• ...and so much more!
  • SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    Over the weekend, I stopped in to my local Wal-Mart to pick up some white box 9mm Winchester ammo to take to the range. I went back to the guns & ammunition counter and there was no one there (surprise, surprise) I walked down a couple isles and found an employee and asked him to call someone with a key to the ammo counter. After about 20 minutes, a couple of young college aged employees came out of an isle and said, "someone call for us?" I said, "yeah, I need some 9mm ammo out of the case". I think my tone may have portrayed that I was a bit agitated, because one of the two employees began cracking jokes that I didn't feel were funny AT ALL. He said, "Oh man, I think this one's a little pissed off. You might want to make sure that ammo is sealed up tight. Wouldn't want anyone going postal on us." I turned around and I said (obviously angry at this point), "what did you just say?". He then laughingly said, "I'm just sayin man, you seemed mad, I didn't want you to open that box up and go off on us." I then said, "I don't think this is funny at all." Then he said, to his co-worker, "Dang man, really seal it up now, I'm really scared he's gonna shoot us." I said, "you should be scared. But not because I'm buying ammo, because I think you probably just lost your job." After this, the other kid dismissed the idiot who was heckling me. He was shell-shocked and embarrassed to be hearing this idiot co-worker of his harass me to that magnitude. He then rang me up and told me that the other kid was way out of line. I told him it wasn't his fault, but I was going to report him. And that's exactly what I did. I went to customer service and reported him. They looked shocked as you would expect, but I am not sure whether or not he was fired. I would hope to god he was though.

I was just wondering if anything like this has happened to you or what you would do if you were me?

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    i always have to wait a long time for employees to open up the case where the ammo is at. but other than that its usually a good time

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I'm pretty sure you handled it in the best possible manner. +1 for not blowing up on the kid, and another +1 for not letting some **** be an ass and get away with it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The part about waiting for ever to get someone to the ammo counter,YES. The other thanksfully no. Sorry you had to deal with that buit seems like you keep your witts though:yesway:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    This is one of the reasons I avoid shopping at Wal-Mart. It's a big corporation that can lower prices temporarily to drive out mom-and-pop stores, and then after they've become the only game in town, they jack up the prices. They have terrible benefits for their employees, they treat them poorly, and their salespeople are not very knowledgeable. And guess why their goods are so cheap? Because they are not made in the USA. If you want to buy ammo there, you have to wait for some guy to open the cabinet for you, and forget it if you want to ask a question.

Boycott Wal-Mart. Support local gun stores where knowledgeable sales staff treats you with respect.

Here's another reason:

Woman Kicked Out of Walmart Woman Shopping in String Bikini at Wal-Mart

Women should be able to shop in string bikinis all they want. However, guys should be provided with blinders in some cases.

Da Bing

justjoe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    gun counter at walmart
    don't let this end here. go to wal-mart.com and email them with the store number, on the receipt. and the employee's name. What he did was rude and unconscionable and should not be allowed to stand. We shouldn't tolerate this kind of behavior in anyone, much less in a sales position.

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I'm lucky our Wal-mart in Warsaw has a pretty good group of guys in the sporting goods, at least the ones on 2nd shift. One guy in particular, Jeff, is nice and good to talk to. He's a shooter also. Never had a problem other than sometimes they are hard to get a hold of to open the ammo case.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    When ever I walk into the sporting goods department at the 96th street Wal-Mart in Fishers one of the employees there usually walks over to the case and asks what I need today. I've had the luxury of getting to know most of them and usually have a conversation about what's been going on with them. There have been times when I go in late at night or on Sunday morning when you have to look for someone but that is not the norm. Spend a few minutes and get to know the people that serve you and you'll be surprised how good service can be.

Silverado

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    This is one of the reasons I avoid shopping at Wal-Mart. It's a big corporation that can lower prices temporarily to drive out mom-and-pop stores, and then after they've become the only game in town, they jack up the prices. They have terrible benefits for their employees, they treat them poorly, and their salespeople are not very knowledgeable. And guess why their goods are so cheap? Because they are not made in the USA. If you want to buy ammo there, you have to wait for some guy to open the cabinet for you, and forget it if you want to ask a question.

Boycott Wal-Mart. Support local gun stores where knowledgeable sales staff treats you with respect.

