• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    You have read the rest of the thread and then posted your dismay? Ok.
    Not dismay, surprise. The original Star Wars movie, as one example, had to figure out how to make explosions in space look real. As stated by G. Lucas, in space explosion travel in every direction. It's difficult to mimic that. Yet they did. Godzilla didn't really stomp on Tokyo, but it sure looked like it. Movie magic is fun. It makes movies, movies. I can't believe the industry would still have such risks involved in gun play. I'm not sure how you translated my post into "dismay". But, ok.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I make a lot of dummy rounds to check feeding and chambering. No powder and I just leave the primer out. They are quite useful.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    So how would your idea work if an actor has a hand full of rounds and drops them on the table without the holes and orange paint showing?

You have read the rest of the thread and then posted your dismay? Ok.
    Fingernail polish is all the way around but even without it examining the round long enough to look for the hole would be simple even for a moron. Baldwin was the last person to handle the gun and it was also his responsibility to make sure the ammo was kosher. He pointed the gun at a human being and pulled the trigger and someone died. Lots of blame to go around but IMHO he's guilty of, at the very least involuntary manslaughter as well as being a poor excuse for a human being.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I strongly dislike Baldwin's personality and politics. I don't believe he meant to kill anyone. The drunk driver doesn't intend to kill anyone either. Just the same, both can/do/did cause death from negligence. I'd suffer emotionally if I accidentally killed someone, movie set or otherwise. Baldwin's public address of the event proves him to be calloused. "Somebody is guilty but it's not me." That's not a defense and it sure as hell isn't contrition.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I find it interesting they were able to make four John Wick movies, involving dozens of firearms and thousands of shoot them up scenes with no harmful incidents.

If Baldwin is unable to produce a film with a budget for utmost safety, he should probably give up the industry.
    The star of John Wick took the time to become extremely knowledgeable and conscientious about firearms and their safe handling

Keanu would not have pointed a firearm at a production member whether or not he was told it was 'safe' to do so

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    The star of John Wick took the time to become extremely knowledgeable and conscientious about firearms and their safe handling

Keanu would not have pointed a firearm at a production member whether or not he was told it was 'safe' to do so
    Well, that was kind of the point I was getting at.

I envy Reeves for all the top notch training he was handsomely paid to get. if only I could afford to do that. It would cost any of us an arm and a leg for that same training. It also also wasn’t his first rodeo so to speak, being in so many action films.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    Interesting. DA's had decided not to prosecute Baldwin, but then two special prosecutors brought the matter before a Grand Jury, which decided to indict him for involuntary manslaughter. I suspect there is a lot more to this story than what we are hearing. This incident is one of many that highlight our two-tier judicial system. Very sad.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    With movie magic, as it is called, I cannot believe there isn't a system that offers realism and absolute safety at the same time. The concept of movie making is to make the unbelievable believable even though it's not real. Weird there is still this much risk associated with gun play when making a movie/scene.
    I believe the reason real guns are still used in movies is to have maximum realism as cheap as possible. A "Hero" prop (a prop used center stage on camera where every detail is seen vs. an extra in the background) needs to look and function like the real deal. It's cheaper to rent a real gun for a few hundred bucks (depending on the platform) than to pay model makers, painters, artists, etc. to make an inert replica that weighs and feels the same, and has all the correct moving parts.

Things like muzzle flashes, bullets flying, etc. are often now simulated with compositing software using methods such as camera tracking and matte painting. However things such as recoil impulse, slides and bolts moving, and shells ejecting are somewhat harder to simulate with these methods.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    View attachment 326903

Well. Baldwin is infamous for his narcissistic angry outbursts. The former should get him on the stand and the latter should expose him as being ****ing crazy. If he doesn't get a sweet plea deal.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I believe the reason real guns are still used in movies is to have maximum realism as cheap as possible. A "Hero" prop (a prop used center stage on camera where every detail is seen vs. an extra in the background) needs to look and function like the real deal. It's cheaper to rent a real gun for a few hundred bucks (depending on the platform) than to pay model makers, painters, artists, etc. to make an inert replica that weighs and feels the same, and has all the correct moving parts.

Things like muzzle flashes, bullets flying, etc. are often now simulated with compositing software using methods such as camera tracking and matte painting. However things such as recoil impulse, slides and bolts moving, and shells ejecting are somewhat harder to simulate with these methods.
    I would think as much money as Hollywierd has, the prop companies could afford a lower cost replica gun fitted with dummy rounds and have the cylinder welded so it could never actually fire. Then use computer generated effects to give the appearance of being fired. That would allow the details to look correct while being completely safe to be pointed in the general direction of a camera/camera operator. The only time I could see that presenting an issue would be when they want to see the cylinder rotate when being cocked. Why couldn't a gun be made unable to fire by having the firing pin shortened so it could never be able to actually contact a primer?
    Seems like a simple way to add another layer of safety

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Ah-ha, then he is sweating it. Don’t know how I feel about this whole thing. Shouldn’t have been any live ammo anywhere near that set. If anyone was aware of live ammo then that person should also be culpable. JMO

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Ah-ha, then he is sweating it. Don’t know how I feel about this whole thing. Shouldn’t have been any live ammo anywhere near that set. If anyone was aware of live ammo then that person should also be culpable. JMO
    I listened to parts of the armorer’s trial. There was plenty of stupid to go around on that set. Seems like everyone knew it the set wasn't safe and the armorer and others were not up to the task, but no one did anything.

From a safety investigation point of view, there were a lot of holes obviously lining up in the cheese. The armorer was responsible for some of it, but she wasn't solely responsible. It appears to me that the pursuit of criminal responsibility did not go far enough. It also appears the initial police investigators were not up to their task either.

The live ammo should not have been there, but that was not the sole reason someone got shot. There were procedures not followed that would have discovered the ammo if they had been used. It’s like the four (or three, whatever) rules: you have to follow all of them, they back each other up. If you just decide to follow one rule, and it fails, you’re going to get hurt.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom