• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'd be down for a meet up very 6 months or so to do radio stuff. Discuss emergency comm, ham radio, programming, new tech, theory, etc etc.

Heck if enough if us are ham v.e.'s we could even do a test session to get more people licensed.

Would love to see this.

There was some noise a few years ago about getting a ham sub-forum, obviously it never happened. Any chance that can be revisited? It's be nice it there was a general place to get information and share things. Most of this stuff is scattered in the Survival & Disaster section. If we can get a sub-forum then it would be easier to get things organized and maybe set up some meetings, classes & a net.

Up next, the INGO VEC :rockwoot:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have 2x on the way also. :rockwoot:

Programming? Did someone say a programming party?
    Last thing I programmed was my thermostat and I failed. :(

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I had a hard time programming my last one from the NWI INGO group buy. I may hit you up if you have some free time.

Sounds good. I've never programmed one but have been looking at some you tube videos and other instructional videos/directions. Guess the computer is the easiest way to do it, but dont have a computer at home. If necessary can always do it at work.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Programming is easy with CHIRP. UNLESS... you bought a set of 888's. I found a massive bug with those. Chirp wont write to them properly. :xmad:

And the detailed bug report I submitted a couple months back has been dutifully ignored by the developers. :xmad:

And buy the "expensive" certified FTDI cable to program them. People trying to save $12 find out the hard way then end up wasting their money on the cheap cables, only to discover they dont work and have to throw them away.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Than I'd have to be a NERD!

Actually I first started researching this back in the mid-70s (when code was still required). Things have changed since then. And gotten more expensive. I'd have to divert $ from rifles and ammo!

huh? Amateur Radio has never been cheaper than now. It's amazing what you can get for a few hundred bucks compared to 1970

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Sounds good. I've never programmed one but have been looking at some you tube videos and other instructional videos/directions. Guess the computer is the easiest way to do it, but dont have a computer at home. If necessary can always do it at work.
    My issue last time was because I only had an Apple computer which is still the case. I’ll see if we can get another NWI INGO member to help us out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    yes...but at very short distances....and if in hilly terrain they are almost useless.

You want an awesome antenna and lots of power. (and what do you know? These cheap Chinese radios can deliver that!) Something you just cant find in blister pack radios. And it doesnt help that they are shady AF with the specs. No consumer radio advertises useful info any more. They all claim arbitrary distances, that in reality mean jack squat as they advertise distances, not power ratings. Go ahead. Check the spec sheets. Show me how many watts they are pushing. If it werent for the fact that radios are more than just output power, I'd say they were being deceptive in their advertising by failing to disclose power outputs.

Edit: Its like serving sizes. No way in hell that tube of Pringles is 6 servings. Its really 1, MAYBE 2. :):

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My issue last time was because I only had an Apple computer which is still the case. I’ll see if we can get another NWI INGO member to help us out.

Sounds great. This will be first venture into this tech. Ive had cbs and plain ole 2 way radios, but nothing like this.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Now that I think about it....
    Is switching out crystals on old tube CB radios considered programming?

If so I'm a wiz. :):

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Programing with Chirp is pretty easy, assuming you have the correct cable. The file sizes are also pretty small, it wouldn't be difficult to email them. If anyone is having problems feel free to ask and I'm sure we can help get it programed.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I didn't get into the radio stuff until after the nwi group buy, but it did help peak my interest. IIRC there was some good info about programming the ptt button to a public frequency as to not inadvertently end up on the air where you shouldn't be.

We should ping those guys to get in on the conversation.

I have a cable, but everyone is going to have a very regional list of channels based on where they live.

I'm planning on building an antenna to get better range at home. I bought an extended antenna from Amazon, but the stock one got better reception.

The Tech license was not hard to get. I think the regs are the biggest part and the rest is mostly common sense. Most tests run around $15. I'm really cheap, so I took all three at once.:):

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :popcorn:
    Not sure you are really saving much with a group buy.
    the last one we did i think we saved just $5 over buying them alone. only benefit then was everyone in the group had the same gear.

Top Bottom