• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Some like vanilla, some like chocolate.

Me? ... Two guns, two knives, one light (second light is a tiny utility light). I don't feel bulky or "clinky" ... maybe it's because I've been doing it for so long. Of course, good gear selection helps. I've trained in disarming and retention because I felt I owed it to myself, my family and those around me. I don't have fantasies about anything. I just want to be prepared. I train, pay attention and ultimately hope that Murphy don't come a callin'.

I agree if you get separated from your primary, then it's good to have a backup, but for the average CCW holder, how often is this occurring? Anyone here have any tales of this happening (non-LEO)? Have you had your gun taken from you in an incident or had a malfunction and needed to transition to a BUG? I know police sometimes have this happen, but they run TOWARD incidents every day they are at work. Most CCWs NEVER draw their weapon in a lifetime, much less need a BUG.

Don't be an average CCW.

In regards to needing a BUG or not: It's not a ratio of dividing how many times you need it by how long you are a CCW. You only have to need that BUG one time for you to have a 100% chance of ever needing it.

Last I checked, malfunctions are not LEO exclusive. CCW holders may not be running to the sound of gunfire but LEOs aren't exactly in the majority when it comes to getting mugged or robbed either ... at least until recently.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    :yesway:I've heard Taurus makes affordable revolvers...what model would you suggest?

Thank you for yall's honest answers...

Model 85, 850 or 851. For a budget revolver the Taurus line is really hard to beat. I have an 850 UltraLite that I carry in my front pocket. For pocket carry you will want a bobbed or shrouded hammer. Also the UltraLite models will be appreciated. I have been considering upgrading to a J frame Smith, but I don't have any complaints with the Taurus.

I noticed you live in North Vernon. If you want to get together sometime I would be happy to let you shoot my revolver.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Not saying "be average"

I'm saying you have to weigh realistic possibilities vs. investments of your money.

How many times have you had a gun taken or had a malfunction with your primary carry gun in a critical incident? My guess- ZERO. How often does your primary carry gun malfunction at the range? My guess- ZERO/ 1000 rounds fired.

Most people take their guns to the range and make sure they get ZERO regularly occurring malfunctions before trusting guns for carry. I am guessing you are no exception. Most modern service pistols give outstanding reliability if they come from one of the reputable makers.

Can't promise you won't need a BUG, but the odds are VERY slim with a good handgun and training to defend your weapon.

Again, defending TWO weapons could make the BUG more of a liability than a benefit in some situations.

Vanguard.45

reaper101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Muncie, Indiana
    i know you said you kinda liked a small frame glock but what about a Sig P250 sub compact. I hate to refer you to them but Gander Mountain has them on sell right now for 399.00 plus tax. Just a hair bigger than like a Glock 26 or 27. Plus its a decent gun

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Don't forget to look at old military semi's, they are reliable and usually can be had for a song and dance. I have a Radom P64 thats a 6 shot 9x18 that I paid $175 for last year. Its all metal and fits in my front pocket in a Desantis holster.

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Bond Arms Texas Defender, sure you only get 2 shots but i dont care if its black bear or a crazed crack head, you go home when its all over.

nightjunio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Indianapolis
    i usually carry a 45 on a leather holster, but it gets bulky and sometimes i wanted a backup as well. i bought a walthers .380 for backup and sometimes now concealed carry. i liked it becasue it is small, lightweight and easy to hide. when i do carry it for backup i carry it on a ankle holster and it fits great

nightjunio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Indianapolis
    what caliber do you carry. i have considered buying one of these, but i didnt know if they are easy to use or if they have issues. i was looking at bond arms website and they seem like they would be nice to own

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    lcr

Ruger lcr is a great back option. A good reason for a backup is in case of mechanical error with your primary automatic. What better to have then a reliable revolver. Get the 357mag version so you can carry 357 for personal defense and shoot the lighter receiving rounds if you wish at the range. Also this gun is super lightweight and will not snag inside a pocket!

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I have a Taurus 738; its their version of the pocket .380. Same size as P3AT or LCP, and I've had zero malfunctions or issues out of mine. Plus, seems to be better built than the P3AT, and I feel like the plastic on it is a lot sturdier than that on the LCP. Crimson trace makes a laser for it as well, that I put on mine. Fits in any pocket I want it in, or in the palm of my hand if necessary.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Hey all! I have been considering buying some kind of "backup" pistol, and would like to know if/what you guys have....I usually carry a Glock in an OWB paddle holster, but would maybe like to get something small to have also.
    Should I get a "pocket" sized one? If so, which pocket would I put it in...in the front pocket opposite of my sidearm or in the back pocket??
    I've been looking at a Keltec Pf9 9mm, but I've heard/seen the recoil is crazy for such a small pistol.
    Maybe something similar in a smaller caliber??
    I've got some funds available, and would like to get shopping for something small this time maybe.
    Thank you for your input.
    Ps. A Glock 26 would probably be out of my price range unless I can find one used at a decent price. I've seen them Keltec Pf9 NIB for $260....

I have a PF9 and love it. Any light weight single stack 9mm is going to be snappy. That's just a fact of mechanics. I have also shot a S&W Bodyguard .380. It had quit a bit of snap itself. Same with the Ruger LCP.

rxcrm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Clark County
    I have carried a P3AT for about 7 years and have never had a problem out of it. I added Crimson Trace just beacuse there isnt really any sights on it.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    By all means, try before you buy. I guarantee any INGO member here will help you out with that. Whatever you choose, remember that there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    • If you want cheap, quality goes down.
    • If you want quality, price goes up.
    • If you want small, capacity goes down.
    • If you want heavier, size goes up.
    • If you want lighter, recoil goes up.
    • If you want manageability, punch goes down.
    • If you want more punch, recoil goes up.
    • If recoil goes up, speed and accuracy suffer.
    Granted, there are exceptions (especially in the cost department) but for the most part, you can not change the laws of physics. You get the picture. Balance your needs and choose wisely.

Now, for my :twocents: .... If I'm going for my BUG, it means something has gone seriously wrong. The last thing I need to worry about is an under-performing caliber or finicky gun. I carry a shrouded hammer J-Frame.

^^Wild Deuce nailed this Bug question above^^ :+1:

Either a J-Frame or the new Ruger LCR is thewayto go on your Backup Gun.

~TK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    How does the Ruger LCR compare to the Ruger SR? Sometime later this year ill be looking for a new pistol and the SR40c's are looking pretty good so far, though i've been hearing some bad things about the trigger....

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Would a Diamondback make a good BUG for a Glock lover? I carry a Sig P238 as a BUG to my 1911s and have heard that the Diamondbacks are like mini-Glocks? Never owned either, and was just wondering.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    Would a Diamondback make a good BUG for a Glock lover? I carry a Sig P238 as a BUG to my 1911s and have heard that the Diamondbacks are like mini-Glocks? Never owned either, and was just wondering.

That is a great point. I carry Glock and back up with SigP238. Maybe I should reconsider my main carry weapon....maybe not, but I still love your thought process.:yesway:

Top Bottom