• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavskillz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Right on, I'm sure I'll have a few questions for you in the future.

Well, if you have any specific questions or would like to hit the trails, let me know. I am always willing to share some knowledge. I usually have some extra gear. So if there is something that you don't have the $$ to spend on, I probably have something you can borrow or atleast share on the same trip.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    This seems like the perfect place to drop an early announcement...

My best friend and I are starting up company called MooseKnuckle Outdoors. We are in the very infant stages of it, but our goal is to open up a small retail location offering high-end, quality backpacking and camping gear, along with instruction and education in backcountry skills. Our goal is not to be REI, but more of a Midwest crossroads trail shop. We are also not intending to be a bushcraft/survival shop, although some of those lessons will be integral to our offerings. We will be hosting classes and trips for all levels of backpackers, as well as being an information hub for Indiana trails and group outings.

If you check out our (sparse) website, http://Www.mooseknuckleoutdoors.com, you'll see just a few of the products that we are going to offer. I'll post a short list below. We also have a FB page and Twitter handle with our mascot, Seamus, who will be tweeting all of our adventures.

We are so small and new that our blog posts are sparse and we haven't had a chance to upgrade the website and e-commerce links, so please be patient with us. We are hoping to have a retail store by this time next year, probably on the south side of Indy. For those wanting to help us grow, I'll drop a formal announcement (and probably go site supporter) later with a Kickstarter/fundraiser selling shirts, stickers, patches and hats with our awesome Seamus the Moose logo!

Just some of the brands we will carry:

Big Agnes
    Kelty
    Sierra Designs
    Katadyn
    Optimus
    Black Diamond
    MSR
    Mountain Hardwear
    Columbia
    Prana
    Patagonia
    Therm-a-Rest
    Eno
    Alpine Aire
    Mountain House
    Mora
    CRKT
    TONS MORE!

We have also been working with Forged in Fire contestant Adlai Stein (The Hebrew Hammer) to design some custom knives. My buddy already got his bad-ass chopper from him!

Please check us us out and help our local, veteran-owned small business grow and support our community!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The more you research, the more crap you buy. By the time you're done researching, you'll be 5 years older, have a $500 pack, a $1000 tent, a $500 high end down sleeping bag, etc... It's super easy to get carried away with the research and internet folks who swear you need to spend an arm and a leg.

Focus on the basics and get out there. Buy a quality first kit, figure out what works for you and what doesn't, and add/modify as you can afford it.

Seems that I may have over researched the last time I wanted to get started. This makes more sense to get the basics and improve/add where I see fit.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    The low gap trail at MMSF makes a nice leisurely overnighter. It's about 12 miles with lots of camping opportunities. Best of all, it is a loop, so you end up at your car!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Have you you ever had issues finding parking there? I have had my eyes on the Peninsula trail two times but when I got there, the parking lot was so full, cars we going down the side of the road for hundreds of feet. Both times, I decided to just explore a different trail.

I have always found parking at the trailhead lot or the bigger newer lot across the road.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I have always found parking at the trailhead lot or the bigger newer lot across the road.
    Same, but I also often go when the weather isn't predicted to be as nice (cold or rainy) and that probably helps.
    I took my 5 year old for a two night backpacking trip in the Deam Wilderness this spring and she had a blast.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Morgan-Monroe SF:
    As already mentioned, MMSF has several 10 mile trails (Low Gap and Three Lakes); both rated as "rugged". I personally prefer Low Gap, which permits camping in the Back Country Area east of Low Gap Road. A very basic map is usually available at the Forest Office at no charge.

Tecumseh Trail:
    42 miles, starts in Morgan-Monroe SF and ends just north of Monroe Reservoir. 10+ parking areas (unsecured). 24+ access points. At least 3 different camping areas. Hoosier Hikers Council | Building hiking trails in Indiana has a nice map available.

HNF:
    HNF maps are available https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/hoosier/maps-pubs .

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    The more you research, the more crap you buy. By the time you're done researching, you'll be 5 years older, have a $500 pack, a $1000 tent, a $500 high end down sleeping bag, etc... It's super easy to get carried away with the research and internet folks who swear you need to spend an arm and a leg.

Focus on the basics and get out there. Buy a quality first kit, figure out what works for you and what doesn't, and add/modify as you can afford it.

Lol. Agreed.

Spend all the money and fast forward a few years. You won't be using any of the equipment you originally bought. A expensive tent will be replaced by a tarp. The expedition sized pack will be retired for UL pack. The countless extra underwear and change of clothes will just be dropped completely.

The only thing worth spending a stupid amount of money on is a good sleeping bag. Everything else isn't worth commiting to unless you thoroughly understand your preferences. And I know people who have been backpacking for 20 years who still can't figure that out.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Population density in the HNF drops way off when you get south of Bedford.

Be aware of ticks, particularly seed ticks after July 4th until late September.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Good post, just wish I lived a little further south / northern IN not so plentiful with large nature areas that aren't overcrowded on the weekend.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    -I'd like for it to be within a few hours of Indy

While not Indiana I have heard good things about Hocking Hills southeast of Columbus OH. I have cycled through the area and it is beautiful. Not sure it fits your criteria or goals so maybe a little research.

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    While not Indiana I have heard good things about Hocking Hills southeast of Columbus OH. I have cycled through the area and it is beautiful. Not sure it fits your criteria or goals so maybe a little research.

I am an Ohio transplant. So, I know everything that state has to offer. Great suggestion for people who like to do some hiking. Hocking Hills is perfect for the person who likes to rent a cabin and hike the days away. Beautiful place. But I am trying to turn over some rocks and see if there's a hidden gem that I haven't discovered here in Indiana.

Thanks!

Last edited:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I'm going for a 3 day excursion on Knobstone this weekend. Will try to remember to report back on how it is. Will be my first time down there. MMSF is good for a day hike, there are two ten mile loops as mentioned before.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Soooo, I just talked with the guys for my Colorado Rockies trip, and we are officially down a person, so we have a full slot open for anyone who can pick up a trip on short notice. We'll be departing Indianapolis on Thursday, June 22 midday and returning July 1 in the evening. Cost is $400 for transport and lodging, only thing you are on the hook for is your own food along the way and on the trail.

If anyone is interested, please PM me.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Went on my first ever backpacking trip. My son and I want to eventually do some extended hikes, so we decided to do a weekend trip as a learning experience. We hiked the 15-mile Two Lakes Loop, north of Tell City, and I learned some very important things:

1. Not sure how far down I can get my pack-weight, but I know now that 40lbs is way too much.
    2. When you hike 10 miles in 95-degree heat, you will drink a lot of water. Glad I had a sawyer mini filter, since I would have had to carry two gallons with me otherwise.
    3. When you hike 10 miles in 95-degree heat, you won't want to eat much, if anything.
    4. Tarp shelters are OK, but they don't keep mosquitoes off you, nor the crawling things.
    5. If my heart didn't stop during or after that hike, and I could still walk the next day (though stiffly), maybe I'm in better shape at 55 than I feared.
    6. Quality time with my son is priceless.

Top Bottom