• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Just took posession of a BRAND NEW S&W Mod. 637 Airwieght .38 Special, Snub-Nosed Stainless Revolver!!!! Haven't fired it yet, but the barrel says she'll eat + P fodder! Been wanting one of these for a while! Wish I knew how to post pics!!!!!!:rockwoot:Any word on this gun, good or bad?????

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    I don't think those are stainless. The frame is aluminum. The cylinder and barrel might be stainless.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    I don't think those are stainless. The frame is aluminum. The cylinder and barrel might be stainless.
    Yes. So me thinks I'll pack +P's and shoot regular .38 Specials out of her, most of the time, even though thre barrel is stamped .38 + P......

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Here is a picture of the SMITH & WESSON 637
    SW637Airweight.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    +p for carry...

Standard pressure for most of your practice. And a cylinder (or two, if you can handle it) of carry ammo for function / Point of Impact check.

+p is.... snappy in those little airweights.

-J- (proud owner and carrier of a 642)

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Very nice! I love my 442 for pocket carry, and I've been thinking about a 637 for a while. If you plan on pocket carry of the 637, it's probably worth practicing your draw a lot (unloaded, of course), with your thumb covering the exposed hammer to be sure it doesn't snag on your pocket. I carry my 637 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, and it works great.

+1 on carrying +P but mostly shooting regular .38--in a SD situation, I doubt I'd notice the recoil of the +P, but after a few cylinders of +P through any Airweight, my hand is shaking too much to shoot anymore!

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Great little gun. +P loads will definitely give you a "jolt", though - especially 158 grain +P lead semi-wadcutter hollow points (aka, "Chicago loads"). I reserve those for my Model 64.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    +p for carry...

Standard pressure for most of your practice. And a cylinder (or two, if you can handle it) of carry ammo for function / Point of Impact check.

+p is.... snappy in those little airweights.

-J- (proud owner and carrier of a 642)

Ditto!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Yes. So me thinks I'll pack +P's and shoot regular .38 Specials out of her, most of the time, even though thre barrel is stamped .38 + P......

Having put over 1K of my handloaded +p ammo through a Smith 442, it did not show any signs of loosening, even the crane screw! It will outlast YOU in the +p shooting department, feel free! :)

Worst case scenario, if you are original buyer, they have an awesome warranty. :rockwoot:

Those 637s rule. All I can find on the shelves are the hammerless ones. I rarely pocket carry and the single action function of a hammered model would be fun at the range! :D

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Having put over 1K of my handloaded +p ammo through a Smith 442, it did not show any signs of loosening, even the crane screw! It will outlast YOU in the +p shooting department, feel free! :)

Worst case scenario, if you are original buyer, they have an awesome warranty. :rockwoot:

Those 637s rule. All I can find on the shelves are the hammerless ones. I rarely pocket carry and the single action function of a hammered model would be fun at the range! :D
    Cool! So, you're a Venture Bros. fan too, huh????:D

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Great little gun. +P loads will definitely give you a "jolt", though - especially 158 grain +P lead semi-wadcutter hollow points (aka, "Chicago loads"). I reserve those for my Model 64.
    Years ago, I had a curved butt Mod. 19 snub. Shooting MAGS outta that thing was "Fun"...... :laugh:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Years ago, I had a curved butt Mod. 19 snub. Shooting MAGS outta that thing was "Fun"...... :laugh:
    Years ago I had a curved butt too... :laugh: but back on topic! I recently traded away a Model 66 and it wasn't all that pleasant to shoot with .357 either, despite the 6" bbl! I'd imagine the lightweights would be pretty darned unpleasant.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Years ago I had a curved butt too... :laugh: but back on topic! I recently traded away a Model 66 and it wasn't all that pleasant to shoot with .357 either, despite the 6" bbl! I'd imagine the lightweights would be pretty darned unpleasant.

I can't figure out how a feller could stand even 1 cylinder of practice out of S&W's Scandium-framed .357s or .44mags.

I put wood boot grips on my 642 and whatever recoil mitigation the stock rubber grips provided is Gone, Baby, GONE. I don't even want to think about .357 Mag in a same-sized...yet LIGHTER gun. Mercy. :n00b:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Congrats on the new j-baby!:yesway: I've not heard or witnessed anything negative about the 637, so I say get a lot of ammo, practice and enjoy having one of the best carry formats ever made.

One thought though, I don't know how savvy you are in doing your own gunsmithing, but a reduced spring kit (particularly return spring) and possibly an extended firing pin will help in the accuracy department. Made a marked improvement in my M&P340.

+p will not hurt the gun and after practicing a while will not hurt you. The first time I cracked off a full house 357 round from my 340, I thought the earth's orbit had to have skipped a bit! One quickly learns the proper and improper way to handle stout loads in a j-frame:laugh:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It's titanium alloy (as strong as steel, lighter than aluminum).
    The 637 was my first handgun and is still my B.U.G. when I carry two.
    Carry-1.jpg

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Hate to break it to you, but the 637 is Aluminum alloy... ;)

-J-

Sorry. I never got any paperwork or info with it when I purchased it. I was only going on what a S&W rep said on the phone when I called about a problem. He said the cylinder was Titanium and the frame was that in an alloy (and the barrel was stainless steel). So... :dunno:
    At any rate, great customer service. I was able to take care of the problem myself. I purchased another S&W and they've done things to fix it on their dime (no fault of the gun...totally ammo related) including shipping...and they sent me spare parts to boot. :yesway:

Top Bottom