• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Has anyone tried the HSGI Slim Grip? That's one I've been looking at closely.

What are you wanting to carry on it? 2 pistol mags, 2 rifle, holster?

I have the other HSGI, the suregrip. What I like about it, is that it has enough surface area to handle lots of weight without digging into my hips. Not sure how well the slim grip would work, but then again I have no experience with it, So I cannot say if it wouldnt.

I do like its lower profile though.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    What are you wanting to carry on it? 2 pistol mags, 2 rifle, holster?

I have the other HSGI, the suregrip. What I like about it, is that it has enough surface area to handle lots of weight without digging into my hips. Not sure how well the slim grip would work, but then again I have no experience with it, So I cannot say if it wouldnt.

I do like its lower profile though.

Primary uses are for HD and training. I don't envision loading up for a full on assault op. But you never know.

Right now I picture two pistol mag carriers, at least one double decker AR/pistol mag taco. Fixed blade knife, a small collapsible dump pouch, IFAK, flashlight pouch and holster.

The issue with the HSGI slim grip is that it only has two rows of molle loops. There are no d-rings to attach suspenders, but I don't plan to use those.

It would probably have no issue handling the setup I described.

[video=youtube_share;hXFstWHKC2M]http://youtu.be/hXFstWHKC2M[/video]

I like the idea of more real estate with the regular sure grip, but I don't know that I really need it. Then again, I may want to start doing more rifle training down the road. But I'd probably end up getting a vest if that's the case.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I like the idea of more real estate with the regular sure grip, but I don't know that I really need it. Then again, I may want to start doing more rifle training down the road. But I'd probably end up getting a vest if that's the case.

Well, Im not trying to sway you one way or the other, but the way I see it with the slim grip, you are still taking up the same amount of space on your body, either way you go. Since with the slim, the mag pouches will hang below the belt and the mags will extend out the top, its still taking up the same amount of space. The only difference is you have padding and support for the pouches on the bottom portion with the sure grip.

I also never thought I would use the suspenders but after running a few classes and needing to carry a few more rifle mags (I think I was trying to carry 4 rifle and 2 pistol), I could definitely could feel it starting to pulling down. I could see where having the suspenders option would be nice. Each rifle mag loaded is roughly 15oz (so almost a pound), add on a loaded pistol (another 2lbs), ifak, it adds up.

I think the Slim looks great, and I have no problem recommending HSGI, and I think I kinda want to try one out.... just want the correct decision to be made and no second guessing, given they are expensive, especially when you add the belt to the order.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think I could equate it to buying a safe. You'll never regret getting one bigger than you think you're going to need. It sounds like having more options is better.

I guess that settles it. Full size it is.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I think I could equate it to buying a safe. You'll never regret getting one bigger than you think you're going to need. It sounds like having more options is better.

I guess that settles it. Full size it is.

Where are you located (besides earth)? If close, I could always let you try mine out to see if you like it first..... I guess it also depends on which size you are looking at... cause it might not fit.

But the suregrip has some draw backs too (so dont let me sway you), its larger, which means its more fabric, so its not going to be as breathable. I swear by mine but it doesn't mean its for everyone. I just dont want you cursing JollyMon for making you go against your gut feeling.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Where are you located (besides earth)? If close, I could always let you try mine out to see if you like it first..... I guess it also depends on which size you are looking at... cause it might not fit.

But the suregrip has some draw backs too (so dont let me sway you), its larger, which means its more fabric, so its not going to be as breathable. I swear by mine but it doesn't mean its for everyone. I just dont want you cursing JollyMon for making you go against your gut feeling.

I'm in Fishers. Probably looking at the 35.5 inch size. Waist is between 38-40.

Primary use would be for home defense as something I could throw on quickly, so breathability is not a huge concern.

I'm also looking at one of the belts from US Grunt Gear.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I'm close by (465 and 31) but sadly the one I have wont fit. I have the 30.5" end to end suregrip with the 32-34" belt. But I can still meet you somewhere if you wanted to inspect one to see if you like the quality and feel.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    mcgrease08
    I believe we are both signed up for Coach/BBI's June class at Riley. I will have my HSGI Suregrip with me that you can check out. It looks like we are the same size. I have mine currently set up with two Hsgi tacos, two double tacos, bleeder pouch, dump pouch, Gcode RTI (XST or SOG holster). Very comfortable and adaptable. I run it on a DSG cobra belt.
    i have ordered direct from HSGI and also 21stTactical who attends the Indy1500. He brought me some stuff, just send him an e-mail first, and it was cheaper than the HSGI route since no shipping. Sometimes he has HSGI stuff with him but will for sure if you let home know.
    I live near Broad Ripple and work downtown so not too far from you. I could meet you before June if you like.
    Nigel

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    mcgrease08
    I believe we are both signed up for Coach/BBI's June class at Riley. I will have my HSGI Suregrip with me that you can check out. It looks like we are the same size. I have mine currently set up with two Hsgi tacos, two double tacos, bleeder pouch, dump pouch, Gcode RTI (XST or SOG holster). Very comfortable and adaptable. I run it on a DSG cobra belt.
    i have ordered direct from HSGI and also 21stTactical who attends the Indy1500. He brought me some stuff, just send him an e-mail first, and it was cheaper than the HSGI route since no shipping. Sometimes he has HSGI stuff with him but will for sure if you let home know.
    I live near Broad Ripple and work downtown so not too far from you. I could meet you before June if you like.
    Nigel

Very cool off you to offer. I'll be saving up some funds before I pull the trigger on this so checking things out at the training next month would be fine if you don't mind bringing your set up.

