• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A neighbor bought one at Lowes and I noticed it takes him 2 days to mow.
    I had the electric weed eater and couldn't get done on one change. And after winter the batteries wouldn't work. Personally, I'm sticking with gas.

I've got a battery weedeater and its batteries match my drill. I have a large yard at the new house (had even more to trim in fenceline and used it for edging on the old house corner lot, etc) with no issues, but then I have more than one battery. Lithium Ion batteries are better than the old Nicad and as far as winter, I bring the batteries in and keep them in the basement over the winter and have been going strong on these for several years now.

Lawn mower would be a no go as I have about .6 of an acre here and it would not handle that, I'm sure.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Somewhat OT, but anyone interested in lawn care, and maybe I'm late to the party, Google earth has a tool where you can use the aerial photos to measure the area of your yard so you can by and use fertilizer, etc. accurately. When I put my fert down a couple of weeks ago, I was able to use a bit more than 2 bags intended for 15,000 sq feet in the area outlined. It really helps.

yard.png

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    One downside to an electric mixer is who works in it when do something goes wrong? Trying to get a wiring schematic can be a real headache. I have a Craftsman 40v that would not run. Obsolete since they had switched just after I bought it to 60v so good luck on parts, including spare batteries. Ended up tearing it apart and using an ohm meter to finally trace down a broken wire.

I have since gotten a Ryobi 40v from Home Depot and picked up a spare battery. A few months later they had a trimmer with battery for less than a spare battery for less than just the battery.

The biggest difference between the Craftsman and Ryobi is the Ah ratings on the batteries. The Craftsman batteries are 2.5Ah and are just ok on battery life. The Ryobi I have 4.0Ah and 5Ah and they run much longer.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Why not gas?
    My gas mower just quit. When I try to start it, the most it will do is backfire through the carburetor. I will take it in Monday to find out what's wrong. It's a Toro, self-propelled, electric start, walk behind. It has served me well, but may need replaced, so I'm exploring options.
    Sheep, multi-purpose.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    The new Brushless Kobalt 80V comes with a 5.0Ah Battery. Mine has run for at least a couple hours at a time and the Kid does not mow it as often as it needs and it doesn't have an issue going thru 4"-5" long grass. I also have the 80V string trimmer that has just as much power as my gas Stihl did. I don't have to worry about winterizing it, getting and keeping fuel around for both or any sort of maintenance(oil change). The mower starts right up every time and stores vertically so it takes up a third of the space. I have had it over a year and no complaints yet.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    eGo is the way to go. I have a number of their garden tools, mower, weedeater, trimmer, blower, chain saw, and edger. They all use the same batteries.

Mine is not self-propelled, but I get about 45 minutes on the 5ah battery that comes with it. Mine came with a quick charger that can have the battery fully charged before I drain the next one. It's also pretty much as powerful as the gas push mowers I've had in the past.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I am on my 3rd season with the Ego 21" lawn mower. This thing is a champ. Prior to this I had a corded Black and Decker that had no issues for 14 years. The Black and Decker still works, but I would need to get the handle fixed. Instead I switched to battery.

I have since I got the mower gotten the Ego snow blower, string trimmer and blower. They all use the same battery.

There are several reviews of the Ego mowers on Youtube. They almost always out do the other battery powered mowers, and some gas mowers.

judgecrater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    [h=1]I had a Honda sort of like this for many years with zero trouble. Put in gas, check oil and go. Never had to go to a shop for any reason. Battery never went dead or needed replacing. (It had no battery.)

21 in. 3-in-1 Variable Speed Gas Walk Behind Self Propelled Lawn Mower with Auto Choke[/h]
    (682)

Write a Review Questions & Answers (90)

• Honda GCV170 engine has the power to help tackle the toughest job
    • 21 inch, steel deck with twin blades for a superior cut
    • Smart Drive- allows for easily adjustable variable speed

$ 409 00

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a 4 cycle push mower and a 4 cycle string trimmer. They're both 11 years old and haven't ever missed a beat - and I don't exactly maintain them by the book. I don't abuse them, mind you...

And when the time comes to replace either of them, I'm going to give a good long look at electric. 1/3 acre lot - minus the 2000sq ft house and probably 1500 sq ft of driveway. No reason that battery powered implements won't work for me/us. Plus - then maybe my wife would trim!

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    still have my briggs&stratton Lawn Star i bought in 1978 and use it about an hour a week for trimming. i am starting to get nervous cause it is starting to use a little oil and I have had to patch up the deck twice now but
    at least I got my money out of it

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I ended up buying a newer model of the mower I had before. It worked well for a decade, it's easy to use, the wife likes it, and she likes to mow the yard at least half the time.
    I probably could have found a better price than I paid, but I supported a local business that has always given me good service.
    Thanks for everyone's comments and advice.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    the wife likes it, and she likes to mow the yard at least half the time.

I probably could have found a better price than I paid, but I supported a local business that has always given me good service.
    Thanks for everyone's comments and advice.

The wife mowing would have had me buying whatever mower she wanted, so good move.

And I agree on the local business. I bought my last mower at a plant farm where they have a service area for mowers, and prioritize those who buy there on getting them in and out for service. Makes all the difference.

thewoods868

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2017
    Paoli
    When my 15 year old craftsman self propelled mower with the Honda engine dies I will definitely look at battery powered. I too only have a small amount of grass that I can’t get to with my rider. If it will last 15 minutes per charge I’m in!

Top Bottom