• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    They should have to do jumping jacks on the roof of a burning building and recite the classes of fires before they can start fighting the fire. Every sailor is a fireman.

Every soldier is an infantryman.

Every airman?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I cannot speak for Plainfield. But the trend is that schools have the ability now to wait on evacuation to be sure that it is not an active shooter situation like was the case in Parkland. The training steps are to start out of the building and be prepared to turn around and re-enter if things are not as advertised.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I cannot speak for Plainfield. But the trend is that schools have the ability now to wait on evacuation to be sure that it is not an active shooter situation like was the case in Parkland. The training steps are to start out of the building and be prepared to turn around and re-enter if things are not as advertised.

It can be a fire, and shooter. The two are mutually exclusive.

Also, do we wait on a class load of kindergartners to get crispied before someone evaluates that's a bad idea?

How the heck to you verify a fire in 3 minutes?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The elementary grades proceed out as if it is a fire. The teacher is in the lead and if something is out of place they re-enter the building. If there is not smoke or flames present then re-entry is not a big deal. If there is smoke and flames then outside we go in a hurry.

I usually bring up the rear with my high school classes. I need to make sure everyone exits and no one lags behind for some reason. I cannot lead they way out and bring up the rear. A choice has to be made.

In the case of Parkland it was the second fire alarm of the day. Folks knew that was strange. A second alarm in a day will not necessarily result in immediate evacuation.

The totality of the circumstances has to be considered in any event.

You have to go way back to find someone dying at school from a fire. Shootings not far.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    They should have to do jumping jacks on the roof of a burning building and recite the classes of fires before they can start fighting the fire. Every sailor is a fireman.

Every soldier is an infantryman.

Every airman?
    Picked the right recruiter. A-B-C works on any fire, CO2 will get the beer cold in a hurry.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My child is at Plainfield and I’ve heard one somewhat disturbing thing. Students do not immediately leave the school when the fire alarm goes off. They hold the students in the classroom for up to 3 mins to be sure it’s a real fire. I have some issues with this. I somewhat understand the logic but think it could lead to something just as bad as a school shooting.

Fires go from SMALL to BIG in just 5 minutes.
    So 3 minutes is taking over half their time away.

Given the fire codes in today's buildings, (flame retardants, limited flammables, block walls, a metric buttload of exits, etc) 3 minutes is reasonable. And if there is fire, you'll smell it pretty quick.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Given the fire codes in today's buildings, (flame retardants, limited flammables, block walls, a metric buttload of exits, etc) 3 minutes is reasonable. And if there is fire, you'll smell it pretty quick.

I've seen fires that nobody new about until there were 3 story flames moving as fast as a car.

And we haven't seen deaths from fires, because of equipment and procedures.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The elementary grades proceed out as if it is a fire. The teacher is in the lead and if something is out of place they re-enter the building. If there is not smoke or flames present then re-entry is not a big deal. If there is smoke and flames then outside we go in a hurry.

I usually bring up the rear with my high school classes. I need to make sure everyone exits and no one lags behind for some reason. I cannot lead they way out and bring up the rear. A choice has to be made.

In the case of Parkland it was the second fire alarm of the day. Folks knew that was strange. A second alarm in a day will not necessarily result in immediate evacuation.

The totality of the circumstances has to be considered in any event.

You have to go way back to find someone dying at school from a fire. Shootings not far.

Dave Grossman brought up the "deaths in schools from fire in the last 50 years" analogy a while back I think on Tucker Carlson. Materials that don't burn as easy (my Dad's HS had wooden stairs that were oiled. Thankfully that's history), sprinkler systems, alarms and drills have been highly successful. More laws don't stop fire, water and better materials did make the difference. His point being more laws don't stop murderers, meeting an armed resistance stops them and deters them from trying.

You can't have a mass-casualty situation without a mass. A co-worker of mine in Iceland said that 20 years ago for a different circumstance but it still applies. Pulling a fire alarm at Parkland unlocked the doors and caused a mass of people to form.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    High school me would not have allowed himself to be herded and held in place if he believed a fire was a reasonable possibility.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Now children, don't panic.

We are attempting to assess whether there is an active shooter waiting for your mass exit in order to mow you all down with a full-semi-automatic assault rifle or if you are just in peril of being asphyxiated and burned to death.

Please remain calm.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We are going at this from the wrong end. Jumping through a bunch of stupid hoops is just what the teenage terrorists would want us to do. It sets them up for the next easy target, as proven to be the case so far.

What are we doing to those who have murdered/would murder our children? What are we doing to those who were in charge of their care? What are we doing to those who were complacent or even enabling to the deranged, to commit the evil that they did?

Our lack of will to handle the real problem has allowed a mentality to flourish that will continue to grow until there is no such thing as self defense. :twocents:

Indiana-state-fair-use-metal-detectors-entrances-year-fairgrounds

Metal detectors at Riley Hospital

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Coach, you need to develop a teachers training course.

I have a rough draft scratched out on paper. I need a place to implement it. A final plan would have to be formalized with each school, and the local police department. No one in Hendricks County is willing to get serious about it.

Top Bottom