• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    So, I have a Glock 44 that was reliable with just about everything I shoved through it. I then put a red dot on it with a Strike Industries SPUR mount. I knew going into it that the added weight would make a difference and I would have to run hotter ammo. It ran very well with older CCI Stingers and was very accurate. I then put a Glock Performance trigger in it and bought some more Stingers. The pistol then went to not being reliable at all. Failures to feed & eject were the order of the day, just like the lower velocity ammo would be. Nearly 2/3rds of a magazine were failures. I took out the trigger and put the old one back in, same thing is still going on. I think I got a bad batch of CCI Stingers. I have only one box of the older Stingers left and will try them this weekend to verify, but I wanted to know what the other members here thought.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Were they 22 Stingers, or 22 Stangers?

CC_50100CC_22LR_SpecialEdition22PlinksterStangersCPHP_R.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Stingers are light weight and fast rounds and weirdly conical bullets. Most of my auto firearms can have issues with them to some degree at times.

I have an old 10-22 that loves them and groups them well and with the ten round mags functional 100 precent. That firearm is why I have a supply of stingers.

My auto 22 browning will not feed them well. My TC classic will feed them when extra clean but the groups are horrid. The Marlin model 60 fails to eject them well and groups them horridly. In levers and bolts they seem to function ok but group size is larger than even the cheapest of rimfire ammo.

Never tried them in my 22 handguns as they are target handguns and never thought to give them a try.

CCI makes 40 grain standard and high velocity rounds. The standard is what I use to test functionality of any 22 I own. If it will not cycle CCI 40 grain standard velocity ammo it is not the ammo that is the issue.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm not going to say it couldn't happen, but I will say this.
    I've been shooting CCI Stingers for more than 50 years and I've never seen a "bad batch".
    Over that 50 years I'd bet I have not had enough misfires to count on one hand.
    CCI's have been the single most reliable .22 rimfire ammunition I have found available in my lifetime.
    Like I said, I will not say you didn't get a bad batch of ammo.
    I will say I would bet it's not the ammo.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm not going to say it couldn't happen, but I will say this.
    I've been shooting CCI Stingers for more than 50 years and I've never seen a "bad batch".
    Over that 50 years I'd bet I have not had enough misfires to count on one hand.
    CCI's have been the single most reliable .22 rimfire ammunition I have found available in my lifetime.
    Like I said, I will not say you didn't get a bad batch of ammo.
    I will say I would bet it's not the ammo.
    Ive shot a bunch of Stingers over the years, mostly in pistols that are finicky with what rim-fire ammo they like. I also don't believe I have ever found any CCI Stingers that failed to fire.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just a thought.
    .22 rimfire ammunition is known to be some of the dirtiest ammunition you can find, regardless of manufacturer.
    Is it possible that the firing pin channel could be gunked up with carbon, or even unburned powder?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Pistol. Model 41 Smith and wesson. I did consider the barrel length but 300 fps seems drastic. I should have chronographs some out of a rifle just to see. I will do that next time out
    I don't believe I have ever seen or met anyone that has shot high velocity ammo through there 41 before. All that we/I own have only had 40 grain standard velocity shot through them.
    For two reasons, HV ammo tends to beat up the pistols unnecessarily unless perhaps recoil springs were changed.
    And many indoor rimfire ranges require you to shoot standard velocity ammo.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't believe I have ever seen or met anyone that has shot high velocity ammo through there 41 before. All that we/I own have only had 40 grain standard velocity shot through them.
    For two reasons, HV ammo tends to beat up the pistols unnecessarily unless perhaps recoil springs were changed.
    And many indoor rimfire ranges require you to shoot standard velocity ammo.
    Would a target pistol have the match chamber also like target rifle barrels?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I would think so, but, I know its been said that chambers in 41's are/were cut for CCI standard velocity ammo. But the pistols were being built years before that ammo was available.
    So I'm not real sure.

We will see what @natdscott has to say, hes more in-tuned than I am with this topic.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a Walther P22 pistol. The only ammo it likes to be feed is Stinger. I have never had a bad batch of them. Probably a good 20k through various 22 pistols(also have a K22 masterpiece that loves it)and rifles(to many to even recall them all) and stinger just always go boom unless it is a weapon malfunction.

Just my personal experience.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Stingers are the mark by which other 22lrs are judged

Hardly. Stingers are neat, among the various hyper-velocity .22 LR options, and they are pretty, with their silver casing.

But the gold standards are not made in the US. Eley, Lapua, RWS...depending on who you ask.

They CAN. The Hammerli 200 series, for example, can be made to function better with a drop of oil on the top of the first round of every magazine. Royal PITA, if you ask me, even for a target arm.

