• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    Indiana is a pretty good state, and there's more here than what you see from statistics.

You dislike a place you chose to move to, and that's the states fault, exactly how?

In another thread, you place emphasis on sunny days and no snow, yet you CHOSE to live in a place where it might get cold, and *GASP* it might snow.

As far as Im concerned you can get out of my state, we don't really want people here that don't want to be here.

On another note, your connotations about lack of formal education somehow equaling a reason for the state to be looked down on makes me wonder if you ever heard of a thing called Skilled trades, and people called professionals, even though they didn't sit through 4 years of BS that teaches you more about learning how to pass the tests, than practical real world knowledge, that you need to be successful. Maybe your a teacher, or someone else who benefits from the self serving, man made monstrosity that is formal education in this country.

Im surrounded by people that make your statistic better, and they all make AT LEAST 4 dollars an hour less than me, and tote around as much debt as they would have if they'd have bought a house.

But they got a piece of paper, and some hope... As we've learned from the current administration, hope is not enough, and as we look back on the last 50 years, and compare the America of now, to the America of then, its pretty easy to see that change isnt always good.

DANIELSON: You need to lay-off on the coffee. Too much caffeine getting to you?
    Seriously, I apologize for my error. Since being transferred back to Indiana, I did not realize that this is now “Your State” and I’ve been trespassing. But since you own the state and I’ll soon be moving please allow me to give you some parting advice:

Your reaction to the stats on education in the state seemed to strike a nerve. They were meant to point out a problem stifling business growth and economic development. Instead of understanding a statewide problem, you chose to turn it into a rant against higher education? Then you went on to compare your income to those more educated but earning less. You concluded your response with some thinly veiled political comments about change. Didn’t remember mentioning any of this in my post and I don’t judge others by income or education. Family and doing what you love are what is important.

My advice is since you own the state and are vastly smarter than I, it might be a good idea to enroll in an evening course at your local university and take Business & Economics 101. Then you will understand why the stats I mentioned are so bad and what is happening in "Your State". You also need to move to another part of the country to see what it’s like elsewhere. Your view sounds extremely narrow minded. Typical of someone who lives in one place their entire life and is clueless how the rest of the world works, believing that where they live is the center of culture and the center of the universe. Once educated, perhaps you will have the wisdom, knowledge and with some data, come back and fix “Your State” lest we all leave and you are left to turn off the lights as the last person out.

BTW… College Graduates earn an average of $17K more per year than non-graduates and have an unemployment rate substantially lower. Higher education is terrible.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    As someone who grew up in Michigan I'm kind of disappointed nobody in Indiana seems to like Hockey. I've been to a couple Ice games; the seats are always empty and they're really not that fun to watch. You also get weird looks if you go to a sports bar and ask them if any TVs have the Red Wings on.

Silverslider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    Indiana is a great state for guns, but what are some bad things about living here? I was coming back from Ohio the other day, and man, their roads seemed to be in better condition. I wish we had better maintained roads here.
    not sure what part of ohio but the roads around Cincinnati are in sad shape compared to ours across the border

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    DANIELSON: You need to lay-off on the coffee. Too much caffeine getting to you?
    Seriously, I apologize for my error. Since being transferred back to Indiana, I did not realize that this is now “Your State” and I’ve been trespassing. But since you own the state and I’ll soon be moving please allow me to give you some parting advice:

Your reaction to the stats on education in the state seemed to strike a nerve. They were meant to point out a problem stifling business growth and economic development. Instead of understanding a statewide problem, you chose to turn it into a rant against higher education? Then you went on to compare your income to those more educated but earning less. You concluded your response with some thinly veiled political comments about change. Didn’t remember mentioning any of this in my post and I don’t judge others by income or education. Family and doing what you love are what is important.

My advice is since you own the state and are vastly smarter than I, it might be a good idea to enroll in an evening course at your local university and take Business & Economics 101. Then you will understand why the stats I mentioned are so bad and what is happening in "Your State". You also need to move to another part of the country to see what it’s like elsewhere. Your view sounds extremely narrow minded. Typical of someone who lives in one place their entire life and is clueless how the rest of the world works, believing that where they live is the center of culture and the center of the universe. Once educated, perhaps you will have the wisdom, knowledge and with some data, come back and fix “Your State” lest we all leave and you are left to turn off the lights as the last person out.

BTW… College Graduates earn an average of $17K more per year than non-graduates and have an unemployment rate substantially lower. Higher education is terrible.

Thats the funny thing about those with a broad knowledge. They know whats statistically going on, but have no clue whats REALLY going on.

