• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    While looking at the guns at Big R in warsaw this weekend I was surprised to see a sign that they charge $2.00 for background checks on all firearm purchases. I haven't been in a gun shop lately and was just wondering if this common practice now with gun shops?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Long distance phone call. That's my only guess.
    My FFL doesn't even charge me for TRANSFERS! Let alone background check

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    As william mentioned a minute ago before my post - it would be company policy only in this case. Those checks are free, but they are time consuming. If they have to pay an employee that could be doing other duties rather than being on the phone, they should charge for the work the employee is doing. Hence why they would charge for the background check.

It's not bad if it's just $2. If you ever see one up near the $10 range, I'd say they're over-reaching.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    As william mentioned a minute ago before my post - it would be company policy only in this case. Those checks are free, but they are time consuming. If they have to pay an employee that could be doing other duties rather than being on the phone, they should charge for the work the employee is doing. Hence why they would charge for the background check.

It's not bad if it's just $2. If you ever see one up near the $10 range, I'd say they're over-reaching.

I understand the concept of what you are saying but cant totally agree. we are paying the employee when be buy things from there. So if i am buying a gun from there its part of the "sales time" and that time should be devoted to the customer. If thats the case they should start charging every time you ask to look at something or have a question about something it would be another $2.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Sounds sketchy...... Their store, their rules I suppose. I have never paid for a background check on a firearm purchase (including the one that took over an hour as there were major computer issues)..

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    If they are successful with this fee then everyone will start doing it. Don't buy Guns from Big R if they are going to pull crap like this. The time that the employee takes should be built into the retail price.

Sure, $2 isn't much money, but next it will be $5, then $10 and it will be at $20 within a couple of years.

Start the fee low, then when everyone is doing it, jack up the fees. Anyone flown lately, it's the same crap the airlines are pulling.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Long distance phone call. That's my only guess.
    My FFL doesn't even charge me for TRANSFERS! Let alone background check
    1-877-324-xxxx.. that would be toll free
    I understand the concept of what you are saying but cant totally agree. we are paying the employee when be buy things from there. So if i am buying a gun from there its part of the "sales time" and that time should be devoted to the customer. If thats the case they should start charging every time you ask to look at something or have a question about something it would be another $2.
    this.. the price of the gun should reflect shipping, storage, time of employee etc.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!

While I agree that we shouldn't be paying the employee more after we're already buying their goods, I don't think you're seeing it from the standpoint of Big R. They're a small, somewhat dying chain.

You're the customer, you have the choice to buy elsewhere. Better prices to be had, better service that doesn't charge you an extra fee. It's up to you and you alone to pay that $2 charge.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    Wabash Big R is doing the same thing, must be chain wide. You'd think they'd be slicker about it and just add the 2 bucks to the price of the firearm, so maybe they are making a point, llike if they are being charged for the check and want the customer to know it is no longer a free check without actually saying 'Hey the gov't is charging for the fee now'
    Has anyone asked the store?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is just an underhanded way to make their prices seem lower. Basically all of their guns are $2 higher than listed. Then if someone is denied they have to pay the $2 even though they can not get the gun. That would really **** me off if there was a mistake made in the check and I was denied wrongfully.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Wabash Big R is doing the same thing, must be chain wide. You'd think they'd be slicker about it and just add the 2 bucks to the price of the firearm, so maybe they are making a point, llike if they are being charged for the check and want the customer to know it is no longer a free check without actually saying 'Hey the gov't is charging for the fee now'

the govt is NOT charging for this

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I wonder if they collect the fee before making the call?

If not I wonder what would happen if you were denied by the FBI and you then refused to pay the fee?

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    With the high retail mark ups Big R is charing, you think they would be happy to call in as many firearm purchases as they can. How's that one saying go, a pennywise, a pound foolish.

Top Bottom