• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Hardly. Stingers are neat, among the various hyper-velocity .22 LR options, and they are pretty, with their silver casing.

But the gold standards are not made in the US. Eley, Lapua, RWS...depending on who you ask.

They CAN. The Hammerli 200 series, for example, can be made to function better with a drop of oil on the top of the first round of every magazine. Royal PITA, if you ask me, even for a target arm.

But if I were guessing, the 41 is probably
    ---middle-of-the-road length,
    --with taper still cut in the body like most reamers do (but real match BR chambers DON'T), and
    --a 2-3 degree leade.

In other words, I have just described something very similar to a Bentz.

You can't chamber an automatic in a real short reamer, like a Calfee or a Winchester 52, because the amount of graving you get would pull bullets if you had to eject one without firing it.

That, and on the lower diameter end--and God help you if you chambered one with parallel walls--wax and lead would very quickly cause issues with feeding, fully seating into battery, and/or ejection.

I did chamber an autoloader with JGS' "JGS Match" reamer. It worked really, really well, and I liked the 1.5* leade more than the 3+ degree that the Bentz has. That being said, it was a rifle, and any buildup, etc. would have to overcome the much-extended gas dwell time of a rifle barrel.

You'd also get more round count out of a Bentz, with the sharper angle, but I don't really care about that, in favor of greater accuracy with the shallower chambers. 1.5-degree Annies are rated for 50,000 rounds before beginning to lose accuracy.

NOBODY chambers match stuff in anything steeper than 1 degree 30 minutes.

I always heard the same. I'm over 10,000 of 0035 on my 41, with very few complaints. I have fired a little surolus Remington Target (the serialized white box stuff), and it digested that just fine...probably less than 2,000 rounds worth, though.

It also digests the Eley stuff, but it will shortstroke, intermittently. The CCI 0035 SV never has that problem unless I get lazy and my thumb drags the rail. That WILL cause a 41 to stovepipe and other FTE.

I would only trust my life to Eley priming, and CCI, if I had to carry a .22.

-Nate
    I love my Eley and SK in my 41 but the wallet can only take so much...lol

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have shot CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers for years and they are my go to for .22 LR. The Stingers worked great until I swapped out the trigger and then put the original trigger back in. Now its a basically a single shot. It still goes bang every time, but not cycling much at all. I will clean the striker channel, but I doubt that will fix anything as it goes bang every time.
    I passed on an older TX22 the other day for $150. Thought better of it after I found a red dot mount plate for it. When I went back to get it, an older gentleman was filling out the 4473 for it.

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    Hardly. Stingers are neat, among the various hyper-velocity .22 LR options, and they are pretty, with their silver casing.

But the gold standards are not made in the US. Eley, Lapua, RWS...depending on who you ask.

They CAN. The Hammerli 200 series, for example, can be made to function better with a drop of oil on the top of the first round of every magazine. Royal PITA, if you ask me, even for a target arm.

But if I were guessing, the 41 is probably
    ---middle-of-the-road length,
    --with taper still cut in the body like most reamers do (but real match BR chambers DON'T), and
    --a 2-3 degree leade.

In other words, I have just described something very similar to a Bentz.

You can't chamber an automatic in a real short reamer, like a Calfee or a Winchester 52, because the amount of graving you get would pull bullets if you had to eject one without firing it.

That, and on the lower diameter end--and God help you if you chambered one with parallel walls--wax and lead would very quickly cause issues with feeding, fully seating into battery, and/or ejection.

I did chamber an autoloader with JGS' "JGS Match" reamer. It worked really, really well, and I liked the 1.5* leade more than the 3+ degree that the Bentz has. That being said, it was a rifle, and any buildup, etc. would have to overcome the much-extended gas dwell time of a rifle barrel.

You'd also get more round count out of a Bentz, with the sharper angle, but I don't really care about that, in favor of greater accuracy with the shallower chambers. 1.5-degree Annies are rated for 50,000 rounds before beginning to lose accuracy.

NOBODY chambers match stuff in anything steeper than 1 degree 30 minutes.

I always heard the same. I'm over 10,000 of 0035 on my 41, with very few complaints. I have fired a little surolus Remington Target (the serialized white box stuff), and it digested that just fine...probably less than 2,000 rounds worth, though.

It also digests the Eley stuff, but it will shortstroke, intermittently. The CCI 0035 SV never has that problem unless I get lazy and my thumb drags the rail. That WILL cause a 41 to stovepipe and other FTE.

I would only trust my life to Eley priming, and CCI, if I had to carry a .22.