Also thanks for the tip about the vendor. I'll definitely try and get in touch with him, and support a local guy.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Why use a belt versus using a vest?

For one, I want something I can keep by the bed and throw on quickly if something goes bump in the night. Nothing easier than throwing a belt around your waist, no matter what you're wearing.

Secondly, most of the training I've done is centered around pistols, so I don't necessarily need a full load out that requires a vest.

I would like to do some rifle classes in the future, but a belt can be configured to hold rifle mags too, so you get more flexibility with a belt IMO.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    The way I look at it is that my EDC gun is my 1st line.

If I have time and ability I grab a rifle and the belt as my 2nd line. That gives me more ammo for both, a place to store the weaker handgun until needed, a med kit, and a place to dump empty mags/phone on speaker with 911, etc.

If time allows I also grab the Plate carrier (3rd line) which again raises the ammo count for both primary and secondary and also adds rifle threat protection.

The biggest reason I set up both is that I don't want a ton of stuff across my chest so that I can get closer to the ground when in the prone. This also allows me to have my rifle closer to my chest as well.

Overall with both platforms I have 6 rifle mags and 5 handgun mags along with a trauma kit, a dump pouch, and a fixed blade knife.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I used my HSGI battle belt this week at Tactical Response's Fighting Rifle. It worked out very well for me. I was the only person not running either a chest rig or plate carrier, but I always had enough mags to keep up. I did not envy the guys wearing chest rigs with all the running and getting up and down in the heat.

Nigel explained it pretty well to me when we were taking an ACT rifle class last year and I asked him about chest rigs. A chest rig would be pretty good if you were in a vehicle, but for running around and getting prone and back up and squatting down and crouching, kneeling, etc, a battle belt works better (plate carriers being a different animal all together as they are heavy, rigid, hot and a general pain in the ass, but can stop bullets from poking holes in some very important parts).

With my current belt setup I can run up to 10 rifle mags and 3 pistol mags, but usually carry 2 pistol mags and 4 rifle mags along with pistol, trauma kit, flashlight, knife, bottle of water and some other supplemental stuff.

I have some body armor, but I will keep them pretty slick, except for a minimal trauma kit. I think I'm going to keep my gear and ammo on my belt.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I used my HSGI battle belt this week at Tactical Response's Fighting Rifle. It worked out very well for me. I was the only person not running either a chest rig or plate carrier, but I always had enough mags to keep up. I did not envy the guys wearing chest rigs with all the running and getting up and down in the heat.

Nigel explained it pretty well to me when we were taking an ACT rifle class last year and I asked him about chest rigs. A chest rig would be pretty good if you were in a vehicle, but for running around and getting prone and back up and squatting down and crouching, kneeling, etc, a battle belt works better (plate carriers being a different animal all together as they are heavy, rigid, hot and a general pain in the ass, but can stop bullets from poking holes in some very important parts).

With my current belt setup I can run up to 10 rifle mags and 3 pistol mags, but usually carry 2 pistol mags and 4 rifle mags along with pistol, trauma kit, flashlight, knife, bottle of water and some other supplemental stuff.

I have some body armor, but I will keep them pretty slick, except for a minimal trauma kit. I think I'm going to keep my gear and ammo on my belt.

You are meant to wear plate carrier with a chest rig. A chest rig is meant for being in vehicles.

All this stuff is layers. It's meant to be used together not in place of.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    You are meant to wear plate carrier with a chest rig. A chest rig is meant for being in vehicles.

All this stuff is layers. It's meant to be used together not in place of.

Good to know, how is yours set up? I know a lot of folks put mags and pouches directly on their plate carriers, do you keep your PC slick/bare and just use it for plates and your chest rig for gear?

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Good to know, how is yours set up? I know a lot of folks put mags and pouches directly on their plate carriers, do you keep your PC slick/bare and just use it for plates and your chest rig for gear?

The one that is easily accessible has everything on the plate carrier. I can put it on in about 2 seconds.

If you are just starting out and budget matters i would highly suggest you keep an eye out for 5.11 closeouts/clearance. It's been 3ish years but i buying carrier setups for like $60. Carrier, 8ar mag pouch, 4 pistol mag, and med kit.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

Do you have picture of that setup? I have never really seen a battle belt with more than 4 (maybe 5) rifle mags (mainly because space required). Just wondering how you got 10 on there with everything else listed.... unless you were saying that you can hold 10 rifle and 3 pistol and nothing else...... but usually only run 4/2 with everything else listed.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Do you have picture of that setup? I have never really seen a battle belt with more than 4 (maybe 5) rifle mags (mainly because space required). Just wondering how you got 10 on there with everything else listed.... unless you were saying that you can hold 10 rifle and 3 pistol and nothing else...... but usually only run 4/2 with everything else listed.

I usually only run 4/2 with the stuff listed, or I can dump everything out of the mag pouches and stuff mags in and carry 10 rifle mags, 3 pistol mags, pistol holster, knife, and trauma kit.

I have two pouches that have flaps and can each hold 3 ar mags. Those usually get used to hold tools/water/extra trauma kit, etc but I can dump that stuff and pick up another 6 rifle mags if I wanted to.

Most of my back is clear, so there's room for more pouches, but don't really feel like I am missing anything. I can see why people use dump pouches, but right now I'm not using one.

Top Bottom