• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Wonder if he'd done something before the video started that caused that reaction? Was he skipping because he'd just nailed a cop with a brick? Had he just finished beating the crap out of someone, and was skipping along to celebrate?

Heck... even those don't justify the clobbering, IMHO. Even if he had just committed some violent act, he was under control after the first contact.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We have to remember that this happens every single day.

This is why the police and IPAC fought Indiana Rule of Evidence 617 tooth and nail, even gaining 2010 as the last year IMPD can interrogate without video taping. Law enforcement is terrified of what these tapes will show.

We need to demand that our public officials prosecute these cases. Without handheld video becoming more prevelant it is getting harder and harder for the government to hide these incidents. Stay on them.:)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We need to demand that our public officials prosecute these cases. Without handheld video becoming more prevelant it is getting harder and harder for the government to hide these incidents. Stay on them.:)
    Like that's ever gonna happen. Even tho the public is bringing the game to them, we still see photographers being arrested and having their films erased by the cops. Then they're charged with either wire tapping (in some locations) or the usual charge of disorderly conduct (otherwise known as contempt of cop). As some INGO enforcers have stated, they don't really care, but that's definitely not the case in a large segment of this country. As for the enforcers being prosecuted....seriously? You know that's highly unlikely to happen, as we see all too frequently.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    He probably said something stupid, they may have told him to back-off right away and he didn't, the Police went too far with it though, no doubt.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As some INGO enforcers have stated, they don't really care, but that's definitely not the case in a large segment of this country. As for the enforcers being prosecuted....seriously? You know that's highly unlikely to happen, as we see all too frequently.

I'll admit it is always a struggle as judges will always believe the police over the victims of police misconduct, but progress is being made.

Surely you would admit the successful prosecutions in New Orleans. Or, what about the California BART cop who was videotaped executing an arrestee? The video taped police misconduct in Chicago?

Handheld video is a game changer and the police know it and that is why they are fighting video tooth and nail.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Handheld video is a game changer and the police know it and that is why they are fighting video tooth and nail.

Judge Napolitano agrees. "The camera is the new gun."

“Let me say this. The camera is the new gun. Filming the government and showing its excesses and showing its utter ignorance of the Constitution which every person who works for the government has taken an oath to uphold, will have massive effect. And we of course who believe in your civil liberties and your right not to be stopped by the government absent some demonstrable evidence of criminal activity will make sure that this tape, let’s just say, will be seen by a great number of people.”

“The camera is the new gun” | Photography is Not a Crime

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'll admit it is always a struggle as judges will always believe the police over the victims of police misconduct, but progress is being made.

Surely you would admit the successful prosecutions in New Orleans. Or, what about the California BART cop who was videotaped executing an arrestee? The video taped police misconduct in Chicago?

Well, the NOLA case is still in progress, (and the judge seems appalled at their behaviour), and I hope we're going to see capital murder charges but, I'm not going to hold my breath. The BART cop is a good example but the Chicago tape (or at least one of them) wasn't. The cop only lost his job. Is that really enough for beating the crap out of a defenceless woman? You do make a good point, but the cases where these events happens are, as you said a daily occurrence and the vast majority usually skate with no criminal charges. Cameras do make a difference, but the system is broken and unlikely to get better, even with the evidence.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    True. Look how little attention the Danziger Bridge massacre has gotten because we don't have a video.

You kidding?

A guy shot in his back? Oh yeah, definitely self-defense on the cops' part - it's SO easy for someone to shoot facing away from them with his arms facing behind him with the gun he DIDN'T have.

The fog of war is sometimes pretty clear.

:twocents:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Well, the NOLA case is still in progress, (and the judge seems appalled at their behaviour), and I hope we're going to see capital murder charges but, I'm not going to hold my breath. The BART cop is a good example but the Chicago tape (or at least one of them) wasn't. The cop only lost his job. Is that really enough for beating the crap out of a defenceless woman? You do make a good point, but the cases where these events happens are, as you said a daily occurrence and the vast majority usually skate with no criminal charges. Cameras do make a difference, but the system is broken and unlikely to get better, even with the evidence.

The last thing I heard was there were 3(I think) officers charged with first degree murder and another 1 or 2 charged with second and attempted, but then they pleaded guilty to something like conspiracy to cover up evidence(sorry, I didn't feel like looking up the exact term, but you catch my drift), so all the murder charges were dropped.:xmad:

I hope you're right and they are still pushing to get those murderous, blood thirsty scumbags of the streets.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    You kidding?

A guy shot in his back? Oh yeah, definitely self-defense on the cops' part - it's SO easy for someone to shoot facing away from them with his arms facing behind him with the gun he DIDN'T have.

The fog of war is sometimes pretty clear.

:twocents:

Yeah, that whole situation is pretty disgusting. (how they handled themselves while on duty and how the courts are handling it now)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The last thing I heard was there were 3(I think) officers charged with first degree murder and another 1 or 2 charged with second and attempted, but then they pleaded guilty to something like conspiracy to cover up evidence(sorry, I didn't feel like looking up the exact term, but you catch my drift), so all the murder charges were dropped.:xmad:

I hope you're right and they are still pushing to get those murderous, blood thirsty scumbags of the streets.
    Agreed. It was discussed here a week or so ago.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/85424-more_katrina_new_orleans_fallout.html
    I just don't have faith that system works anymore. I see cases that should result in hard time, being decided at an administrative level, rather than in a court and people getting away with crimes that would have us behind bars in a heartbeat.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    In any court, immediately invoke equity: "I have no just, plain, or adequate remedy at law." This is more for tortious claims, but still, when you're a layman, this immediately turns the court into a court of equity, not one of law and makes your case MUCH simpler to prove - or thus I have been told by several professors. (Thanks to Dr. Howard for her wisdom in this.)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    as you said a daily occurrence and the vast majority usually skate with no criminal charges.

Yes, this behaviour, while in the far minority, does transpire daily (or nightly). However, the vast majority of officers skate because:

1. The complaining witnesses are less than optimal (criminal histories, intoxicated, etc.).

2. Judges have a vested interested, a built in bias, in giving the police far more credibility than criminal defendants.

3. There is no video tape in a vast majority of the cases. Or, the video tape goes missing or is destroyed somehow as it is in police custody. The new handheld videos, even on cell phones change this. The police are terrified of it. The BART incident made them realize that they are being recorded too.

In fact, I was just discussing this with some prosecutors last week, to listen to the panicked spin from IPAC and NADA, I would anticipate legislation or administrative rule changes prohibiting cameras and video on cell phones once we get a Republican administration.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There may be some fear, but certainly not enough, as the OK case proves. A bad actor skates with no charges and likely not even an administrative note. Even in the most egregious cases they scream "Garrity" and it's case closed, for the most part. The coverup ensues and everything gets compartmentalised and shut down. Taping is going to make a bit of difference in the long run, but there are too many people in the system that are more than willing to overlook the bad cases. It doesn't help that there's a large segment of the populace that takes the "they can do no wrong attitude" that enables the bad actors.

I love Carlos Miller's site. It's a daily stop for me.

Top Bottom