But if I were guessing, the 41 is probably
    ---middle-of-the-road length,
    --with taper still cut in the body like most reamers do (but real match BR chambers DON'T), and
    --a 2-3 degree leade.

In other words, I have just described something very similar to a Bentz.

You can't chamber an automatic in a real short reamer, like a Calfee or a Winchester 52, because the amount of graving you get would pull bullets if you had to eject one without firing it.

That, and on the lower diameter end--and God help you if you chambered one with parallel walls--wax and lead would very quickly cause issues with feeding, fully seating into battery, and/or ejection.

I did chamber an autoloader with JGS' "JGS Match" reamer. It worked really, really well, and I liked the 1.5* leade more than the 3+ degree that the Bentz has. That being said, it was a rifle, and any buildup, etc. would have to overcome the much-extended gas dwell time of a rifle barrel.

You'd also get more round count out of a Bentz, with the sharper angle, but I don't really care about that, in favor of greater accuracy with the shallower chambers. 1.5-degree Annies are rated for 50,000 rounds before beginning to lose accuracy.

NOBODY chambers match stuff in anything steeper than 1 degree 30 minutes.

I would think so, but, I know its been said that chambers in 41's are/were cut for CCI standard velocity ammo. But the pistols were being built years before that ammo was available.
    So I'm not real sure.

We will see what @natdscott has to say, hes more in-tuned than I am with this topic.

I always heard the same. I'm over 10,000 of 0035 on my 41, with very few complaints. I have fired a little surolus Remington Target (the serialized white box stuff), and it digested that just fine...probably less than 2,000 rounds worth, though.

It also digests the Eley stuff, but it will shortstroke, intermittently. The CCI 0035 SV never has that problem unless I get lazy and my thumb drags the rail. That WILL cause a 41 to stovepipe and other FTE.

I have a Walther P22 pistol. The only ammo it likes to be feed is Stinger. I have never had a bad batch of them. Probably a good 20k through various 22 pistols(also have a K22 masterpiece that loves it)and rifles(to many to even recall them all) and stinger just always go boom unless it is a weapon malfunction.

Just my personal experience.

I would only trust my life to Eley priming, and CCI, if I had to carry a .22.

-Nate

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Hardly. Stingers are neat, among the various hyper-velocity .22 LR options, and they are pretty, with their silver casing.

But the gold standards are not made in the US. Eley, Lapua, RWS...depending on who you ask.

They CAN. The Hammerli 200 series, for example, can be made to function better with a drop of oil on the top of the first round of every magazine. Royal PITA, if you ask me, even for a target arm.

But if I were guessing, the 41 is probably ---middle-of-the-road length,
    --with taper still cut in the body like most reamers do (but real match BR chambers DON'T), and
    --a 2-3 degree leade.

In other words, I have just described something very similar to a Bentz.

You can't chamber an automatic in a reall short reamer, like a Calfee or a Winchester 52, because the amount of graving you get would pull bullets if you had to ehect one without firing it.

That, and on the lower diameter end--and God help you if you chambered one with parallel walls--wax and lead would very quickly cause issues with feeding, fully seating into battery, and/or ejection.

I did chamber an autoloader with JGS' "JGS Match" reamer. It worked really, really well, and I liked the 1.5* leade more than the 3+ degree that the Bentz has. That being said, it was a rifle, and any buildup, etc. would have to overcome the much-extended gas dwell time of a rifle barrel.

You'd also get more round count out of a Bentz, with the sharper angle, but I don't really care about that, in favor of greater accuracy with the shallower chambers.

NOBODY chambers match stuff in anything steeper than 1 degree 30 minutes.

I always heard the same. I'm over 10,000 of 0035 on my 41, with very few complaints. I have fired a little surolus Remington Target (the serialized white box stuff), and it digested that just fine...probably less than 2,000 rounds worth, though.

It also digests the Eley stuff, but it will shortstroke, intermittently. The CCI 0035 SV never has that problem unless I get lazy and my thumb drags the rail. That WILL cause a 41 to stovepipe and other FTE.

I would only trust my life to Eley priming, and CCI, if I had to carry a .22.

-Nate
    Thank you.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    So I'm not real sure.

I agree. When I bought this pistol the first thing I did was track down a brick of CCI Standard velocity. Nothing but failure to extract. I bought and installed a factory extractor..no help. Then a..Volquartsen extractor. No help. Bought 3 new mags just in case no help. But I could shoot hi velocity ammo. So I thought someone had jacked with the recoil spring. So I bought Wolf springs of every configuration. No help shooting cci sv
    With any weight spring. So I put the heavy spring in and shoot mini mags all day with no problem. I open to ideas because I would much rather shoot SV ammo.

Top Bottom