of December (no refund of unused portion): 1 last insult.
    Should have done this before Thanksgiving.
    I didn't pay the ATT bill that was due in a couple of weeks since I cancelled, but they say I have to do so.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I’m just gonna leave this here for future reference

1. Anytime your contract ends, you should probably call in to get the next promotion. Every company will do it, especially if you are bundled with ATT

2. Those wireless extenders usually hurt more than help. I’d recommend those mesh ones like the Orbi or the Eero. These help most of you have a 3 store house, sprawling house, or live by other detectable WiFi networks.

3. Pretty much anything you want to watch can be found on the Internet, lots of people pay double for the ease of the “old way” of watching TV

If you have more questions feel free to DM me, I’d be happy to help out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    3. Pretty much anything you want to watch can be found on the Internet, lots of people pay double for the ease of the “old way” of watching TV

Since moving to fiber and various streaming services, my wife's single largest complaint is the lack of "channels". She wants the old remote back, where she can enter a channel number and go there directly. She HATES using various streaming apps and scrolling around. She would probably be SUPER happy with the old set-top box and channel "slider" (remember those?).

My biggest adjustment has been moving from "live" TV to time-shifted programs. I grew up tuning into my favorite show at 8PM on Wednesday. Now, I can watch the entire season back-to-back, and then have nothing to watch for a couple of months until the next season is released. Yeah... first world problems.

I will say... Gigabit fiber, a good wireless network (I use commercial access points), and Amazon Firesticks are the way to go. I just add the other "apps" I want to the stick (like Hulu, Netflix, and various "channel" apps like History Channel, etc....). We have firesticks on 2 TVs and then use the Amazon Show as another TV in the kitchen.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I will say... Gigabit fiber, a good wireless network (I use commercial access points), and Amazon Firesticks are the way to go. I just add the other "apps" I want to the stick (like Hulu, Netflix, and various "channel" apps like History Channel, etc....). We have firesticks on 2 TVs and then use the Amazon Show as another TV in the kitchen.

This

Get fast Internet, get a fire stick and download Cinema or the other apps that will let you stream any show you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m just gonna leave this here for future reference

1. Anytime your contract ends, you should probably call in to get the next promotion. Every company will do it, especially if you are bundled with ATT

Agreed, and that is the way it used to be.
    But, no, ATT would not give me any consideration when my bill went up from $122 to $180 b/c my 2 yr. contract ended last year.
    I had to cut my channels down to get it to $156 and was waiting a "convenient time" to go to streaming with Xfinity, b/c the connection/speed here in this neighborhood was not sufficient to stream with ATT.
    In my experience in the past, I used to be able to call a number & get consideration or leave, and they (either company) would be very helpful, but that all changed yrs. ago.
    Either company would literally call me a month after I'd switched with a deal to make me stay: too late by then.

2. Those wireless extenders usually hurt more than help. I’d recommend those mesh ones like the Orbi or the Eero. These help most of you have a 3 store house, sprawling house, or live by other detectable WiFi networks.

I have a small 1535 sq. ft. house. I had no trouble with ATT in my bigger 1800 sq. ft. house where I had my 50 Mbps speed: go figure.
    The Desktop cmp is 20' from me (parallel at end of a hallway) did fine, as did the TV in the kitchen (further away), but my laptop would not connect sometimes, and my TV in my bedroom much closer to the router would have connections issues as well: puzzling.

Yes, it is a matter of convenience. We are spoiled.
    My 34 yr. old son never has had cable & my 39 yr. old daughter & husband cut the cord 3 yrs. ago, but once I heard him comment it costs nearly the same to have the different venues for streaming than when they had cable.
    He has a speed of 900 Mbps below Nashville, TN in Franklin. (yes, I called him a liar as well but he showed me the Ookla speed check). My Xfinity Tech yesterday says he has 1.5 Gig!!!!!)
    No one steaming service has all we want, so we have to have 3 different services to get it, which doesn't save any money.
    Must haves: Hallmark Channels (3), Science & History & animal/nature channels (about 10 different ones I like) & HGTV & local channels.

If you have more questions feel free to DM me, I’d be happy to help out.

Appreciate it, but I should be fine now for the next 2 yrs. :laugh:
    Then, when they raise it up $40-$50, I'll be looking on streaming, since I won't go back to ATT living in this neglected neighborhood.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All of these things look/sound great but not unlike Eldirectors spouse mine would be in a crappy mood having to learn and use something that complicated. I try not to over complicate life as well.....:)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I just dumped DirecTV because they crept up over $200/month without ever offering me a hardware upgrade. I did have TONS of channels though. I'm now using a few Amazon FireTV 4k sticks to stream my media & can get everything I want for far less $.

Next on the agenda is getting a better deal on Comcast / Xfinity service. I need constant on internet for my security cameras, etc. I don't need 200Mbps but I'll take it if I can keep it under ~$50/mo. I'm paying ~$70/mo now for just internet.
    A buddy called Comcast & said he was on a "fixed income now" and they knocked $20/month off of his bill. I might need to try that. :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Staying tuned for the newest ways to handle the communication/entertainment wallet drain.

I'm not that far off my annual Comcast/Xfinty Internet cable bill renegotiation. It's quite a crock to have to do this, but unless you all tell me a better way, it's necessary. It's shameful to have to beg to get the reasonable price every year.

At least this year I was smart enough to make an annual calendar reminder to be ready for that shocking billing increase that comes without notice...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Staying tuned for the newest ways to handle the communication/entertainment wallet drain.
    I'm not that far off my annual Comcast/Xfinty Internet cable bill renegotiation. It's quite a crock to have to do this, but unless you all tell me a better way, it's necessary. It's shameful to have to beg to get the reasonable price every year.
    At least this year I was smart enough to make an annual calendar reminder to be ready for that shocking billing increase that comes without notice...

My contract was up that I was paying $122/mo. awhile back.
    I called them and talked with them and they put me at $150.
    After a month or two it jumped up to $180/mo. :scratch:
    I called puzzled about it since we had just talked but they were "very sorry" about it.
    I had to cut back on channels, losing some of my favorite ones for them to reign it back to $155.

ATT's days were numbered at that point, but that was a year ago, and I was too "busy-in-retirement" to mess with it.
    When my son-in-law was here, he found this deal that I could live with, that was not available a year ago.
    The $150 Visa sealed the deal, especially since ATT is making me pay for this money with no refund for not using it but 3 days in December.
    Next step in 2 yrs.: cut cable and live with streaming.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I feel for you folks with "the channels." The companies have you by the short hairs somewhat.

I guess I should not complain, as I only use Internet. Much less complication and much much less of a monthly bill to argue over.

Top Bottom