• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fatmatt1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Vernon
    Hey all! I have been considering buying some kind of "backup" pistol, and would like to know if/what you guys have....I usually carry a Glock in an OWB paddle holster, but would maybe like to get something small to have also.
    Should I get a "pocket" sized one? If so, which pocket would I put it in...in the front pocket opposite of my sidearm or in the back pocket??
    I've been looking at a Keltec Pf9 9mm, but I've heard/seen the recoil is crazy for such a small pistol.
    Maybe something similar in a smaller caliber??
    I've got some funds available, and would like to get shopping for something small this time maybe.
    Thank you for your input.
    Ps. A Glock 26 would probably be out of my price range unless I can find one used at a decent price. I've seen them Keltec Pf9 NIB for $260....

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Hey all! I have been considering buying some kind of "backup" pistol, and would like to know if/what you guys have....I usually carry a Glock in an OWB paddle holster, but would maybe like to get something small to have also.
    Should I get a "pocket" sized one? If so, which pocket would I put it in...in the front pocket opposite of my sidearm or in the back pocket??
    I've been looking at a Keltec Pf9 9mm, but I've heard/seen the recoil is crazy for such a small pistol.
    Maybe something similar in a smaller caliber??
    I've got some funds available, and would like to get shopping for something small this time maybe.
    Thank you for your input.
    Ps. A Glock 26 would probably be out of my price range unless I can find one used at a decent price. I've seen them Keltec Pf9 NIB for $260....

Back-up in the tiny class BERETTA 950 JETFIRE 25acp used $175, use GLASER AMMO:yesway:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    For pocket carry I would look at the Ruger LCP, KelTec P3AT, or Diamond Back DB380 in autos or any small frame revolver with a shrouded hammer, I personally carry a Ruger LCR in my front right pocket but I only have the use of my right hand right now

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I own a Glock 26, carry it every day. I would say the Glock 26 would be too large as a back up gun but some people can do it.

I've been looking at the Ruger LCR recently. After holding one in person, I couldn't believe how lightweight that thing was.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    I have been very happy with my Sig.P238__380 caliber. Reliability has been 100% and I like the 1911 configuration! You have opened up a can of worms. Everyone will have a different make or model that they like. I feel that it should be at least a 380 caliber or larger, but of greater importance, one that you feel you can shoot and be good with. Shot placement is everything.....

JJ1977

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    NE Indy
    I personally have a Ruger LCP and Kahr CW380; both are great weapons that are easly concealable. I also carry a Kahr CW9 which a great little 9mm single stack thats easy to carry. Also the prices for these are pretty resonable to find used.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    How do you plan to carry it? Pocket, ankle holster, IWB, etc? The Kahr .380 is a great small pistol, but there is much smaller to be had. The Taurus TCP, Ruger LCP and Kel Tec P3AT are smaller yet, and would do better in a pocket. However the Taurus and KelTec, bite. Conversly, there is the KelTec P32, the Seecamp, NAA and some others that are smaller yet. I have a LE friend that carries a P32 in an ankle holster. You have a lot to sift through.

fatmatt1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Vernon
    I was hopin I'd get some help sorting it out from you guys!!:): I honestly didn't intend on starting flame war, just opinions.
    The $300 budget would be ideal, but just depends on what comes up with my funds.
    That being said, I would like to carry it in pocket somewhere, but not sure which.....front side opposite my primary carry??
    Would carrying one in the back pocket, opposite my wallet be risky...pick pockets etc.?
    I wear a jean jacket alot, and it has some nice inside pockets that'd be ideal to conceal a small pistol of somekind also....
    I know there's several options, but just wanted to know what you guys found that works in real life, with comfort in mind etc.
    I've considered ankle carry, but with the boots I wear it'd be nearly impossible....unless I wear it on the outside!

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I just bought a p3at yesterday and got to shoot it and an lcp side by side! I gotta say they are both pefect for a deep concelement. they shoot nearly identical as they are practically twins. I would say the ruger has a little better fit and finish but it should since it cost 60.00 more.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have pocket carried an LCP and an NAA mini in .22 mag at different times. I got tired of both quickly. The LCP was great in cargo shorts, but too big in a front pocket. The NAA was great in a front pocket, but you don't want to carry a pocket gun in the same pocket as keys, knife, etc. So I carried the gun in my right front and everything else in my left front, which aways seemed ackward. I didn't carry in a rear pocket because I didn't want to sit on it. I even bought an ankle holster for the LCP, but never used it. Sold the LCP and still have the holster.

I wasn't carrying as a BUG, but as a primary deep conceal piece. Now I just stick with my pro carry and dress appropriately.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    :twocents: after many trials .380's, 22's, 32's, ended up with a two shot .38 derringer, but seriously considering a small light weight .357 revolver for back up. also a few friends have had trouble with a kel-tec 9mm. fyi. oh ya as far as witch pocket ??? witch one is the most comfortable 4 u. :dunno:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom