Bake the Cake.... and Do My Return.... OR ELSE!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Oh, for pete's sake, it's a just a tax return. :facepalm:

As a conservative Christian, this level of legalism is disgusting.

God's not mad at a Christian who fills out a 1040 for gay couple. But he sure is at the self-righteous person who puts up this legalistic BS. Does Nancy file returns for anyone who's divorced? What about unmarried couples?

An how exactly does being an ******* help? Does she think if she won't file their 1040, then they'll go straight darken a church door on Sunday? Fat chance. She'll only perpetuate the myth that, maybe, "God doesn't hates fags", Christians sure do!

Baking a cake, performing in the wedding... yeah I get how that's possibly condoning, but filing a tax return? Gimme a break. This ain't a swastika cake, it's a ****ing 1040!

All this does is make the tribalism worse. We have to buy the right knives for tribe, shop at the right grocery for our tribe, use the right bank, the right restaurant, watch the right news, now use the right CPA.

I'm so sick of the righteous indignation from the right and the left. The complete and utter lack of any modicum of understanding and toleration.

If Nancy the CPA loves Jesus so much, then, Nancy - would Jesus file their tax return? Anyone with any Sunday School time knows that answer.

:ranton:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Because they have been told they are always a winner their whole life
    Not that I disagree, because I don't buy into gay rights, but this is a case where Nancy the CPA has probably been told her whole life that the religious rules must always be followed; strict legalism.

I'm sure she put on a fake smile and said, "God loves, and so do I, but not enough to fill out your 1040. Now go away, because I don't want your sinful lifestyle anywhere near me. If you repent and divorce, then come back and see me."

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

God's not mad at a Christian who fills out a 1040 for gay couple. But he sure is at the self-righteous person who puts up this legalistic BS. Does Nancy file returns for anyone who's divorced? What about unmarried couples?

An how exactly does being an ******* help? Does she think if she won't file their 1040, then they'll go straight darken a church door on Sunday? Fat chance. She'll only perpetuate the myth that, maybe, "God doesn't hates fags", Christians sure do!

Baking a cake, performing in the wedding... yeah I get how that's possibly condoning, but filing a tax return? Gimme a break. This ain't a swastika cake, it's a ****ing 1040!

All this does is make the tribalism worse. We have to buy the right knives for tribe, shop at the right grocery for our tribe, use the right bank, the right restaurant, watch the right news, now use the right CPA.

I'm so sick of the righteous indignation from the right and the left. The complete and utter lack of any modicum of understanding and toleration.

If Nancy the CPA loves Jesus so much, then, Nancy - would Jesus file their tax return? Anyone with any Sunday School time knows that answer.

So you think folks should be forced to perform services against their will?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So you think folks should be forced to perform services against their will?

I really don't want to get into the the law, and businesses getting choosy with customers.

Personally, I find it quite distasteful for a business to have a litmus test for customers. But again, I don't want to comment on the that aspect.

But in this case, Nancy the CPA has clearly stated it's a "Christian thing".
    “This year, [Brazzel] came with her wife and I declined to prepare the taxes because of my religious beliefs,” Fivecoate said in a released statement. “I am a Christian and I believe marriage is between one man and one woman. I was very respectful to them. I told them where I thought she might be able to get her taxes prepared.”
    And I, as a Christian, have a serious objection to her actions and the damage it does.

I'm sure it won't be long till an accountant tells someone they won't do their taxes because they own an evil black rifle.

The fracturing of civil society continues. I lament that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know that I find it disgusting, but it earns an :rolleyes: from me.

It probably has more to do with the podcasts I've been listening to recently.

I suppose there's a bit of indignation on my part toward Nancy the CPA...

I think spending three hours filing 1040's tonight will calm me down.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It probably has more to do with the podcasts I've been listening to recently.

I suppose there's a bit of indignation on my part toward Nancy the CPA...

I think spending three hours filing 1040's tonight will calm me down.

As you know, my son does VITA. I don't know if he has had the issue, but I'm pretty confident if he did that he would simply assist the people in complying with their legal duties vis-a-vis the tax code. Because....yeah.

