• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davidc912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    South of Indy
    I think the answer depends heavily upon what 'general purpose' means to you. I have a handful of bolt guns in varying calibers and profiles. They are all very different in terms of weight and performance.

Bull barrels are great. I love mine... and the ridiculous accuracy and recoil mitigation are nice, but carrying a 13 pound rifle for a couple of miles is a very specific type of punishment, especially in the snow.

At the same time, I shot a super light, beautiful .338 Win Mag that was a dream to carry, exactly 2 times. The second shot felt like I had just been hit with a mallet.

Do you have a specific caliber in mind... and what are you going to/want to be doing with it?

dilligaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Just south of Heaven
    I guess it want it primarily for if I ever get the time to get back into hunting whitetail. I'm leaning towards a Browning X bolt Stainless Stalker Carbon Fiber fluted barrel. I'm wanting a .308 or 30-06.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    How much does a Remington sps tactical cost with extra features.... I am curious what caliber it is also
    My whole thing is I have bills and a 3 inch spread will kill a man just as well as a 1 inch spread

When I bought my SPS Tactical, it was right around $600. When I bought the AAC version, it was around $75 more if I remember correcty. The Tactical comes in 308 (9" twist) & 223 (12" twist), both have 20" barrel. The AAC version is only in 308 with a 10" twist. I tend to shoot a lot of 168 gr Sierra Match King, and the AAC 10" absolutely loves it. Both models come with a Hogue stock, pillar bedded version. SPS is black, AAC is ghille pattern.

For me, bolt actions are for squeezing as much accuracy out of the gun as possible. If your happy with a 3" spread at 100 yards, about any rifle is going to do. But if you want the most out of your bullet, you need a quality bolt, non WWII mil-surp rilfle.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The Mosin is a decent hammer, but when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail....and every problem ain't a nail.

Top Bottom