• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dilligaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Just south of Heaven
    I'm looking to get my first bolt action rifle. I'm not sure about what barrel type is the best to get. Heavy/medium heavy/ taper/ medium taper fluted.
    This is goint to be a "general purpose rifle". Not a long range rifle or a sniper rifle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm looking to get my first bolt action rifle. I'm not sure about what barrel type is the best to get. Heavy/medium heavy/ taper/ medium taper fluted.
    This is goint to be a "general purpose rifle". Not a long range rifle or a sniper rifle.

If its not a long range, or fast shooting Id probably go light and short.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF you're going to do a lot of "shot after shot after shot" I'd go heavy barrel.
    IF just hunting or very casual I'd go to a standard or short barrel out to say 350 yds.
    I've got a Winchester 70 pencil barrel lightweight in .243 that's dead on out to 600+ yds but after 4 shots it starts to drift from heating the barrel. IF I take my time between shots and keep the barrel cool it stays right on target.
    Make sure you know exactly what you'll be using it for and how you want to use it and then make your decision only after you're sure of it's use.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have run standard 22" factory sporter bbls on my last three Remington 700 .243's as "walking varmint rifles". With handloads the first two were at or under .5 MOA (haven't experimented with the 3rd yet).

Liked a heavy bbl for taking a stand over a field when chucking, but the days of chucking like that are pretty much gone 'round these parts.

Yoting? Sporter weight.

isaiah.hall79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Muncie
    When u get a 140 dollar nagant with a cheap scope and sight it in u still spent less then any 308 or 30-06 bolt action Because almost no gun is accurate out of the box.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Because almost no gun is accurate out of the box.

Please educate me on this. Mosins are 3ish moa rifles out of the box. savage rifles are 1moa out of the box. I guess I just fail to see your logic. How is spending less a good thing If it cant hit what you aim at? Seems to me if you had a set goal and you bought sub par equipmebt then it will cost you money and time. After you sell everything at a loss and buy what you should have to begin with your money ahead to do it right once.

Mosins are great for fireballs, and cheap loud booms. Thats about it

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Please educate me on this. Mosins are 3ish moa rifles out of the box. savage rifles are 1moa out of the box. I guess I just fail to see your logic. How is spending less a good thing If it cant hit what you aim at? Seems to me if you had a set goal and you bought sub par equipmebt then it will cost you money and time. After you sell everything at a loss and buy what you should have to begin with your money ahead to do it right once.

Mosins are great for fireballs, and cheap loud booms. Thats about it

Although I love shooting my Mosin, I have to agree with 42769vette here.

I got a Remginton 700 SPS in .308 and it can easily outshoot me (out of the box with a basic sight thrown on). My Mosin, after many many rounds, shoots 2-2.5 MOA on a good day with sand bags.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Although I love shooting my Mosin, I have to agree with 42769vette here.

I got a Remginton 700 SPS in .308 and it can easily outshoot me (out of the box with a basic sight thrown on). My Mosin, after many many rounds, shoots 2-2.5 MOA on a good day with sand bags.

Exactly, dont get me wrong Im not saying a mosin is not a fun rifle, but accuracy is not their cup of tea. Cheap fun is their cup of tea.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Agreee with Vette. Not sure why people always have to turn a bolt action rifle thread into a "Why duntcha jus buy a Mosin and cheap skope" thread. Mosin's are a great rifle for what they are. Cheap, and minute of man accurate. But if you want precision, you are looking in the wrong place. A Savage, Remington 700, Winchester 70, Ruger M77, Browning, Thompson, etc....... are going to shoot circles around the WWII surplus guns, and suggesting a cheap scope is just asking for trouble. Especially in some of the sketchy Mosin mounts out there.

My suggestion would be a Remington SPS Tactical. Short heavy barrel, and deadly accurate. Very handy rilfe, grippy stock, decent trigger, and unlimited aftermarket support. Spend just a little more, and you'll get the AAC version with the threaded 1/10 twist barrel.

isaiah.hall79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Muncie
    How much does a Remington sps tactical cost with extra features.... I am curious what caliber it is also
    My whole thing is I have bills and a 3 inch spread will kill a man just as well as a 1 inch spread

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    How much does a Remington sps tactical cost with extra features.... I am curious what caliber it is also
    My whole thing is I have bills and a 3 inch spread will kill a man just as well as a 1 inch spread

Keep in mind a 3 inch spread at 100 yards is a 9 inch spread at 300 yards. If your wanting a gun that can kill a man at 100 yards, get a mosin. If your wanting a accurate rifle get somthing else.

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013

Last gun I got was a Remington 700 SPS (I preferred it over SPS Tactical).

The price was as follows (tried to keep within my bday + Christmas money for this particular gun):

Remington 700 SPS .308 (24" barrel) - $545
    UTG Tactical Bipod - $27
    BSA Platinum 8-32x44mm mil-dot scope - $131
    BSA Assault Aluminum Rings - $28
    Weaver multi-slot base - $18
    Kydex Adjustable Cheek Rest - $46

Total price - $795
    If higher grade glass, pod, etc are used, it is easy to quickly exceed $1k with a basic 700 setup. This performs well out to 400m (longest shot so far) with crystal clear sight picture, so no complaints from me. I am able to hold a 1 MOA consistently, although I imagine the rifle can do better than what I'm limiting it to now with my lack of skill. The SPS Tactical was about $150 more than the base 700 SPS when I was looking at mine 1.5 years ago.
    --------------------------------------------------

As for the OP - any barrel type will be fine for a bolt action that isn't a "sniper rifle". If you are using it for CQB, it is the wrong type of gun for that. So, for medium engagements 50-300 yards, any barrel will suffice. The question is rate of fire (fairly slow since it is a bolt) and how much you want it to weigh.

-Rhino12

Top Bottom