Bass Pro Shop parking lot trade gone bad....(for Kirk)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I hope Some of you guys never hurt yourself with a power tool or hammer, because we'll all call you idiots, ignorant, and stupid.

Doc, I'll start by saying I have actually witnessed Bass Pro greeters telling an OCer "your fine, just keep it in the holster ", so I'm guessing the guy was taking a firearm in to trade or sell. For the guy to only then realize it was loaded, and then proceed to unload it in the ENTRYWAY OF FRIKKEN BASS PRO, is idiotic, ignorant, and stupid.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Doc, I'll start by saying I have actually witnessed Bass Pro greeters telling an OCer "your fine, just keep it in the holster ", so I'm guessing the guy was taking a firearm in to trade or sell. For the guy to only then realize it was loaded, and then proceed to unload it in the ENTRYWAY OF FRIKKEN BASS PRO, is idiotic, ignorant, and stupid.
    If you'll click on the link and read the story you'll see it was "near the Bass Pro" out in the parking lot. Sounds like Bubba laid it on the tailgate or hood or something before he shot himself.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    I seen on Facebook where this happened late last year but the seller shot himself in the hand being a knucklehead.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I just never thought that the best way to keep myself safe from accidents, or lapses in judgement, would be to point my fingers and laugh.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If you'll click on the link and read the story you'll see it was "near the Bass Pro" out in the parking lot. Sounds like Bubba laid it on the tailgate or hood or something before he shot himself.
    That incident took place a while back, the incident today was INSIDE the entryway, before you go through the turnstiles. Go to the Fox41 link, the statement made by Bass Pro even states where it happened.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Good for you! If you don't see the problem with this incident, fine by me.

I do see the problem. If I just say the guy was an idiot and a moron, and that's why he shot his toe off, then I feel like I'm missing the point because in reality, even if I'm not an idiot or a moron, that doesn't mean that I don't have to think about safety all the time.

I'd rather think of the guy as being like myself, because when you're handling firearms, even a momentary lapse in judgement can have catastrophic consequences. I like to think I'm not an idiot or a moron, but at the same time, I realize that's not always enough for me to avoid being the butt of jokes on INGO.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    That incident took place a while back, the incident today was INSIDE the entryway, before you go through the turnstiles. Go to the Fox41 link, the statement made by Bass Pro even states where it happened.
    Ah. I see it now. Thanks.

I've also seen the "Bass Pro RSO" working their magic at the front door. My best guess is that person is there for no other reason than to satisfy insurance requirements and so "non-gun" outdoorsy shoppers feel safe because "someone is checking all the guns when they come in."

I wonder what their official policy is when encountering a loaded firearm? I've been to gun shows where standard practice is always "just unload it right here." Does Bass Pro need a clearing barrel?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I do see the problem. If I just say the guy was an idiot and a moron, and that's why he shot his toe off, then I feel like I'm missing the point because in reality, even if I'm not an idiot or a moron, that doesn't mean that I don't have to think about safety all the time.

I'd rather think of the guy as being like myself, because when you're handling firearms, even a momentary lapse in judgement can have catastrophic consequences. I like to think I'm not an idiot or a moron, but at the same time, I realize that's not always enough for me to avoid being the butt of jokes on INGO.
    I get what you're saying, I certainly try to give people the benefit of the doubt, I just can't identify with what this guy did because it's so far removed from how I personally would handle the situation. If I were taking a firearm somewhere to possibly sell or trade (I'm assuming that's what this guy was doing) I know I would inspect it to make sure it's unloaded BEFORE heading out, and if, IF I had a lapse in thought, and didn't inspect it, then found it to be loaded when I arrived at my destination, I'm damn sure not gonna stand in the store, or in front of the store, and attempt to unload! Very dangerous and unnecessary situation, and that's not even taking into account the guy had his booger hook on the bang switch!

I understand where you and doc are coming from, I really do, i just don't think I can muster much sympathy for this particular guy.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Ah. I see it now. Thanks.

I've also seen the "Bass Pro RSO" working their magic at the front door. My best guess is that person is there for no other reason than to satisfy insurance requirements and so "non-gun" outdoorsy shoppers feel safe because "someone is checking all the guns when they come in."

I wonder what their official policy is when encountering a loaded firearm? I've been to gun shows where standard practice is always "just unload it right here." Does Bass Pro need a clearing barrel?

It's been a month or so since I've been in there, but I'm thinking there is/was a sign by the turnstiles stating legally carried firearms were good to go, but firearms being taken to the gun counter to sell or trade had to have a trigger lock. I'm almost positive it was BP that I saw that, but I could be wrong.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just love us gun guys, so eager to eat our own when something goes wrong. I think we need to think about all pulling In the same direction a little more. We don't know the exact circumstances, but I'm a little weary of the "that'll NEVER happen to me!" (because I'm such a great, conscientious, safety-minded gun expert) posts.

sweendogie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    I just love us gun guys, so eager to eat our own when something goes wrong. I think we need to think about all pulling In the same direction a little more. We don't know the exact circumstances, but I'm a little weary of the "that'll NEVER happen to me!" (because I'm such a great, conscientious, safety-minded gun expert) posts.
    True. I bet that guy thought the same thing. You never know.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I visited the new Cabela's in Noblesville with my wife the weekend before last, and I was carrying my S&W in its IWB holster when I went inside.
    There were some signs about firearm check-in, so deciding to just be sure, I went to the guy in charge of that and asked if I had to check mine in.
    He just looked at me and asked if I intended to take it out of its holster, and I said "no,sir," and he said I was fine just as I was and to go ahead and shop to my heart's content.
    btw...it was really nice seeing a store with such an extensive reloading section.

mistersmith

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    NWI
    I guess I will be one of the first to offer him a quick and speedy recovery. I hate to hear about things like this, and to a large part I feel public ridicule is a bit ridiculous. We have all done some really stupid things in our lives, and sometimes I wonder why and how I survived them, maybe that is why I don't pile on an unfortunate soul. It is ok to say his actions were stupid, and that he should of followed the four rules, but the rest is a little high school-ish. Just my two cents.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I guess I will be one of the first to offer him a quick and speedy recovery. I hate to hear about things like this, and to a large part I feel public ridicule is a bit ridiculous. We have all done some really stupid things in our lives, and sometimes I wonder why and how I survived them, maybe that is why I don't pile on an unfortunate soul. It is ok to say his actions were stupid, and that he should of followed the four rules, but the rest is a little high school-ish. Just my two cents.

As well......mistakes happen, luckly, this time.....nobody but the mistake-EE hurt...

far's the other.....you'a find LOT'a 'at in here cuzz.......well, cuzz they all PERfect..... :rolleyes:

I've never dis-arm'd go'n in'ere.....

Top Bottom