• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I wish I still had my 37, funny thing was with it, I forgot at times it was on me, don't forget firing it, just wearing it.

That 637 is a beaut, six shots of insurance in each one.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sorry. I never got any paperwork or info with it when I purchased it. I was only going on what a S&W rep said on the phone when I called about a problem. He said the cylinder was Titanium and the frame was that in an alloy (and the barrel was stainless steel). So... :dunno:
    At any rate, great customer service. I was able to take care of the problem myself. I purchased another S&W and they've done things to fix it on their dime (no fault of the gun...totally ammo related) including shipping...and they sent me spare parts to boot. :yesway:

No biggie. Most of the Airweight revolvers S&W has are Aluminum alloy frames with stainless steel barrels & cylinders. At least those in the $400-500 range.

There are other lighter weight revolvers that do indeed have more exotic light weight alloys for the frame material - generally scandium alloy. Wouldn't surprise me if they had Ti frames as well. I honestly have no idea about light-weight alloys used in the cylinders, though.

-J-

EDIT: For example, the 340PD has a Scandium alloy frame with a Titanium alloy cylinder... But the standard 340 has a stainless steel frame to go with the Scandium alloy frame. And, of course, the costs associated with the use of these other alloys goes up accordingly. Ti alloy and Sc alloy are very hard materials. They're also very hard to machine. And if someone gave me a 340 or a 340PD... I'd sell it!

Top Bottom