• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Ever have one of those online interactions that feels just a little off? You know, the kind that triggers the little voice in the back of your head that whispers "Something's not right about this." I had one of those interactions yesterday and thought it worth sharing after letting it sink in overnight.

I currently have a handgun listed for sale or trade in the classifieds section. It's a desirable 1911 and fairly priced, or so I think. In the ad, I state that I now live in Kentucky and any out of state sales will have to go through an FFL dealer. So I receive a quick PM about this pistol that begins with "I want to buy your pistol." No additional questions, haggling over price, nothing. The guy wants to meet today (Sunday) and do the exchange. I say no because all the gun shops are closed. we go back and forth for a few messages but I'm firm on not selling out of state without going through a dealer. That's a pretty big deal, as I understand it and not a crime I'm interested in being charged with. He finally offers best wishes with my sale and that's that.

While I can completely envision this being a legitimate contact, it still felt weird for a number of different reasons. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid but that nagging feeling of entrapment just won't subside, hence this post. How about it? Has anyone else ran into anything like this on INGO or any of the other gun forums? I like to think the BATF has better things to do than trying to catch Bubba selling a pistol to Cletus on the other side of a river, but...

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you think the BATFE are not closely monitoring our Classifieds and tracking our more prolific sellers, then you're delusional. That said, I'm much more inclined to believe that a disallowed person is attempting to purchase a firearm than I am to believe that the BATFE are trying to sting people.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I would not be surprised by this type of activity in the least. Good for you for listening to your gut and being knowledgeable about interstate firearm laws. Ignorance of the law can lead to big trouble.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    BATFE among others are watching all of these threads.

And all of the theads like: "Ever shot a hole in your house?", "Where should I shoot someone?", and many other embarrsing gems are in their files of who is who and the stupid **** they say and do.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Follow the law and you really don't have to worry about a sting. You did the right thing.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, follow your gut. If it does not feel right, don't deal. "Sorry, thanks for the offer. I'm holding on to this."

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The way you describe it is pretty close to textbook entrapment if it is the BATF. This leads me to believe that it's either an anxious buyer or some one who may nor pass the background check....but that's speculation.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They pull the same ****e at gun shows. The trolls walk up to someone walking around with firearms. They will just say "Will you sell me your gun". And will respond with the same phrase until you try to ascertain if they live inside the state and are a "proper person". crap if you ask me. The trolls need something better to do.

I mean, the law is the law and I will follow it to a T, but they don't need to be pushy idiots and try and entrap people making a momentary brain fart. Good grief.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I once listed a rifle for sale in the classifieds. It was an AK variant that is no longer in production. I had someone saying they were from New York contact me asking me to ship the rifle to him. Not only that but he seemed way to eager to buy it. He sent several PMs and even told me he was a cop with the NYPD. Not only was the rifle I was selling not NY compliant but he kept saying that since he was a cop we didn't have to go through an FFL. I finally just pulled the listing and told him I sold it locally and added him to my ignore list. To this day he is the only person on my list.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I would be saddened if an INGO member attempted to persuade you to sell without going through an ffl :(

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I once listed a rifle for sale in the classifieds. It was an AK variant that is no longer in production. I had someone saying they were from New York contact me asking me to ship the rifle to him. Not only that but he seemed way to eager to buy it. He sent several PMs and even told me he was a cop with the NYPD. Not only was the rifle I was selling not NY compliant but he kept saying that since he was a cop we didn't have to go through an FFL. I finally just pulled the listing and told him I sold it locally and added him to my ignore list. To this day he is the only person on my list.
    Probably a safe move on your part.

Top Bottom