Wait, he probably hasn't income with certain demographics being what it is ;)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not that I disagree, because I don't buy into gay rights, but this is a case where Nancy the CPA has probably been told her whole life that the religious rules must always be followed; strict legalism.

I'm sure she put on a fake smile and said, "God loves, and so do I, but not enough to fill out your 1040. Now go away, because I don't want your sinful lifestyle anywhere near me. If you repent and divorce, then come back and see me."

Although I likely agree with some of your assessment of Nancy, I wondered if you have considered one point

Prior to this occasion, Nancy probably strongly suspected that her customer lived an unchristian lifestyle, but did not 'know' it

When they came in as a couple, proferring a marriage license and wanting to file jointly, is it not possible she had no more wiggle room to give her any benefit of the doubt?

It's a specious example, but wouldn't it be kind of like the difference between doing taxes for someone you suspected was a pimp and doing taxes for the same person while he also sought to claim his stable as dependents - the difference between suspicion and overt evidence?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Somebody doesn't want to bake a cake or do a tax return for you for ANY reason....go someplace else. It's called Liberty.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As you know, my son does VITA. I don't know if he has had the issue, but I'm pretty confident if he did that he would simply assist the people in complying with their legal duties vis-a-vis the tax code. Because....yeah.

Wait, he probably hasn't income with certain demographics being what it is ;)
    What if they're also illegals?

;)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Although I likely agree with some of your assessment of Nancy, I wondered if you have considered one point

Prior to this occasion, Nancy probably strongly suspected that her customer lived an unchristian lifestyle, but did not 'know' it

When they came in as a couple, proferring a marriage license and wanting to file jointly, is it not possible she had no more wiggle room to give her any benefit of the doubt?

It's a specious example, but wouldn't it be kind of like the difference between doing taxes for someone you suspected was a pimp and doing taxes for the same person while he also sought to claim his stable as dependents - the difference between suspicion and overt evidence?

The article says she has other gay clients, and will file their taxes. So, presumably she knew about their lifestyle. I guess it only becomes an issue when they're married.

So, what happens when Jane Doe comes in without John because they just got a divorce, "because it didn't work out". Unless John gave her a black eye, that's contrary to scripture. Would she turn Jane away?

Somebody doesn't want to bake a cake or do a tax return for you for ANY reason....go someplace else. It's called Liberty.
    From what I hear, Liberty Tax Service sucks.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Agree 100% with the concept!

What bothers me is that Jesus Christ, who "Christians" follow didn't say BOO about homosexuality, yet from what I understand he spoke out three (3) or four (4) times against divorce. If Nancy is a TRUE Christian and not selective in her judgement of others, then exactly how many divorcee's has she performed services for?

If folks want to stand on the New Testament soapbox of judgement I am 100% cool with that, but then don't be a hypocrite and selectively pick and chose the folks who are not following Jesus's preaching.

This does not mean I give up my position on corporations v/s DBA's (ie. fake persons v/s real persons), only that I find the logic flow much more amenable to my thinking.

Regards,

Doug

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Legalism notwithstanding, would it be so bad if they weren’t so preachy? I mean, if you don’t wanna do the gay ladies’ taxes, can’t you just say, sorry, I’m all booked up, but here’s a reference to someone who can help you. But no, they have to Mourdock the whole thing up and proclaim from the rooftops their moral virtue.

That said, it shouldn’t be a matter of law to make the tax preparer file the taxes. This kinda smells like it has some activism to it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...That said, it shouldn’t be a matter of law to make the tax preparer file the taxes. This kinda smells like it has some activism to it.

The people of Kokomo have seen fit to allow an ordinance that calls for punishment in this situation. Let this be a lesson to the rest of us.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I sometimes flip these situations in my mind and wonder what I would do if a tax preparer refused to prepare my taxes because I wasn't gay. Myself, I would shrug and just go somewhere else. Would it even be news?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I sometimes flip these situations in my mind and wonder what I would do if a tax preparer refused to prepare my taxes because I wasn't gay. Myself, I would shrug and just go somewhere else. Would it even be news?

Breitbart, Blaze, Western Journal, Fox News...

Top Bottom