• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Would really like to see that happen, then the matter could be adjudicated in a court of law.

Personally I can not stand the *** Hat but regardless I think he should have his day in court. And let the evidence be heard.
    I agree.
    Innocent until proven guilty, and all that.

Still, I would pay to witness his perp walk into prison.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I just finished up another film set firearm safety class. As always there was a fair amount of discussion of this incident. New info from my last class is that the original report was over 500 pages and just went around in circles with no conclusions. There is a new prosecutor and they are starting over from scratch. There are 14 people identified as witnessing the shooting and between them they name 3 different people as to who handed Baldwin the gun.
    Early in her questioning the Armor was asked if she had read "Safety Bulletin number 1" which is 4 pages outlining rules for handling guns on a film set. Her reply was that she never heard of it. I have hard copies of it but it shouldn't take much web searching to find it on line. Look up #2 also. Her trial was recently postponed and is set to start within a couple of months as there are lots of civil suits lined up and waiting.

Previously there was no formal safety training for DGA, or actors. DGA signed a new contract a couple of months ago, that and the new actors contract when they get that figured out will have language mandating formal training for both groups.

Safety Bulletin 1 is being revised and updated and I am sure will be much longer than its current 4 pages but the prescribed procedures will be pretty much the same as they have for a quite a few years.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Grand juries are lead around by the nose by prosecutors. If the prosecutor just wants to cover his tracks, he'll lead them to a no bill. If he really wants to prosecute the case, he'll lead them to a true bill.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    As she was the one at the center of this and most responsible I find it odd that they would offer a deal to rat on someone else. Maybe to implicate herself to tidy up the case?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    The person most responsible is the one that pulled the trigger.
    People in the film industry would push it upstream from her to the people who hired someone with no credentials to handle guns on set as responsible but put most of the blame on her for not following the rules that she was responsible for herself and those downstream of her.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Isn't the armorer's job to prevent exactly what occurred on this movie set? I don't see how the armorer can escape culpability in this event. Yes, the guy that pulled the trigger should also be liable, but his defense of "I hired an armorer to avoid this" isn't without merit. Personally, if I were Baldwin, I would struggle to sleep or look in the mirror. What a horribly sad event, and preventable.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Isn't the armorer's job to prevent exactly what occurred on this movie set? I don't see how the armorer can escape culpability in this event. Yes, the guy that pulled the trigger should also be liable, but his defense of "I hired an armorer to avoid this" isn't without merit. Personally, if I were Baldwin, I would struggle to sleep or look in the mirror. What a horribly sad event, and preventable.
    This article spells out what should happen on a set pretty well.
    This was his take on what happened.
    There is no cut-and-dry answer. In this particular scenario, there appears to have been a series of major safety violations and protocol breaches all leading up to the moment when that gun was placed in Baldwin's hand.

An affidavit said Baldwin was pointing the gun at a camera while rehearsing, and that's when it went off. Hutchins and Joel Souza, who was injured, were checking a camera angle at the time.

While we want to believe Baldwin knew better than to point a gun in the direction of someone, there's no evidence he was ever taught otherwise.

We also know he was handed a gun by the assistant director, not the on-set armorer, which violates basic safety protocols on set. Baldwin was informed it was a "cold gun," but it wasn't.

Clearly, there was a serious lapse in safety checks. Otherwise, the armorer and assistant director would have known this wasn't the case.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    This article spells out what should happen on a set pretty well.
    This was his take on what happened.
    That article was from 2021 and my post #482 in this thread addressed points he made that have been changed. There is a fine line about opening up your mouth and being blackballed and glossing over things that would anger people who might hire you. Ive said this before but I guess I have to say it again. Baldwin has made at least a dozen big budget movies with lots of gun play. There is no way he went through them without working with armours during pre production to practice gun handling so as to have it look realistic on set. He also probably had some say on which gun would be used when presented with a few chosen by the propmaster or armour in previous productions. In the big budget movies he was forced to follow the proper rules which included the rounds being presented to him by someone in the chain of custody and not the assistant director and proven to be dummys or told what size blank load they had. In the scene they were doing it would have been a dummy round. If one went through the production reports of his previous movies this ALL would have all been documented. The guy in that article was discussing things on very low budget movies but Baldwin has many big budget movies in his past.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    While you might save a little money putting live ammo in a revolver for a frontal view from the camera as opposed to having someone make up dummies with bullets in them, it just seems a crazy gamble for little saved.

I've always figured you had bored people on that set shooting live ammo when not working.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    While you might save a little money putting live ammo in a revolver for a frontal view from the camera as opposed to having someone make up dummies with bullets in them, it just seems a crazy gamble for little saved.

I've always figured you had bored people on that set shooting live ammo when not working.
    They have dummies for that.
    They put a BB in it. So when you shake it, you can hear that there's no powder.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    They have dummies for that.
    They put a BB in it. So when you shake it, you can hear that there's no powder.
    So now they are sometimes using plastic pellets instead of BB's. In the case of a scene like Baldwin did, when drawing from the holster and leveling the gun the sound guys griped about the sound of the BB's moving around so now sometimes the plastic which is quieter. You need to be more careful when shaking them to feel them bouncing around when shaking them as compared to the louder BB's

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I guess my ideas are outdated but my "dummy" rounds have a spent primer, a hole drilled in the side of the case and orange fingernail polish to denote a dummy. Obviously those million dollar movie guys are much more intelligent than I am. Their system sounds much more efficient and safe.

Attachments

• dummy.jpg
      dummy.jpg
      344.7 KB · Views: 6
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    With movie magic, as it is called, I cannot believe there isn't a system that offers realism and absolute safety at the same time. The concept of movie making is to make the unbelievable believable even though it's not real. Weird there is still this much risk associated with gun play when making a movie/scene.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I guess my ideas are outdated but my "dummy" rounds have a spent primer, a hole drilled in the side of the case and orange fingernail polish to denote a dummy. Obviously those million dollar movie guys are much more intelligent than I am. Their system sounds much more efficient and safe.
    So how would your idea work if an actor has a hand full of rounds and drops them on the table without the holes and orange paint showing?
    With movie magic, as it is called, I cannot believe there isn't a system that offers realism and absolute safety at the same time. The concept of movie making is to make the unbelievable believable even though it's not real. Weird there is still this much risk associated with gun play when making a movie/scene.
    You have read the rest of the thread and then posted your dismay? Ok.

Top Bottom