Here's another reason:

Woman Kicked Out of Walmart Woman Shopping in String Bikini at Wal-Mart

Women should be able to shop in string bikinis all they want. However, guys should be provided with blinders in some cases.

Da Bing

I buy ammo at Wal-Mart on a regular basis, and have never had a problem. Not everything in Wal-Mart is made overseas, and they certainly aren't the only store with items that are not made in the USA. Perhaps they don't pay their people very well, but I've never seen a "mom and pop" operation employ as many people in a given area as Wal-Mart.

I hardly need "knowledgeable salespeople" to buy a pair of pants, a gallon of milk, or a box of target ammo. And as far as "jacking the prices up," I've yet to see it.

But yeah, American corporations are evil. God forbid someone doesn't make $50,000 a year to run a cash register. :rolleyes:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I went into an auto parts store one morning, they were busy, several customers deep in front of the counter and the phones ringing off the hook. I know for fact that they are instructed to wait on phone customers FIRST as they assume the guy standing there WILL wait but they have to lure in the customer on the phone.

I had my arms full of oil, filters and a couple of other things, one of which was something in a glass bottle, don't remember right now what it was but after being asked to wait after it was finally my turn at the counter while 3 different phone calls were answered my arms must have gotten tired because I lost my grip on everything in my arms and unfortunately the bottle dropped and shattered, spilling the contents all over the floor.

Yeah I'm an ******* and yeah I've employed this tactic on more than one occassion! Places like this don't think the customer will "invest" time in waiting and then after so long leave, they think the customer will continue to accept this abuse for the privilege of spending their money with that establishment! Ain't gonna happen!

Walmart always has such a fine selection of sticky liquids to "drop"!

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I apologize to the OP for your experience as this would not be tolerated in my store.

Last edited:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I have never had an issue. But then, I always have full control over my emotions and am always polite, even when agitated.

Even when it takes 30 minutes to find someone to open the ammo case.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I buy ammo at Wal-Mart on a regular basis, and have never had a problem. Not everything in Wal-Mart is made overseas, and they certainly aren't the only store with items that are not made in the USA. Perhaps they don't pay their people very well, but I've never seen a "mom and pop" operation employ as many people in a given area as Wal-Mart.

I hardly need "knowledgeable salespeople" to buy a pair of pants, a gallon of milk, or a box of target ammo. And as far as "jacking the prices up," I've yet to see it.

But yeah, American corporations are evil. God forbid someone doesn't make $50,000 a year to run a cash register. :rolleyes:

Why don't we take a long-term view of things. If you buy ammo at Wal-Mart, that means your favorite local gun store isn't getting that money. Eventually that may add up, and the local store might have to close. You will no longer have the chance to check out the guns before you buy them. (This is assuming that the local store's prices are reasonably competitive with Wal-Mart's.)

You may not need salespeople to help you with basic item purchases, but what if one day you decide to move one step up and buy something more complicated? Where will you get real customer service?

Yes, Wal-Mart may employ the greatest number of people for one business, but for the amount it sells, it probably employs the least number of people. Sure, the term "economy of scale" comes to mind, but so does "poor service staff." I'm willing to pay more for better service, and better service can come only from well-qualified people who find satisfaction on their job. That doesn't seem to be the case for Wal-Mart.

As for anti-competitive practices and poor treatment of employees, these are well-documented, so I'll let the interested google on their own. Yes, people should make a salary that corresponds to their expertise. But for putting in honest 8 hours per day, you should make a living wage. In the book Nickle and Dimed, B. Ehrenreich goes undercover and writes about her experiences working at various low-end jobs, including at Wal-Mart. All I can say is I'm glad I don't work there.

It's your choice where you shop, and I respect that. But I also want you to know the implications of your action.

Da Bing

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I have gotten to know the guy on evening shift at our WalMart... Good guy. I also buy from our local Farm store, and gun shop. If I am at Walmart, and got the funds to get a box or two, I get it, if I am near the gun shop, and need or want some ammo, I buy it, and the same with the farm store.
    As for the OP, props to keeping a level head with the jackwagon!

-MColford

Birdstrike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    I buy most of my ammo at walmart. Here's what I do... walk to sporting goods, if there is no one there (80% of the time), I call walmart on my cellphone ask for someone to meet me at sporting goods with ammo case key. This is way easier on the nerves than hunting down an employee. Funny when the operator says "really? there's no one there? YMMV

Top Bottom