• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This is very true. An acquaintance of mine got into this very situation with a CO this past year. The CO explained to him that even though the area where the mineral block was positioned, was several hundred yards away and completely out of sight from the stand, deer might pass within viewing distance of the stand on their way to the mineral block.

That's ridiculous. It's legal to bait in Kentucky, maybe the deer on our farm are headed that way for some corn, I mean it's only a few hundred miles. Guess I shouldn't hunt until Kentucky changes its laws.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    That's ridiculous. It's legal to bait in Kentucky, maybe the deer on our farm are headed that way for some corn, I mean it's only a few hundred miles. Guess I shouldn't hunt until Kentucky changes its laws.

Yep, guess you shouldn't hunt. Simple rule set forth and takes little effort to follow.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yep, guess you shouldn't hunt. Simple rule set forth and takes little effort to follow.

Ok, explain the rule. I'd like to know the acceptable distance please. I'd also like to know if that distance is dependent upon the type of land in question. Is the distance the same when hunting over a picked corn field compared to woods? What if there is a river bordering my property and someone put bait out 200yds on the other side, I'm guilty?

I have no issue with a well written law against baiting. There is a funny little word you'll find pretty frequently in the crimial laws of Indiana, the word reasonable. A law written as vaguely as Indiana's baiting law leaves it wide open to the unreasonable interpretations of some who enforce it.

Last edited:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Hey maybe if we're lucky, Indiana will become a state where you can load up a spreader and throw corn behind your 4wheeler as you drive to your stand. Then get your "hunt" on.

I mean today's society is all about everyone getting a trophy.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I didn't figure you could provide an answer. Please, amidst your snark, find a post where I advocated for baiting. If you can spare a moment from your holier than thou passing of judgement activities that is.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods

Snark away!

No set distance just a sportsman's rule that like I said is easy to keep yourself out of trouble.

Continue with your snarkiness since it's only good for you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Maybe we should petition DNR to change other existing laws to be more like the baiting law. I'm all in favor of a restriction on only shooting deer which are old enough. I'd like to be able to hunt deer with any weapon that's good enough. I want my bag limits on deer, turkey and crappie to be set to "enough". We'll just employ "sportsman's rules" and allow the CO's to determine what makes a deer old enough, which weapons are good enough and when I've harvested enough. No need for anything set in stone.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    There have been several posts explaining a baited sight here. It's not rocket science to understand how a hunter can use bait to their advantage. If you can't understand what baited means, then again you should stay out of the woods!

Holy enough for you:)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There have been several posts explaining a baited sight here. It's not rocket science to understand how a hunter can use bait to their advantage. If you can't understand what baited means, then again you should stay out of the woods!

Holy enough for you:)

I get it, you don't like baiting so you're fine with an obscure law so people who do such terrible things like putting minerals out for deer can get ****ed over. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to reap the benefit of a poorly written law some day.

Since you've no idea who you're talking to nor anything about the way I hunt you'll have to forgive me for not staying out of the woods at your request. Troll on.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    You can take a deer at 120 yds with a bow!?

You`re making a oversimplification. There`s a very good reason the regulations aren`t specific as to a set distance. Baiting can alter well established travel routes used by white-tails. Even if the bait is several hundred yards from your stand, that bait may well bring them past your chosen stand site. Those like you, who want to make tongue-in-cheek anecdotal comments are a glaring example of why the law is set so that it`s at the discretion of the CO as to whether it is indeed a violation. I appreciate the fact that we in Indiana make our hunting the most fair chase hunt we can, and personally, I see no fair chase aspect in baiting. There will be those who will disagree, and I`m not here to debate whether using scents, or hunting crop field edges is "baiting". I like our laws, mostly as they are.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It either needs to be more specific or it needs to be forbidden. I don't feel strongly enough about baiting to care which way it goes but its a train wreck as it stands. Laws should not be vague in their construction. If one CO would consider it baiting and the next wouldn't there is a problem.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    You`re making a oversimplification. There`s a very good reason the regulations aren`t specific as to a set distance. Baiting can alter well established travel routes used by white-tails. Even if the bait is several hundred yards from your stand, that bait may well bring them past your chosen stand site. Those like you, who want to make tongue-in-cheek anecdotal comments are a glaring example of why the law is set so that it`s at the discretion of the CO as to whether it is indeed a violation. I appreciate the fact that we in Indiana make our hunting the most fair chase hunt we can, and personally, I see no fair chase aspect in baiting. There will be those who will disagree, and I`m not here to debate whether using scents, or hunting crop field edges is "baiting". I like our laws, mostly as they are.

Read the email I posted from DNR. Furthermore, that sort of legal standard only makes a violation easier to beat in court.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    It either needs to be more specific or it needs to be forbidden. I don't feel strongly enough about baiting to care which way it goes but its a train wreck as it stands. Laws should not be vague in their construction. If one CO would consider it baiting and the next wouldn't there is a problem.

I can agree with that. I think there should be no baiting ever, for any reason, then this is all a moot point anyway.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i think the baiting law is kind of stupid.......you can't set a tree stand over a place where you put corn but you plant corn in your food plot your can hunt over it????......

bait should be bait grown or thrown on the ground.......they are both baiting......

Top Bottom