• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think you were wrong and that the rounds should be emptied from the internal magazine.

At the range I am a member of, I would not jump up and down about it, but I would say something if I noticed it.

Thank you and Churchmouse for the input. Always willing to believe I could be wrong, which is why I asked. I think in the future I will load fewer in the magazine to simplify clearing. Three would probly be about right.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    If you are a member of the club where I shoot-------you have been given--a set of rules---and a 1 hour orientation speech---and there are rules posted all over the covered firing line----------I guess I am a range(grouch)officer-------a minor infraction("cease fire")and you dont clear your firearm and put it down,I will politely give you a warning------handle the FIREARM while someone is downrange(dont give a dam if its cleared,and you are putting away)--I will yell at you----------fire a firearm while cease fire has been called(and all persons have heard the command)you will lose your electronic key......refuse to leave when ordered to do so,you will have to explain to the Sheriff

"cease fire"-----to be obeyed without question------period-----------I am the guy with the orange hat that says "RSO"( RANGE SAFETY OFFICER)---I WILL make the range as safe as I possibly can for everyone

next time you see me at the range --just ask,I will give you my pay for being a RSO-----------oh wait,I VOLUNTEER MY TIME to help keep the range safe

tallend:popcorn:

If is a range that in NE of Indy, my wife and I were members until last year for some of the reasons discussed here. I am amazed at the people that either ignore the rule or just assume that they do not apply to them. As mentioned I have been barrel swept during cease fires by a group of guys that were to busy talking than paying attention. There was even one time when the range was cold that an "old timer" yelled at my wife for carrying the clean up broom back to where it belonged. Once he figured out it was a broom he made up some BS excuse.

Don't get me wrong, I am all about being safe and doing the right thing, but of the ten times I was at the range last year there were at least five occurrences. These odds are to high for me and we did not join this year. Unfortunately you cannot fix stupid with some people and I do not want to be on the receiving end.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Ha Ha Ha, sounds like it. He needs to do what I have done, in the past, with "that guy". I look straight at them, and tell them I don't give a damn what they think, and to mind their own business. They don't like you after that, but who cares.
    Unless, of course, they have the authority to ban you.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Strange how you can go someplace and interact with other people dozen of times with not a single issue.
    Hell, even... "Hey, you want to shoot my gun?" or "hey, does your son want to shoot my rifle?"
    Everybody pretty much minds their business and goes about their interactions with each other following pretty simple and straight forward rules....

Then you get one guy that shows up and acts like King Cock and pisses off everybody around him. Don't be that guy.

Years ago, I was at Jasper-Pulaski range trying to do some plinking. Suddenly some ol' boy showed up to sight in his muzzle loader for turkey season. Yep, you guessed it. Every shot or two it was, "DOWN RANGE"! Irritating as hell! At one point I was sitting on my bench, turned 180 degrees away from "Downrange" loading the tube magazine on my Marlin .22 levergun, and got reminded again that it was down range, kinda snarky like. So I quit till he was back seated at his bench, and of course it was "Downrange " every d*mn shot, or two. 'Course he knew better, 'cause, after all, he had the befethered hat and snakeskin boots.....

Deprime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hancock Co.
    As an after thought, are there any private ranges worth being a member of near Greenfield that I could look into joining? I like WW, but with my work schedule, WW isn't always a good option for me.

Check out the link below for the Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club. The club is a few miles south of Anderson and just off of SR109 near Emporia. The yearly dues are around $50 or $60 dollars with the first year being higher with the initiation fee. They have a really nice rifle and pistol range. They are in the process of putting in a 200 yard rifle range as well. I have been a member there for several years now and have never seen anything even remotely approaching some of the crazy stuff that I have seen at Wilbur Wright in years past. Shoot me a PM if you get interested and want to check the range out.

Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Would like an opinion if there are serious peeps still following this thread. This past summer shooting pre-1923 mausers (5 round staggered internal box magazine) at an ODNR range. A cease fire is asked for and I think I comply. I lock open the action and set my rifle on the bench, there are still three rounds in the magazine. Another shooter tells me I should have cleared the magazine. In the back of my mind I'm thinking 'wouldn't this require extensive cycling of my firearms action when you just asked for a cease fire?' but ... not my house, not my argument.

