• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    No, from your avatar and your comments about being in the military, I meant the Sand Box far, far away. If you're in California, that's even WORSE! You're surrounded out there. At least with Haji, you know where he is and that somebody's got your back. Not so in Cali. Sorry for you, bud. :(

Hadji was an East Indian. I know, I have the complete Johnny Quest Series. I am also familiar with Fort Irwin and environs. It's the reason I switched from the Army to the AF...while spending yet ANOTHER night sleeping in the desert I watched the AF flying back to Las Vegas and thought; ya know, if you were going to do this for a career...

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    Hadji was an East Indian. I know, I have the complete Johnny Quest Series. I am also familiar with Fort Irwin and environs. It's the reason I switched from the Army to the AF...while spending yet ANOTHER night sleeping in the desert I watched the AF flying back to Las Vegas and thought; ya know, if you were going to do this for a career...

Haji is a derogatory reference to Muslims and refers to the Hajj; a pilgrimage to Mecca that is one of the Five Pillars of Islam. Any Muslim who is able to conduct the Hajj at least once in their life should. It has nothing to do with Johnny Quest…..

Last edited:

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    And why would you want to shoot a dangerous enemy with a round you wouldn't use on a deer? Like the hot rod folks say, there's no replacement for displacement. 7.62 NATO is mo betta than 5.56 varmint.

I like my .45-70 lever gun. Sure the AR cyclic rate is higher but I'm throwing like a third of the AR platforms' mag with every round. Don't even think about hiding behind a tree...silly trees.

If you are going to reach 50 posts to utilize the classifieds, please at least post something useful and accurate. With modern ammunition and bullet selection, the 5.56 has proven itself to be very lethal on the field of battle. Also it provides many logistical and combat advantages; example more rounds in a standard combat load to establish a base of fire. If we followed your logic, we would be running around with your 45-70s….

There is a benefit and cost to each round and weapon. A selection should be made based on needs and intended application. For what OP is wanting to accomplish, a 5.56 would more than work.

FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    To start everyone thank you for the input this is what i was looking for. As for how lethal the 5.56 and its accuracy over range as marines we qualify with the 5.56 shooting up to 500m. I am not denying that i love my AR and everything that goes with it, but i am looking to eventually upgrade that as well, in the mean time i found a man who is willing to trade my ar for his m1a with EBR stock plus a few extra pieces of gear that i had lying around sounded like a good deal?

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I traded an M4 upper I put together and some ammo for an L1A1 and some mags and ammo. I wanted to switch to 7.62 also because I only have the capacity to support one rifle platform/caliber right now. Point being, the only reason I traded was the deal gave me a caliber change and a weapon that could do many things. Consider your needs after changing calibers. I say, if you wanna change to 7.62, do it and dont look back. I would get a rifle that gives you some versatility first. A stock FAL, M1A, HK91, AR308, or SCAR17 will get you 0-500 no prob. If you wanna just get one for longer range, save your money first and keep your AR.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you are going to reach 50 posts to utilize the classifieds, please at least post something useful and accurate. With modern ammunition and bullet selection, the 5.56 has proven itself to be very lethal on the field of battle. Also it provides many logistical and combat advantages; example more rounds in a standard combat load to establish a base of fire. If we followed your logic, we would be running around with your 45-70s….

There is a benefit and cost to each round and weapon. A selection should be made based on needs and intended application. For what OP is wanting to accomplish, a 5.56 would more than work.

Sorry you didn't see my humor font...and I have no interest in posting anything to the classifieds so opening with that as an insult to discredit anything I posted is pointless.

The 5.56 was procured for its ability to wound not kill. "very lethal" should be followed with YMMV.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    To start everyone thank you for the input this is what i was looking for. As for how lethal the 5.56 and its accuracy over range as marines we qualify with the 5.56 shooting up to 500m. I am not denying that i love my AR and everything that goes with it, but i am looking to eventually upgrade that as well, in the mean time i found a man who is willing to trade my ar for his m1a with EBR stock plus a few extra pieces of gear that i had lying around sounded like a good deal?

Sounds like a very good deal. I'm not one to ever get rid of a gun but I would take that deal.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    The 5.56 was procured for its ability to wound not kill. "very lethal" should be followed with YMMV.

The idea that the military adopted the round because “if you wound one you take three out of the fight” is completely false and a myth that has been incorrectly perpetuated. The 5.56 was not designed to wound, it was designed to kill. The round tumbles and causes terrible wound channels. There are tons of military documents from when the M16 and 5.56x45mm were developed; none of them show any intent for the round to wound. The below article is a synopsis.

The Poodle Killer Myth | The Bang Switch

Also if it was designed to wound, why did Russia attempt to copy its lethality with the 5.45x39? If it is a wounding round, why is the 5.56, or similar caliber round, the standard issue for so many nations around the globe? This is true for both NATO and non-NATO countries. Heck, even Russia issues AKM variants in 5.45 in more numbers than the venerable .30 caliber 7.62x39. Look at ballistics test from both independent and government testing to see the lethality of the 5.56x45 and 5.45x39. Don’t expound myths that the 5.56 was designed to wound.

Is the 7.62x51 a better choice in some instances than the 5.56x45, such as defeating intermediate barriers; yes. Is the 5.56x45 a better choice in some instances than the 7.62x51, such as CQB; yes. You need to identify needs and find the rifle/round that best fills those needs. The fact remains that with proper bullet and barrel selection the 5.56 can be devastating from 0-600+ yards. There are plenty of our enemies from the GWOT that would attest to this, if they could……

The OP needs to realistically identify his needs and see if the added cost and weight of the .30 is justified. It appears he has a solid AR setup that can fill his needs just fine. Also with the AR he can practice twice as much than with the M1A (which training trumps gear selection any day). I say resist the urge to switch just for the sake of doing it.

Last edited:

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    In early iterations the 55gr FMJ out of a 1:12 twist barrel was known to be stable in the air but would yaw greatly in flesh. Early adopters noted massive trauma from the 5.56 out of the M16A1.

Regarding the original question of the OP:

If you have a SCAR 17, you really don't NEED an M1A. If you just want one, that's fine. But the M1A has been surpassed by the SCAR 17 in everything but nostalgia.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    OP, cgbills has given you some pretty sound advice. Personally I would keep the AR and save up for the 7.62 rifle of you dreams and then you would have both avenues covered. Since you just re-upped you will have plenty of time to set back money to buy an M14 style better than an M1A. And since you are out there in enemy territory, you won't be able to buy it there, unless they sell them at the PX.

Top Bottom