• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A lot of people use "out the door" when buying vehicles. It's a good way to know what you want to pay when comparing at different dealers because most of them have different fees. Out the door is the money that comes out of your wallet, not necessarily what the seller gets (he has to split it with the .gov).

100% on this. Out the door is a very common term on fairly large purchases, such as furniture, car, gun, etc. I've never had anyone "misunderstand" the term. It has been refused a time or 2, but never misunderstood.

It's still a sellers market, whether it is an "assault weapon" or not, guns are flying off the shelves at all the LGS's, and anything that already has a reasonable price is going to sell. I understand why you're mad, I too have been on both sides of the tables at gun shows. Out the door does typically mean tax included, this may be a term exclusive to gun shows, but that is what it means in my mind. But guns are the only commodity that people expect the dealer to "eat the tax" so to speak, that I am aware of. We don't go to jewelry or furniture stores and expect the same thing. At least I don't, I just expect that sales tax will be collected by any retail establishment. Like I said in an earlier post, I think the landscape is changing in the gun community.

I do go to the jewelry/furniture store and deal with OTD pricing. I'm not expecting them to eat the tax, it is just an easier way to negotiate on a final end price, and move back from there.

I use the "OTD" purchasing technique on every major purchase we make.
    Furniture/jewelry/guns....everything.
    Sometimes folks are willing to deal....sometimes not.

My experience exactly.

pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    This exact thing happened to me last year at a gun show. I made a cash deal out the door with the guy, then after I was approved he rang it up with the sales tax. The deal I made with the guy was every dime I had on me at the time...the guy wouldn't budge and I left empty handed. Not sure what the deal is, but they should tell you if the tax is extra or included in the deal.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Correct, but I have an awesome APP (called a caculator) that shows me the purchase price could have been written up as $373.99, and with the 7%, come out right at the agreed upon $400 OTD

Good for you. It's a matter of principal. If he accepted your offer then he should have honored it. He is the one who should have apologized to you.

Last edited:

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    This, while not being completely up & up, is not "Bait & Switch".

Bait & Switch would be LGS advertising "Kimber Grand Raptor II" for $700 all weekend long". Then, when you get there, they of course are "All sold out". Then they tell you "But we have a Hi Point here that I can sell you for $600". That's a bait and switch.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    It's still a sellers market, whether it is an "assault weapon" or not, guns are flying off the shelves at all the LGS's, and anything that already has a reasonable price is going to sell. I understand why you're mad, I too have been on both sides of the tables at gun shows. Out the door does typically mean tax included, this may be a term exclusive to gun shows, but that is what it means in my mind. But guns are the only commodity that people expect the dealer to "eat the tax" so to speak, that I am aware of. We don't go to jewelry or furniture stores and expect the same thing. At least I don't, I just expect that sales tax will be collected by any retail establishment. Like I said in an earlier post, I think the landscape is changing in the gun community.

In the past year I have negotiated out the door pricing on guns with at least two gun stores and a couple dealers at gun shows. Out the door means out the door. OTD means I am offering you X dollars and not a cent more for your item. Take it or leave it.

I have walked away from deals over $10. It's a matter of principle. Negotiate with me, give me something. I don't like to pay full price for any big ticket item. I attach a mental price to objects and that's the max I am willing to pay. I will compromise if the seller will as well. Otherwise I will look elsewhere.

I buy appliances and bigger ticket items at HH Gregg & Lowes because they will negotiate on their prices. I need to feel like it's a deal and they value my business. Why pay more than I have to. It never hurts to ask and the worst that can happen is they will say no. The up side is they may give me a deal.

Try it, it's fun. :)

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32

Bait & Switch would be LGS advertising "Kimber Grand Raptor II" for $700 all weekend long". Then, when you get there, they of course are "All sold out". Then they tell you "But we have a Hi Point here that I can sell you for $600". That's a bait and switch.

Exactly. But it got your attention, right? I'm not creative enough to come up with a 3-word moniker to describe this situation.:):

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Exactly. But it got your attention, right? I'm not creative enough to come up with a 3-word moniker to describe this situation.:):

The we, as INGO, should come up with a term! Because, you Mistap, have executed a bait and switch on INGO at large! I wanted to hear about a bait and switch and instead I heard about reneging on a deal.

How about we call what happened to you a 'Mistap' in your honor? :):

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Even Walmart knows the OTD policy. I've bought clearance items and bargained with them on the OTD price. Just back calculate tax and voila, they charge you accordingly. If Walmart can recognize this term than anyone should.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    This is why I do not negotiate 1 penny at gun shows. The price I put on the table is the absolute minimum penny I will take. If I have 450 on somthing and you offer me 449 you will not leave with it. I feel like everyone deserves a honest price, not just the folks that "negotiate" for it.

My method really pisses alot of people off, because they are usto having to work for the best price, and I just start there so they dont feel like they "won", but others really appriciate that I didnt try and milk them for every dime in the first place.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is why I do not negotiate 1 penny at gun shows. The price I put on the table is the absolute minimum penny I will take.

My method really pisses a lot of people off, because they are used to having to work for the best price, and I just start there so they don't feel like they "won", but others really appreciate that I didn't try and milk them for every dime in the first place.

I'm fine with paying the posted if that price is a decent deal. It seems like people just intentionally ask for 20% just so they can come down 15% and make the buyer feel like they won.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm fine with paying the posted if that price is a decent deal. It seems like people just intentionally ask for 20% just so they can come down 15% and make the buyer feel like they won.

Id say about 90% of the time thats exactly how it works. Mabye Im the wierd one who doesnt think that makes sense, because Im defintally the minority.

Top Bottom