• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I was just messing around with one of my AR's and I noticed something funny...
    I pulled the bolt back, hit the BAD lever to hold it open, and inserted a magazine. I then noticed the buttstock needed adjusted (my girl was using it previously). When I got it where I like, I tapped the buttplate to make sure it was seated, and the bolt slammed forward, putting a round in battery. I was a little surprised, so I did it again. It is repeatable.
    Is this supposed to happen?? I wouldn't think that just tapping the buttstock would send the bolt home

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I always unload my firearms before I play with them.
    And why would you believe when you smack a butt stock on a auto loader that's locked open, it on occasion might release the bolt?
    Even more so with a extension added to the bolt release lever.
    I would say get rid of That Bad Lever for starters.
    It was unloaded when I was "playing" with it. But I was about to put it away into the closet, where it stays loaded.

I'm just wondering WHY would smacking the buttstock release the bolt. Is it a BAD lever issue? Bolt catch issue? Or is this something that just happens

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It was unloaded when I was "playing" with it. But I was about to put it away into the closet, where it stays loaded.

I'm just wondering WHY would smacking the buttstock release the bolt. Is it a BAD lever issue? Bolt catch issue? Or is this something that just happens
    When you bump the butt stock it can cause the bcg to move a little which can release the bolt catch.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Take an unloaded AR with or without a BAD lever, lock the bolt back without a magazine in there and drop it straight on its buttstock from about a foot or less. That’s kind of an exaggerated effect of what a tap on the stock, but you get the picture.

I bet lots of semiautos(not just ARs) would drop the bolt in similar circumstances.

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Take an unloaded AR with or without a BAD lever, lock the bolt back without a magazine in there and drop it straight on its buttstock from about a foot or less. That’s kind of an exaggerated effect of what a tap on the stock, but you get the picture.

I bet lots of semiautos(not just ARs) would drop the bolt in similar circumstances.
    I can totally understand this would happen with an exaggerated slam to the stock, but just a light tap? Seemed too easy. When it first happened, I attributed it to the bad lever, but apparently that wouldn't have made a difference.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I always unload my firearms before I play with them.
    And why would you believe when you smack a butt stock on a auto loader that's locked open, it on occasion might release the bolt?
    Even more so with a extension added to the bolt release lever.
    I would say get rid of That Bad Lever for starters.
    ^^This - I've been in 2 rifle classes where bad lever's were removed while everyone else was reloading mags.

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    THIS. And the safety on Garands and M1As arent great either.

Its a bad idea when you have to stick your finger inside the trigger guard to do anything except pull the trigger.
    Is this the only reason why you'd say bad levers are bad? My finger does not go into the trigger guard, it is completely accessible with a straight, safe finger from outside the guard

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is this the only reason why you'd say bad levers are bad? My finger does not go into the trigger guard, it is completely accessible with a straight, safe finger from outside the guard
    Its like the SERPA derps. Its fine technology that works well under perfect conditions. That is until your finger slips and ends up being where you dont want it to be under stress.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County

Ruger 10/22s with a modified bolt hold open will definitely drop the bolt with a sharp blow to the butt stock. But, never had this happen with the Ruger factory part installed.

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Its like the SERPA derps. Its fine technology that works well under perfect conditions. That is until your finger slips and ends up being where you dont want it to be under stress.
    Ok I just looked up the serpa, and can definitely see why that is a bad design. That is basically applying force on your trigger finger INTO the trigger, but using the bad lever, your finger is straight, and outside the guard.
    I'm not trying to say it's a great tool or anything, but under duress I wouldn't be using it, and its great for when I'm at the range

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Ok I just looked up the serpa, and can definitely see why that is a bad design. That is basically applying force on your trigger finger INTO the trigger, but using the bad lever, your finger is straight, and outside the guard.
    I'm not trying to say it's a great tool or anything, but under duress I wouldn't be using it, and its great for when I'm at the range
    Do you know you wouldn't use it under duress? Have you trained to the point of duress?

In my experience, when I'm under pressure I tend to fall back to what I've done the most. Maybe you're different, but my guess is the muscle memory of using the BAD lever at the range, may be what you default to.

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Do you know you wouldn't use it under duress? Have you trained to the point of duress?

In my experience, when I'm under pressure I tend to fall back to what I've done the most. Maybe you're different, but my guess is the muscle memory of using the BAD lever at the range, may be what you default to.
    I absolutely have not trained to the point of duress. But, I've used more AR's without them, than I have with. So to me, it's just an accessory, that isn't muscle memory. I actually have to remind myself that it's there.
    I'm obviously no guru, hence my newb thread, but the whole point of this was to see if other people's rifles go into battery with just a meager tap on the stock. I didn't know if that was normal, or if my bolt catch or bad lever wasn't working how it should.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Take the ND lever off your rifle and throw it in the trash.

The spring on the bolt catch holds it in the disengaged position until the magazine follower pushes it up, where it catches the bolt. Without the magazine follower pushing it, the only thing stopping it from returning to the disengaged position is friction of the bolt catch on the bolt head. If you smack the rear of the gun hard enough, the bolt can bounce back off the bolt catch, and the spring will disengage it.

Top Bottom