• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would anticipate something on the order of six months, maybe less if they are in a big hurry. It would still have to be introduced, assigned to committee, assigned to a subcommittee, pass the subcommittee, then pass the committee, then be scheduled for the full Senate, debated, voted on, and (assuming it passes) forwarded to the House and start the same process over again, then assuming it eventually passes, it will go to conference committee since it is a foregone conclusion that as it passes the House it will have had some amendments, then both House and Senate have to vote on the conference committee version of the bill, and assuming it passes, Obama will probably have speed limits broken getting to the thing to sign it. No, we are in no danger of seeing this happen in January.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Right after they ban cars because people drive them while intoxicated.
    And the country will have all have driven off the fiscal cliff in them.

I has to pass the house and senate, even if the senate runs one through, it doesn't necessarily pass the house, and it's gun control that made a tragedy on this scale possible in the first place. That can't happen until January at the soonest. At which point there might be an executive order or BAFTE invention, which will only be in effect until the first lawsuit is decided.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    My guess is within 3-4 months. I think that Obama will try to push this through the express lane while the notion of gun control is fresh in the public's mind. The longer he waits, the lower the support may be.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Could he put anything in place sooner with an executive order?

He could put something through, not sure exactly what or how strong, but what ever it is would be fought and he would play the victim and say that Repubs want children killed and Dems will introduce a bill to make the order law and the Repubs will compromise as always, all while the order waits months for the courts to settle it. Either way we loose and we are the bad guys.

Luke76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Is there a limit to the power of an executive order? Seems like too easy of a way around the politics if an order can just be issued to ban some firearms.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Don't be so sure Southern Dems or most Republicans will cave on this. The Republicans know that they will be replaced if they support anything involving gun control. The Dems risk losing the Senate in 2014 if Southerners revolt on a large scale (and they will).

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Buzz words and stats are meaningless now. If that is how you will address the ban, you will get it. The USA has went to hell, no family values, everyone for themselves and God who? The main cause of every murder is mental, address that.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I expect that Obama will do everything he can, which doesn't require legislation, first. While he is doing that he will introduce legislation which has already been drafted. A flood of bills will be introduced in the House and Senate at the same time. My guess is that we'll have laws, similar to California state laws, in short order. There will be lists of guns which will be banned and every remaining model will have to pass government scrutiny. Banned guns which are now owned will not be able to be legally sold or given away, nor will banned magazines. There will be no "sunset provision" to the law. Just these steps will astronomically affect gun prices. Background checks will be much lengthier. Gun manufacturers will go out of business.

Top Bottom