• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ok not trying to hijack this thread, but I have more than a few pounds to lose and am interested and still learning. What is ketosis?

Look up Ketogenic diet. Basically it's real low carb, under 30 gr a day, moderate protein and hi fat. Ketosis is what your body goes into when you are burning fat for fuel instead of sugar/carbs. Ketones are the byproduct of burning fat.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have done a moderate amount of reading/research, It works but I get bored with the limited diet (I'm a carboholic) and can not keep it up. I haven't tried the bacon only diet, but even though I LOVE bacon i think I would have a hard time keeping it up.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    4 Days and a wake up

Beginning / Current
    BW: 200.5 / 195.1
    BMI: 31.5 / 30.6
    BF: 31 / 29.7
    SMM: 77.6 / 76.3
    H2O: 50.3 / 51.3
    Bone Mass: 11.1 / 11.0

I went to the gym yesterday for a HIIT type WOD with the family and stayed after for some chill racquetball with my kids. I felt good but not at my best. Still, not bad. When I got home I snuck about 5 bites of dry salad with mushrooms and cucumbers.

I'm not sick of bacon although I do miss a varied diet. I read that you could substitute 3 slices of bacon for one egg and may do that to break the hum-drum when things get rough.

I have a gallon jug of water that I require myself to consume daily. I don't care how much water I drink beyond that. My guess is in the neighborhood of 2 gallons a day and easily that if you count coffee.

The most pleasant surprise has been the quality improvement in sleep. While I was active duty I would regularly get 6 hours of sleep each night and felt great throughout the day. I'd wake up a bit tired and be tired and ready for bed at night, but strong throughout the day. After 4 years at PISC where that dropped to 4-6 hrs per night I thought I'd never have an issue. However, when I left active duty and didn't have to worry about height and weight standards my sleep got jacked up. I began sleeping 8 hours a night and struggled to wake in the morning. That has changed and without intention. I'm easily back to 6 hours now and loving it.

Last edited:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I eat a moderate amount of carbs, not a carb-aholic, most of the carbs i eat are the healthy type, like whole grains and beans, other than those i get from a few beers. At one time, I read that 0 carbs was unhealthy. I do need to drop some weight though, and have been contemplating going low carb again. The hardest part would be the occasional family gathering, holidays, etc. I mostly like meat and vegetables, i don't crave sweets often. I wonder why it has to be bacon, and not other meats, like grass-fed beef, bison, ground pork, ham, etc? And why no veggies, at least those that are low in carbs? I was telling my husband about it this morning, and he thought it sounded crazy...lol. It would definitely solve the problem of not knowing what to cook for dinner every night!
    I've done Atkins and South Beach diet before, but never lost much weight. I do think you can eat healthy on those diets, but i probably ate too much of their processed products back then. If I go back, i'll eat more clean. I lost more on Weight Watchers, but i felt like I was skipping a lot of healthy fats to do it, and constantly tracking, weighing and measuring food gets old. Fell off the wagon around the holidays. Ended back up at the weight i swore i'd never go back to!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Cindy had the same question I have. Why couldn't other meats be substituted for bacon?
    Also no offense meant to Hog Slayer, but where did you come up with this specific diet? Obviously you are already seeing results but I'm curious about long term effects of auch a high fat diet

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I really just got it in one of the threads here on INGO. After it was brought to my attention through random BS sessions I looked it up on youtube and decided why not. Why no other meats? Don't know. Really, I'm just doing something easy and a bit ridiculous...because. Long term? Not sure about that either. It's tough to say I won't stumble often. I'm also not really worried about losing a ton of weight. I don't easily sit below 195. Even as a drill instructor I was above 175.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I think that the guy who did this with three pounds of bacon a day did it as a stunt to prove that it works.

The Atkins diet allows any type of protien and fat. After about a week when your body is in ketosis you can slowly add carbs. You have to keep track of your keytones with test strips. Carbs will be coverted to sugar much more readily than protien and fat, so when your keytones decrease you decrease your carb intake.

The "experts" are not nearly as anti high protien as they once were.

BTW high protien is not dangerous.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've been off of carbs for about 6 weeks.

Not all bacon, mind you, but very, very low carbs. The only carbs I have taken in are in nuts and vegetables. How strict? No processed sugar at all. No grains. No fruits. No sugary vegetables (carrots, etc.). No artificial sweeteners. Drink only water, sometimes ices tea (obviously not sweet tea). Limited dairy (no milk- lactose) only cheese and not huge amount of that.

I've dropped quite a bit of weight, but I don't weigh myself very often. My pants want to fall off. I don't have cravings and feel satisfied all the time.

Typical breakfast- 2 hard-boiled eggs
    Typical lunch- Salami or 2 hard-boiled eggs, some cheese and celery or pickles.
    Typical diner- some kind of meat (any kind, really), a salad of some sort, a vegetable (broccoli, cauliflower- with butter of course)
    Snacks- not usually, but nuts.

Quantities? Doesn't matter.

I'm loving life. I can eat like this for the rest of my life.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    If you stay under 60 carbs a day you will enter ketosis. For others trying not to get in a bacon only diet. Also remember that fiber cancels out carbs. So like asparagus has 5 carbs but also 5 grams of fiber so it's no carbs. If you stick with it you will drop weight quickly and notice big changes in your high fat areas on your body. The only killer for me is I love beer and good beer at that. But you can still have a couple Miller lites if you plan your daily meals knowing that prior

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    If you stay under 60 carbs a day you will enter ketosis. For others trying not to get in a bacon only diet. Also remember that fiber cancels out carbs. So like asparagus has 5 carbs but also 5 grams of fiber so it's no carbs. If you stick with it you will drop weight quickly and notice big changes in your high fat areas on your body. The only killer for me is I love beer and good beer at that. But you can still have a couple Miller lites if you plan your daily meals knowing that prior

That is our problem, too. My husband and I both like hoppy craft beers. Most IPAs have around 12 grams of carbs. So the 3 All Day IPAs i had yesterday were 36 grams! I just hate the thought of boring, domestic beer, but we are going to try some. I'm just concerned that they might be full of junk. When i used to drink MGD64 and Mich Ultra, i would put a slice of lime or lemon in the bottle. It seems to help, but maybe it's just a mental thing. A glass of red wine is around 5 grams, so i will probably lean more toward that. I should probably cut back any way, but it's hard to resist cold beer on hot summer days! :40oz: Coffee, tea and water are all i drink otherwise.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Ugh, it is hotter than h*ll and i think i have the keto flu. Hope it doesn't last long. Other than that it's going pretty good. I am finding that i am less hungry. I don't think husband understands keto and low carb... he is still taking in lots of carbs, but less than he was before. Ironically, he will probably lose weight faster than me! Being a 5'2" middle aged female, every pound seems to show on me. We have also been walking, cycling, and went kayaking the other day.
    I think i have bad breath. yikes.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    ok. I'm through with the punishment. Bacon is not revolting to me, so I'm thoroughly pleased with that. I'm down to 193.5 and that is good progress. My greatest issue was the inability to train as hard as I'd like. I really struggled during the mountain biking trip. The first day we rode and I felt terrible. I ended up eating small amounts of anything relatively healthy and within grasp so I could ride hard without feeling faint. The best thing about this diet was the sleep! I cannot over emphasize how nice that has been. But I'm ready to get training again.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Do you plan to stay fairly low carb, just not strictly bacon? Have you heard of MCT oil? I was just looking into it today, it's basically the best fats taken from coconut oil, and is supposed to really help with energy when working out. I probably didn't explain that real well, I'm still looking into it. I've been staying under 50 carbs since Sunday. I've lost a couple of pounds, but i feel and possibly look a bit better, too. I've never been really high carb, so i probably won't notice rapid weight loss. I've always been a meat,cheese and veggie eater, though i do love a good pasta dish and Mexican food every now and then. I am the opposite of you when it comes to sleep, i've been having trouble sleeping, and i have some weird nervous energy, like the kind that makes you bounce your leg when sitting at a desk at work. I'm kinda prone to anxiety anyway, hopefully that is just temporary. Just ordered some grass-fed beef patties to make meal-time easier on work nights.
    Do you have extra bacon? :)

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I'm a bit too simple minded for a diet that involves much counting. That was one of the things that made the bacon diet a realistic possibility for me. No real counting. So, as far as future dietary plan:

1: remove any elementary crap. No sugars, no fast food, no junk food, no entitled cheat days. Just cut out the crap. I don't need a nutritionist to tell me what the obvious crap is. I also don't need some spray painted fad diet guru to tell me that I can be entitled to eat crap on cheat days. I'm a man and should have a bit more discipline than that. No cheating for the responsible.
    2: less easily identified stuff: no more baby cow juice, no wheat, no high sugar juice (fruit juice)
    3: oatmeal and potatoes are good replacements. Eat these. If it had to die to get on my plate all the better.
    4: Train hard or rest.

I cannot afford the "all natural" dead cow. I'll accept growth hormones in mine. Besides, I don't actually know any livestock farmers that give growth hormones to their cattle. I only really know a few that well, though.

Regarding the sleep, I did experience a bit of that uneasiness that you speak of. I only noticed it at night. My fix was to get up earlier and shift my awake hours. This solved my problem.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    No Sugar-No Grain is my lifestyle now. No looking back.

I used to have acid reflux and took a Ranitidine 150 almost every night before bed. I haven't taken one in 6 weeks and haven't touched the Tums.

In bed at 10p and up at 5:45a, ready to face the world.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    No Sugar-No Grain is my lifestyle now. No looking back.

I used to have acid reflux and took a Ranitidine 150 almost every night before bed. I haven't taken one in 6 weeks and haven't touched the Tums.

In bed at 10p and up at 5:45a, ready to face the world.

Yep. I've never felt better. I sure don't miss the migraine headaches.

Top Bottom