• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm thinking this might be the year for me to invest in a new battery powered string trimmer?

Lotta choices and price ranges out there. Your experience with these?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Love the Ryobis. Steer clear of their cheapest 18v unit. its slow and anemic, and string breaks easily. I bought the 40v unit for my church and love it. I've been tolerating it for years because it works, it just takes me a while.

Since I have so many other 18v, Im going to buy the $160 model next chance I get.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    E-Go here

I picked up the power head unit and the string trimmer attachment. The power head accepts multiple attachments so it keeps options open for other things later.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    eGo is probably the best you can get. If you like Consumer Reports, they love the eGo stuff.

I have this one
    It does everything my gas powered string trimmer did. It uses the heavier .095in line, which some of the battery models do not. The Powerload is awesome. No more screwing around getting more line into the silly thing. Pull new line through and push a button. It winds it into the head for you.

I also have a push mower, chain saw, hedge trimmer, blower, and their multi-head tool with edger and trimmer.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I just acquired the eGo leaf blower, multi-head tool with string trimmer and edger attachments and a 25" hedge trimmer. I haven't used the hedge trimmer yet but my limited use of the other tools has been positive. They are a bit heavier than my gas powered tools but I'll get used to that with some more use. The string trimmer uses 0.095" twisted line and is very powerful. If the line accidentally grabs on to something, it doesn't let go.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    One note on eGO. I read a few reviews from people who purchased their eGo tools from Amazon and had warranty claim issues due to Amazon or their selling partner not being recognized as a eGo dealer. If you go the eGo route, maybe consider buying them at a reputable brick and mortar like Ace Hardware or a big box store that is an authorized eGo dealer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have not researched much. My first thought was to go with the Milwaukee fuel line. Hoping this will be a long term medium use purchase.

Thinking the batteries are the real investment here? Likelihood that Milwaukee will be around long term and their batteries will run other tools that might be needed down the road? Blower might certainly be of interest, along with who knows what on garage tools.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ego. All their tools are 56 volt with varying amps for run duration, but they all work on every EGO tool. I have the blower, string trimmer and hedge trimmer.

As others stated, Lowe's and Ace hardware are EGO dealers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have not researched much. My first thought was to go with the Milwaukee fuel line. Hoping this will be a long term medium use purchase.

Thinking the batteries are the real investment here? Likelihood that Milwaukee will be around long term and their batteries will run other tools that might be needed down the road? Blower might certainly be of interest, along with who knows what on garage tools.

You will not go wrong with the big "M" in battery tools.
    I have 2 impacts (1/4" and 1/2") 2 drills a SawZall and a small trim saw. I use them hard and they stand up to it.
    18V and all over 4 years old and used a lot.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I overheard someone at Lowe's talking to a customer about the E-go batteries and they were like $500 to replace the battery? That seems insane to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I overheard someone at Lowe's talking to a customer about the E-go batteries and they were like $500 to replace the battery? That seems insane to me.
    The batteries are the most expensive replacement. Not sure what the unit costs in total but sometimes that's the easiest way.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You will not go wrong with the big "M" in battery tools.
    I have 2 impacts (1/4" and 1/2") 2 drills a SawZall and a small trim saw. I use them hard and they stand up to it.
    18V and all over 4 years old and used a lot.

I have come to edge of buying an "M" 1/2" impact a couple times, but talked myself out of it. I even rented one once.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    First, it depends upon the size.
    If you buy a device with a battery, the difference in price between one with a battery and without puts the battery around $50-100. What I did was buy some with batteries early on and then started buying them without. I have 2x2.5Ah, a 5Ah, and a 7.5Ah.
    1651789585532.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    First, it depends upon the size.
    If you buy a device with a battery, the difference in price between one with a battery and without puts the battery around $50-100. What I did was buy some with batteries early on and then started buying them without. I have 2x2.5Ah, a 5Ah, and a 7.5Ah.
    View attachment 199038
    Yeah, I think the one being discussed was the highest capacity model.

Top Bottom