• ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I know it's been a long time since I wore a uniform, but I seem to remember that the President (even one who did not deserve the office) was not required to return a salute from someone in uniform. In fact, as I recall, it was improper for him (or her) to return a salute. He may be Commander in Chief, but he is not in the military. Don't misunderstand, I am not defending him, just stating a fact.

Welcome to INGO. Thanks for your service.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    And all the outrage might have some credibility if it wasn't so selective.

I don't see any particular selective outrage, other than the, apparent, fact that none of the Republican Presidents in recent memory showed anything but respect for the military, and, all of them having been military veterans of one sort or another, knew or were interested in knowing the protocol of receiving and returning salutes from members of the military. The two most recent Democrat Presidents did NOT serve in the military, and have been particularly hostile to the military establishment. While the President is not required to return a military courtesy, the current President's attitude toward the American people - at least toward those who didn't vote for him - is a sore spot for those who have served. It's the current President's behavior which sparks such resentment, not his ethnicity nor his political views.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't see any particular selective outrage, other than the, apparent, fact that none of the Republican Presidents in recent memory showed anything but respect for the military, and, all of them having been military veterans of one sort or another, knew or were interested in knowing the protocol of receiving and returning salutes from members of the military. The two most recent Democrat Presidents did NOT serve in the military, and have been particularly hostile to the military establishment. While the President is not required to return a military courtesy, the current President's attitude toward the American people - at least toward those who didn't vote for him - is a sore spot for those who have served. It's the current President's behavior which sparks such resentment, not his ethnicity nor his political views.

Who brought up ethnicity? Do all Viet Nam vets consider those who joined the guard to avoid the draft as veterans? I don't and my own father was one of them.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I know I can count on you to call out the next republican president on his wrong thing.
    Obama is a disgrace but the Republicans haven't put up anything I would vote for either.
    I didn't vote against Obama last time but I wish I had in hindsight. I sure as hell didn't vote for that Pospotus or however you spell it.
    Obama shouldn't be defended. He should be investigated, tried, and let the TRUTH fall as it should.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Obama is a disgrace but the Republicans haven't put up anything I would vote for either.
    I didn't vote against Obama last time but I wish I had in hindsight. I sure as hell didn't vote for that Pospotus or however you spell it.
    Obama shouldn't be defended. He should be investigated, tried, and let the TRUTH fall as it should.

Every last one of them in Washington should be investigated, tried, and let the TRUTH fall as it should. But since only a fraction are ever significantly perturbed at any one candidate at any given moment due to party loyalty, they all skate by.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I was just curious. I was under the impression that any opposition to something equated to hatred. At least that's what I've learned from you. Am I wrong? :dunno:

Again you willfully ignore the overt calls for genocide here. As if it's all some figment of my imagination.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Again you willfully ignore the overt calls for genocide here. As if it's all some figment of my imagination.

I wasn't aware you made any sort of distinction between genocide and ideological opposition. I seem to recall your accusation that any opposition to third world immigration equated to a wish for a Hitler-like-blue-eyed utopia.

Am I wrong? Or is it possible to have principled ideological arguments without being accused of being a Nazi?

I'm confused because you don't seem to make any distinction with people you disagree with. Would you care to elaborate?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I wasn't aware you made any sort of distinction between genocide and ideological opposition. I seem to recall your accusation that any opposition to third world immigration equated to a wish for a Hitler-like-blue-eyed utopia.

Am I wrong? Or is it possible to have principled ideological arguments without being accused of being a Nazi?

I'm confused because you don't seem to make any distinction with people you disagree with. Would you care to elaborate?
    Does any culture that is not yours equal hatred to yours? If multiculturism is bad, what is good?

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Does any culture that is not yours equal hatred to yours? If multiculturism is bad, what is good?

Just because I love my own children more than my neighbor's children, doesn't mean I hate my neighbor's children, which is a point that you seem incapable of understanding.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just because I love my own children more than my neighbor's children, doesn't mean I hate my neighbor's children, which is a point that you seem incapable of understanding.

Just because one person commits a crime, doesn't mean I should hate all people who happen to share the same religion, which is a point that you seem incapable of understanding.

ETA: you can stay up all night if you want. Night sweetheart.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    First of all, I am a MARINE, it is written, somewhere, Marines, do NOT hold umbrellas, (unless that has changed), we get wet !!!!! I am going to tell a story, that was told to me as a fact. It involves, Chesty Puller. Chesty was walking, and came upon, a junior enlisted Marine, saluting a 2nd Lt., the Lt., was NOT returning the salute. Chesty asked what is going on? The Lt., said this Marine failed to Salute me, so I am making him salute me 100 times, so as to teach him a lesson. Chesty replied, isn't an Officer, supposed to return, every Salute? Chesty stood there and made the Lt., return 100 Salutes.

While I was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, in 1978, I had Army officers, run and hide, from me and my Marines, because they knew we would salute them, and they did not want to salute us, back..... True Story .....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    First of all, I am a MARINE, it is written, somewhere, Marines, do NOT hold umbrellas, (unless that has changed), we get wet !!!!! I am going to tell a story, that was told to me as a fact. It involves, Chesty Puller. Chesty was walking, and came upon, a junior enlisted Marine, saluting a 2nd Lt., the Lt., was NOT returning the salute. Chesty asked what is going on? The Lt., said this Marine failed to Salute me, so I am making him salute me 100 times, so as to teach him a lesson. Chesty replied, isn't an Officer, supposed to return, every Salute? Chesty stood there and made the Lt., return 100 Salutes.

While I was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, in 1978, I had Army officers, run and hide, from me and my Marines, because they knew we would salute them, and they did not want to salute us, back..... True Story .....

True, but I think the intent is for themselves.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Just because one person commits a crime, doesn't mean I should hate all people who happen to share the same religion, which is a point that you seem incapable of understanding.

ETA: you can stay up all night if you want. Night sweetheart.

You must have me confused with one of your straw men. I don't hate "all people who happen to share a religion".

Night sweetheart. Kiss the straw man for me.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Most of what you said is true, except for the last. We have frequently seen Presidents return the salutes of servicemembers, although I'm certain they do not always do so.

It could be a cultural thing since i've seen Army salute without a cover but in the Marines we are not suppose to salute without a cover. I understand that presidents in the past have done it, that does not mean they were correct in doing so.

I am surprised at how many Obama apologists are on this forum.

I'm explaining my culture for those who don't know, but i can understand your confusion.

Top Bottom