• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    1. Great find on those .pdf files! I read through them and couldn't find any issues with the 17 breaking optics. Please reference the page if I missed it.
    2. If these rifles were breaking optics the owners would be crying all over the interwebz. If someone broke their $3k Schmidt then we would likely know about it.
    3. I had a TON of problems with a 553 but that was poor design, not any rifles fault.

The issue I took was everyone getting on the new guy. Posters here are asking for them to "factually back up" their statement only to post that "SCARs eat optics" without being able to "factually able to back up" their own statements. An attempt at a joke got missed and Thor's assertion that he wouldn't use a .223 on a deer got blown out of proportion.

That is where I took issue. Good night to all and happy posting.
    [FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]You should probably read that whole M4Carbine thread before you say it is unfounded. [/FONT]Monty LeClair is a well know industry rep, owner of Centurion arms and did first hand testing on the SCAR at Crane. He will attest to some of the issues the 17 had. I think he and guys like Larry Vickers and my commander know what they are talking about.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I read the thread. The best I could find was this:

"If I remember correctly I think it was happening on the SCAR L and the SCAR H. That I would have to confirm but I'm currently deployed will have to check it out when I get back I want to know too. I think Grant is just saying there is some "odd ****"(technical terms) going on in the receiver that is the root of the issue. I know the laser issue was resolved and pretty sure the Elcan was too but once again will have to check on that. I know guys have used Nightforce scopes on them with no issues and I would put an aimpoint on anything!! The problem right now is that EOtech is the issued SOPMOD sight."

Reading that I take away that he isn't sure of the issues and the EOtech they were being issued (553) is junk. Which it is. He also never came back to confirm, as he said he would. Not saying it never happened, but I wouldn't consider that "well known."

An interesting side note are the improvements that SOCOM wanted now that are purchasable. FN has released (through SgtStryker) the hardened steel lower rail and the SSR stocks.

Thanks for the link to some new reading material.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Everyone is a little different. The little AR stirs nothing in my soul. There is no kick for me in accessorizing the black rifle. I really have no pride of ownership. It would not be my first pick in an emergency, even though I would take it with confidence if needed. If I didn't compete in Highpower Service rifle matches, I would not shoot one very often. (That doesn't mean I don't know how to shoot one)

It is a pretty reliable shooting tool, and performs what it was designed to do pretty well. Like any other tool, I like a quality one with quality features, ie: good barrel, trigger and sights.

Even if I didn't use an AR very often, I would still keep one. It is not like it eats anything. It will sit in the back of the safe for years and still be ready when you want. Sort of like a basin wrench, when you need one, it is pretty handy to have around. I don't use my sidewalk edger very often either, But whenever I want it, I am glad to have it.

Unless your kids are missing meals, don't sell it. If you want something else, save up and buy that also.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom