• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ok. I just had one of those moments. A good part of my younger life, I remember people talking about doing the above to someone discussing price. I guess I never thought about it but somehow, my mind always connected that term with chewing someone down. Kind of like a dog did to a bone. After not hearing that term for a few decades, and learning about other cultures, it now makes sense.

It showed up in the "things you can't say anymore" thread just recently. My dad used to use the phrase all the time.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ok. I just had one of those moments. A good part of my younger life, I remember people talking about doing the above to someone discussing price. I guess I never thought about it but somehow, my mind always connected that term with chewing someone down. Kind of like a dog did to a bone. After not hearing that term for a few decades, and learning about other cultures, it now makes sense.

I remember it being used as well, although I knew where it came from. Still hear it, and use it on occasion. My father as rumor has it was 1/2 ethnically jewish and used it all the time.

It showed up in the "things you can't say anymore" thread just recently. My dad used to use the phrase all the time.

I must have missed that thread, have a link? And did ****** rigged show up in it?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I love sea salt and Himalayan pink salt. It gives food an extra "pop", IMO. I hate when we go to a restaurant and there's a regular shaker of salt on the table.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Technically all salt is "sea salt".:)

Even if it's mined? :dunno:
    There's an episode of Good Eats where Alton goes to a salt mine and at one point flops back on a mound of salt as if it's snow.

[video=youtube;fOLtTGi3Gh0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOLtTGi3Gh0[/video]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Even if it's mined? :dunno:
    There's an episode of Good Eats where Alton goes to a salt mine and at one point flops back on a mound of salt as if it's snow.

Yes. Salt is formed by the evaporation of water so the salt in the mines came from ancient oceans that evaporated. At least that is the science "flavor of the month" thinking.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I love sea salt and Himalayan pink salt. It gives food an extra "pop", IMO. I hate when we go to a restaurant and there's a regular shaker of salt on the table.

I have gotten so used to Himalayan salt that I don't even like regular table salt anymore. I use salt in my cooking but virtually never add it after cooking. When used during cooking, it adds flavor to the dish. Adding table salt just makes food taste salty to me.

I want to enhance flavor not salt it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Said the guy who will never be able to run for office, or probably hold a job if this hits his FB page!;)

Haven't you heard? Saying unkind things about Jewish people will earn you the respect and admiration of the Democratic party.

First world problems. Just give me salt. I dont care.what kind.
    I do wish they'd leave the trace minerals in table salt, but I'm glad they put the iodine in.

No worries. I take a manufactured multivitamin to replace the minerals that were removed from my food.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    No worries. I take a manufactured multivitamin to replace the minerals that were removed from my food.

So, they "refine " your salt, and process your food to take nutrients OUT...
    Then, they sell you a vitamin so you can put the nutrients back IN....
    Sheer genius. Diabolical bastages.
    Me too.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm curious where you get your salt, if not from the sea?

I'm one of those oddballs (as if this is news) who likes different types of salt for different types of food/cooking - same with pepper. And I grind both my salt and my peppercorns.

My oldest daughter is having a birthday sleepover Friday night, which means that I'll be going through several pounds of bacon Saturday morning.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    All salt was in the sea at some point. "Sea salt" is basically evaporated sea water. It is heavy in sodium chloride, but also has various trace minerals dissolved in it. "Mined salt" is salt that evaporated out of lakes/seas that died a long time ago due to upheavals and plate tectonics, like the Dead Sea. Pakistan (pink himalayan), India (black salt) and Utah (off white) are some areas that have large enough deposits that they are commercially mined. The colors are based on the impurities in the various salts. "Refined/table salt" starts as mined or sea salt, which is then chemically treated to remove the misc. minerals and concentrates the sodium chloride. Anti-caking agents and iodine is generally added to this type of salt.

Iodine was added to salt as a cheap/effective way to distribute the chemical after it was discovered that many of the recruits in WWI had goiter (enlarged thyroid in the neck due to iodine deficiency) which affected the mass-produced uniform neck sizes. This problem was most prominent for people from the midwest to the Rockies (the goiter belt) as our soils are very iodine poor.

Top Bottom