-Nate

Okay I guess I should clarify. The standard for the average Murican who isn't shooting paper.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    So, I went to the range today and took my one remaining box of the Stingers I sighted the G44's red dot in with, fired 5 rounds and they worked flawlessly. I then fired 5 rounds of the new packaged Stingers and they all choked, all FTE's. That, to me, confirms I got a bad batch of Stingers. I am gonna buy some more from a store down by our Perry County property and see if they are better, as they should be a different lot number. That's my thinking anyway.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    So, I went to the range today and took my one remaining box of the Stingers I sighted the G44's red dot in with, fired 5 rounds and they worked flawlessly. I then fired 5 rounds of the new packaged Stingers and they all choked, all FTE's. That, to me, confirms I got a bad batch of Stingers. I am gonna buy some more from a store down by our Perry County property and see if they are better, as they should be a different lot number. That's my thinking anyway.
    I would think CCI would know if they put out a bad batch. Try calling their customer service, the number is on the bottom of their website.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I got some stinger ammo not in the box on a firearm deal a while back. I tried to fire two of the rounds twice. No ignition. I tossed them with the rest of the handful. First time I ever had Stingers not go bang. I grabbed some from a known good lot and they were flawless. I really wonder about those bad ones life. Could have been kept too close to cleaning products or some other nightmare. I only trust ammo from lots I've fired and kept in a sealed ammo can. Remember any ammo can be compromised.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I got some stinger ammo not in the box on a firearm deal a while back. I tried to fire two of the rounds twice. No ignition. I tossed them with the rest of the handful. First time I ever had Stingers not go bang. I grabbed some from a known good lot and they were flawless. I really wonder about those bad ones life. Could have been kept too close to cleaning products or some other nightmare. I only trust ammo from lots I've fired and kept in a sealed ammo can. Remember any ammo can be compromised.
    From my limited understanding rimfire ammo is more sensitive to being bounced/jostled around compared to centerfire. The primer compound is more likely to be dislodged.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I would think CCI would know if they put out a bad batch. Try calling their customer service, the number is on the bottom of their website.
    Yep, I was going to say call them as well. They would probably like the lot number at least, maybe even any remaining ammo to check. I've heard of people that that has happened to, the company send replacement ammo.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I bought a used S&w Model 41 several years ago after about a 30 year layoff from pistol shooting. (I had shot matches with one in the 1960's The accuracy was terrible with CCI Standard Velocity. A CS rep at S&W told me that the gun was originally designed for Remington Standard Velocity but was changed when Remington developed quality problems. I got a box of Remington Standard and the accuracy problems disappeared as long as I was happy with only 8 out of ten shots firing.
    I bought a new barrel {ouch!) and the problem disappeared with the CCI. I get a slight improvement in accuracy with CCI
    Pistol Match. European pistol match wouldn't improve my failing skills.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    So there I was, fresh new Stingers in hand I just bought from Dave's Guns in Holland. I shoot 5 and most were FTE's. Time to strip off the red dot and mount and go through the gun and figure it out. Deep cleaned everything, oiled it up and put it back together. Shot 10 more and same deal. I then took off the red dot and mount again and Viola! gun works as advertised. Doesn't make much sense as it works fine with the red dot, mount and my older Stingers, but, whatever. Those Stingers put out an impressive fireball at dusk. Anyway, problem solved, no red dot for the G44.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So there I was, fresh new Stingers in hand I just bought from Dave's Guns in Holland. I shoot 5 and most were FTE's. Time to strip off the red dot and mount and go through the gun and figure it out. Deep cleaned everything, oiled it up and put it back together. Shot 10 more and same deal. I then took off the red dot and mount again and Viola! gun works as advertised. Doesn't make much sense as it works fine with the red dot, mount and my older Stingers, but, whatever. Those Stingers put out an impressive fireball at dusk. Anyway, problem solved, no red dot for the G44.
    That's too bad. Sorry to hear that. Not sure if there is another ammo it might run with.

I've got a TX-22 compact and it is optic cut from the factory and runs like a champ with a Holosun 407k on it even with Remington Golden Bullet, Aguila, etc.

The slides on the compact have lightening cuts that I presume help offset the weight of the optic.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Two Words. Taurus Perfection.
    The TX22 is a great 22lr handgun.
    If you find one on sale get one.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I got one! $230 out the door @ the LGS with Ameriglo night sights that are nice and bright. The trigger is the best part. I'm probably gonna red dot it at some point.
    View attachment 349154
    If you haven't checked it out, take a look at the TX-22 Compact which is already factory cut for optic. I have one and it functions extremely well with an optic mounted.

Not sure how well the standard TX-22 would function with an optic if it's not a factory cut and designed to function with an optic (might be fine, I don't know) given that 22 LR isn't a very powerful round. The TX-22 competition is another option and has a mount for the optic that is non reciprocating I believe.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Top Bottom