Kind of ticky-tack.

Yes, you probably should cycle out the cartridges (three cycles doesn't sound 'extensive'), but if your beside me and otherwise courteous and safe, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I apologize and indicate I will clear the magazine in the future. I then pack up and leave. The opinion I seek is was I right or wrong. I felt that rounds remaining in this type of magazine with the bolt locked back and open was perfectly safe.

So, did you remove the rounds before packing up or just leave them in there?

I do have a problem with people that are so indignant about being politely asked (as I infer here) to strictly comply with the the rules to make a show of their dismissal in a passive-aggressive way.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Years ago, I was at Jasper-Pulaski range trying to do some plinking. Suddenly some ol' boy showed up to sight in his muzzle loader for turkey season. Yep, you guessed it. Every shot or two it was, "DOWN RANGE"! Irritating as hell! At one point I was sitting on my bench, turned 180 degrees away from "Downrange" loading the tube magazine on my Marlin .22 levergun, and got reminded again that it was down range, kinda snarky like. So I quit till he was back seated at his bench, and of course it was "Downrange " every d*mn shot, or two. 'Course he knew better, 'cause, after all, he had the befethered hat and snakeskin boots.....

hehehe...you should have tried this with your Marlin...

Bang....DOWNRANGE !!
    Bang....DOWNRANGE !!

But wait until he's just about loaded his smokestick...and almost ready to cock it.

Take your sweet time looking at your target, maybe take a picture or two of it, then go back to the bench, grab up the Marlin...rinse and repeat.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Used to be able to just drive down to atterbury to the range where they had a shack that sometimes had an old guy who didn't give a ****, shoot whatever and however you wanted and make it a good day. Now you go to atterbury and it feels like a prison. Totaly not a fun experience at all. Frankly it sucks.
    Oh and back in the day when it was just a shack, the only person I ever heard shooting them self or anyone else was a sherriff deputy who shot himself in the leg. Genius.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Sadly for a lot of us, Atterbury is our only choice if we want to shoot centerfire more than 25 yds.
    To some degree, I don't mind the strictness since they keep it fairly safe. Considering some of the rookie moves I have seen there, I'm glad someone is keeping an eye out.
    Id love to have a place on the westside to shoot centerfire and play with some tannerite and other things that most ranges frown on.

Matt

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    But they really don't stop anything from happening. Hence why you and I both have seen stupid things there. I don't think ro's are a good thing honestly. People will police themselves and if not there's consequences to pay. It's called life. This Barney the dinasour world we have lives in the last 15-20 years is a joke. Medals for everyone dee da dee

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    hehehe...you should have tried this with your Marlin...

Bang....DOWNRANGE !!
    Bang....DOWNRANGE !!

But wait until he's just about loaded his smokestick...and almost ready to cock it.

Take your sweet time looking at your target, maybe take a picture or two of it, then go back to the bench, grab up the Marlin...rinse and repeat.
    Pistol Bob is WISE! :cool:

ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart
    DNR ranges have slowly evolved with cancer filled RSOs

Nothing, I mean nothing ruins a day at the range like a power tripping retiree.

Willow Slough, JP and now Winimac

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    DNR ranges have slowly evolved with cancer filled RSOs

Nothing, I mean nothing ruins a day at the range like a power tripping retiree.

Willow Slough, JP and now Winimac
    I disagree with the generalization. I've been to the DNR range Deer Creek with zero problems. The management and RSO's are great people and have even better attitudes. Maybe you should consider a drive to a place worth shooting at. Plus they have steel targets.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I disagree with the generalization. I've been to the DNR range Deer Creek with zero problems. The management and RSO's are great people and have even better attitudes. Maybe you should consider a drive to a place worth shooting at. Plus they have steel targets.

Does Deer Creek have any odd rules like "no prone shooting" or anything else that would surprise a first time visitor?

Top Bottom