I assure you, there is an abundance of debt carrying college graduates that make less than those of us who were gifted with common sense and a strong will to work. Unfortunately, they don't teach that in college.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Greetings from the PRM.
    As for wanting to marry IN; do you think you could just fool around with it for a few months? You still don't have to tell your wife.
    It aint no fun if the hommies cant have none. Ill give her a ride then pass her on. Not sure if IN is going to like it though she seems a little conservative. Guess if i just mess around with the NW part she will be good to go.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I am the OP. Danielson and jss, take your fight outside.

Every state has negatives and positives. This thread is for sharing our experiences and opinions about the negatives of living in Indiana. It's not meant to denounce this state as worthless altogether. There is no need for anyone to get defensive.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    It's hatred towards active duty/vets. Other states members of the armed forces don't pay state incom taxes or get free college. Hell to get a damn navy license plate I have to pay extra.

If I was so inclined I could go to any state college in connecticut just because I was stationed in the state while serving.

And Btw all of subways "meat" comes from Indiana(southern to boot). The turkey based ones that is.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Things I dislike about Indiana:

1) DTS.
    2) Lack of decent paying jobs.
    3) Property out in the country in almost any counties is expensive, some more then others.
    4) Anti-SBS and SBR restrictions.
    5) Expensive housing, although not really Indiana's fault, just supply and demand when cummins brings in a crap load of workers.
    6) The very fact we have any gun laws, there should be none per the 2nd amendment.
    7) Mom's who demands action.
    8) Can't buy alcohol on Sunday.

That is all I can think of at the moment, I'll add more if I think of them.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Things I dislike about Indiana:

1) DTS.
    2) Lack of decent paying jobs.
    3) Property out in the country in almost any counties is expensive, some more then others.
    4) Anti-SBS and SBR restrictions.
    5) Expensive housing, although not really Indiana's fault, just supply and demand when cummins brings in a crap load of workers.
    6) The very fact we have any gun laws, there should be none per the 2nd amendment.
    7) Mom's who demands action.
    8) Can't buy alcohol on Sunday.

That is all I can think of at the moment, I'll add more if I think of them.

Don't we have the same SBR restrictions as any other NFA states? I've got mine. :dunno:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    There are a lot of great things to say about Indiana, but if I had to list the downsides:

No mountains or oceans in my area.
    People aren't as friendly as they are out west or down south. Store clerks especially.

OTOH: This has been the safest and least expensive state I have lived in.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    bad things about indiana:

State tax.
    County tax. (no sure how many states do this but the first i have lived in) totally stupid way of raping the tax payer again and again.
    no fresh sea food (unless you want to pay through the A$$
    terrible roads.
    gas prices stay about 15c higher then national rates.
    no yingaling beer...............WTF.
    no booze sales on sunday or from gas stations.
    deer, huge amount of deer equals lots of wrecks and higher auto insurance (love hunting/ watching deer so well worth it for me)

lots of great things about living in indiana too!

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I was born in Fort Wayne Indiana and grew up in Columbia City Indiana, from 13-18 I could not wait to graduate HS and get the hell out of this place.

Moved to AZ, always warm, best gun laws in the country and had the biggest ball of my life. But after two years I came back home and I tell you one thing I learned, this really is Gods country!! I love Indiana, I love the humidity that tells me its time to go to the lake, I love the snow that I can take my son out in to play in. I love the cold that tells me its time to throw another log on the fire and hang out with my family. I love the crunch of the leaves in the fall that tells me its time to light the bon fire and spend some time with nature and a gun. I love the smell of spring, everything turning green, and getting the truck stuck in the field is anything but dull to me. Indiana is the place for me!!

I hate that I cannot buy beer on Sunday!!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    It's hatred towards active duty/vets. Other states members of the armed forces don't pay state incom taxes or get free college. Hell to get a damn navy license plate I have to pay extra.

If I was so inclined I could go to any state college in connecticut just because I was stationed in the state while serving.

And Btw all of subways "meat" comes from Indiana(southern to boot). The turkey based ones that is.

Hatred = not getting free crap? Whaaaaaaaa?

Anyway,

I will vote heartily for the large population of suicidal squirrels and rabbits that seem focused on getting my poor truck totaled.
    I also dislike the propensity for people locally to let their cats run wild and breed with the ferals. It's bad enough raising chickens with hawks, 'coons, and cyotes without worrying about some half-breed cat killing my girls :rolleyes:

TheNewGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Yea if they got away with that state tax.....it'd be nice.....I worked in payroll and remember all the states without state tax

Top Bottom