• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Think twice about bartering something that can be returned to you from 100 yards away. Bartering ammo that might be shot back isn't good.

My place is the assembly point for my family. It's 30 miles though so it could take them a few days to get here. Wood stove. Neighbor has a backhoe to dig an outhouse pit if it worked after EMP. Might be able to trade for a horse from an Amish neighbor. Lake to auger through for water. Some of hand tools for timber cutting.

Might barter some fishing gear away.

If you're a little handy with tools you might make a bunch of those Coke can alcohol stoves and some plastic bottles w/alcohol as barter material. If you run across some of those waterproof match boxes on sale then fill them with strike anywhere matches for barter.

What you know and can build might be things most sheeple haven't even thought about.

I picked up a dozen backpacks from Sportsmans Guide on a sale. They are daypack size not much bigger than a kids book bag. Gave some to the family for BOB's at Christmas and still have four for barter.

When you are stocking your food supply watch for other things for barter. The old $2 axe in a garage sale etc.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I'm going to play more Fallout 3 now. :-) motorcycle hand brake, scrap metal, whiskey, tin can...

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    my plan for the first week is to find all the crap that I miss placed....I will have a very clean house by day 8. Day 9 its off to the pole barn and clean it up.

My 12 year old daughter will be overwatch with her powerful rim fire riflewith iron sniper sights

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Relying on a hoard of items for barter is flawed logic: you will run out.

Practically speaking, you will be bartering labor, services, and technical knowledge for items or services you require. My advice is to read up on important skills, and then practice them until your competent.

Working knowledge of horticulture, wood working, and technical repairs will buy you far more in the long run than a few cartons of smokes; harder for thieves to steal as well.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Practically speaking, you will be bartering labor, services, and technical knowledge for items or services you require. My advice is to read up on important skills, and then practice them until your competent.

Working knowledge of horticulture, wood working, and technical repairs will buy you far more in the long run than a few cartons of smokes; harder for thieves to steal as well.

Agreed, although having something set back to barter with isn't a bad idea. Just as long as you're only putting back a few things to get what you may need that you can't otherwise get with a "service".

And BTW, Canned tobacco lasts MUCH longer than cartons... I'm just sayin... :D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

While I agree that relying on these things is not a good plan, overlooking them could be your downfall as well. Can you imagine how much somebody may be willing to barter away for some real toilet paper or that handle of whiskey? Those things will become precious commodities in SHTF. And if the farmer down the road has plenty of wheat after harvest, he'll likely be willing to give you a whole lot of it if he really desires to have what you have.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bartering only works when 2 people are willing to trade goods or services for other goods or services. If 1 person is of a mindset to "take rather than trade", the system is severly flawed. I gotta believe that from day 7 forward of a SHTF, there will be more takin' than tradin'. At least until some folks can band together for mutual support and protection. Once small "communities" are formed, I can see the barter system being the main currency for quite a while. However, until that time arrives, bartering could be a risky, if not dangerous, proposition. I prefer to prep and be ready to hold my own for at least 30 days. Let the 1st wave of fear and lawlessness pass thru. After that, people will be more accepting of the fact that it's a whole new world and we better figure out the new rules if we want to survive.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Well I built my own house and I have been a electronics tech for the last 25 years so there are some skills to barter with, but having some items to trade is a good idea.

My family thinks I am a conspiracy theory nut, but if TSHTF they would be making a bee-line to my place fer sure. i would be tempted to say....Sorry no room at the inn, but in truth you gotta protect your extended family, unless it endangers my wife and kids!

How about a few cases of cigarettes, a pack will go for a mint in the first couple of weeks.

I agree, I wouldnt trade ammo that could then be used against me

Top Bottom