Bake the Cake.... and Do My Return.... OR ELSE!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So the answer is "no" then?

yJkmSCn.gif

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Tax business denies service to local gay couple, citing religion | News | kokomotribune.com

Why would folks want to use FORCE to make somebody who does not want to do business with them do business with them?

Why should folks in a private business enterprise be forced to do business with those with whom they disagree?

Why would somebody want to do business with somebody who doasn't want their business when there's MANY others who would welcome it?

For example, some time back there was a business I began doing business with.

In a short time, it became OBVIOUS to me that the owner didn't like white people.
    SO I just went someplace else.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I find this question of "why would somebody want to..." interesting.

Why would negros want to sit at the counter when they know they're just going to get dirty looks and be treated crappy?

Why would a bunch of artists want to paint a picture of Mohammad when they know it's just going to anger Muslim extremists?

Why would folks want to open carry a firearm when the know it's going to scare people and possibly cause them problems?

Why would women want to go into dirty jobs and do the same hard, backbreaking work as men?

Why would gays want to serve in the military because they know they'll be kicked out if they're discovered, and possibly beaten?

Why would...?

I don't know. Perhaps because in the past when bigotry and intolerance have been challenged they have been brought down. That's why. Maybe...?

Regards,

Doug

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Why would negros want to sit at the counter when they know they're just going to get dirty looks and be treated crappy?

Why would a bunch of artists want to paint a picture of Mohammad when they know it's just going to anger Muslim extremists?

Why would folks want to open carry a firearm when the know it's going to scare people and possibly cause them problems?

Why would women want to go into dirty jobs and do the same hard, backbreaking work as men?

Why would gays want to serve in the military because they know they'll be kicked out if they're discovered, and possibly beaten?

Why would...?

I don't know. Perhaps because in the past when bigotry and intolerance have been challenged they have been brought down. That's why. Maybe...?

Regards,

Doug

IF those were universal truths in today's world you'd have a point.
    But they aren't.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Why would...?

Regards,

Doug
    Or. This isn’t civil rights era discrimination, bigotry, hate induced exclusion, or whatever. Some Christians believe that marriage is a god-ordained bond between a man and a woman and believe that doing things that tend to acknowledge it as a marrige is condoning it. They see it as sinful. You might argue that it’s a dubious religious interpretation. But there’s no evidence that it’s bigotry. It’s not shunning the couple because they’re icky. It’s a matter of belief.

Perhaps the tax prepared is wrong in his or her interpretation. But looking down noses and pointing fingers is no better than not doing the taxes. That interpretation certainly isn’t going to improve in the direction you want simply by mobshaming the tax preparer. Which is the left’s “tolerant” reaction. If you want to change the outlook, reason from the source of the belief. The Bible.

MLK didn’t mobshame people into compliance. He exposed the hateful intolerance of people because of immutable characteristics. The people claiming this event is an example of THAT kind of bigotry should compare the tax preparer’s behavior to the behavior of real ass bigots from pre-60s.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One of the bases for the constitutionality of the Civil Rights Act applying to private businesses was the lack of alternatives for African-Americans in many places. Whether you believe that is an adequate basis or not, can we say that there is a lack of alternatives for tax preparers? Bakeries? Florists? It seems to me that the emphasis is not on making sure that needed services are available (they are), it’s on forced compliance with the accepted viewpoint.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    One of the bases for the constitutionality of the Civil Rights Act applying to private businesses was the lack of alternatives for African-Americans in many places. Whether you believe that is an adequate basis or not, can we say that there is a lack of alternatives for tax preparers? Bakeries? Florists? It seems to me that the emphasis is not on making sure that needed services are available (they are), it’s on forced compliance with the accepted viewpoint.

Bingo!

It wouldn't even be an issue if people hadn't decided that marriage needed to be part of the tax law.

Government is a sword that cuts both ways. People wanted tax relief for being married, the natural result is that we have marriage laws. If people don't want government in their life, they shouldn't invite it in.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I see the Libertarian Party platform of enslaving others (forced to serve another against your will) if it is for certain protected classes, is still popular.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    MLK didn’t mobshame people into compliance. He exposed the hateful intolerance of people because of immutable characteristics. The people claiming this event is an example of THAT kind of bigotry should compare the tax preparer’s behavior to the behavior of real ass bigots from pre-60s.

But, would he if he had the tools? :dunno:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No, I don't think so. I think he would be just as appalled by it as we are, perhaps for different reasons. I suspect he placed too great a faith in our better angels, that he wanted true converts to the idea of the humanity of all men; not a forced, grudging acquiescence to mouth the words to Kumbaya

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No, I don't think so. I think he would be just as appalled by it as we are, perhaps for different reasons. I suspect he placed too great a faith in our better angels, that he wanted true converts to the idea of the humanity of all men; not a forced, grudging acquiescence to mouth the words to Kumbaya

But wasn't "passive resistance" a force? Wasn't a lunch room counter sit-in, a way of saying, "You're going to accept this!"

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No, I think it was a way of plumbing the depths of a fellow man's humanity. More "Are you going to be willing to bust heads and jail people whose only crime is to wish to be treated as human". Kind of "I'm fearful but determined to take it. How far are you willing to go?"

Top Bottom