• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    OK. I have the shotgun, the pistol, the ar....but how do you do carry enough shotgun shells to shoot a stage when you have no money left after getting everything else. Started looking at the ELS belt and it would be $300?

I have a plate carrier and dump pouch that I could use, but is there any inexpensive ways to carry shotgun shells that would work and keep things competitivel? Thinking in the sub $75 range to carry 16 shells.

Thanks for any creative ideas that may just work.

Last edited by a moderator:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i picked up a shell pouch from the 1500 for 20 bucks, holds 17 shells. works for me. you can get shell bags/carriers from big box sporting good stores.
    go online you can get viable equipment from amazon [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Eliminator-Single-Carrier/dp/B004NFVIHM/ref=sr_1_44?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1332472160&sr=1-44]Amazon.com: Allen Company Eliminator Single Box Shell Carrier with Molded Frame: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

for as much reloading as you will have to do with the pistol or the ar, your back pockets work great. get your VERY basic setup, and go out and have fun. you will learn quickly what works and does not work for you and you can then come up with some pretty creative fixes. i saw guys with the expensive shell carriers, guys with bandoliers, guys rocking the stock shell holders, guys with armbands on that had shells on them. the possibilitis are endless. some guys has shell bags that looked like someone make a small sack, put a ring in the top to keep it open and then sewed a belt loop in it. everyone had fun.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    im really interested in comp shooting, but have no idea where to begin. not threadjacking. somone pm me if there are an avid shooter of these sorts. thank you.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Or better yet, come check out a match. Ask people about their guns and gear. I have yet to find someone who doesnt like to brag about the stuff they are using :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ....is there any inexpensive ways to carry shotgun shells that would work and keep things competitive? Thinking in the sub $75 range to carry 16 shells.
    QUOTE]

Choate 6-round caddies...
    Competition Shotshell Ammo Carrier 12 Ga 6-Round Belt Loop Composite Black

RZ

If you want to be competitive, you have two choices. One is the the shell caddies like the Choat that Ryan mentioned above. There are some others like California Competition Works, etc., but they all work the same way.

The other choice is mounting the shells on the gun. www.3gungear.com is a good source and you can see what is useful there.

Pouches and loops on your belt are going to cost you too much time if you really want to be competitive.

THolland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I bought the Calif. Competition 4 shell holders,they seem to be a good shell caddie. comes with the shell caddie, 2 plastic inserts(used to fill space for diffrent sized shells) and velcro to secure plastic inserts in caddie. I bought mine with the metal belt clips, may see if they could be fitted with some tek lok hardware just so they don't slide off the belt as your trying to grab shells.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    A version of shell caddies is the only way to compete down the road. And 3 gun has a way of dragging you in and costing you thousands. Be warned!!

rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    A version of shell caddies is the only way to compete down the road. And 3 gun has a way of dragging you in and costing you thousands. Be warned!!

Got that really quickly. Thanks for the info. Just needed to search the interwebs better.

If there is a gun dealer that wanted to make some money...they could sell a package deal such as:

Stag Arms 3g $1400
    Aimpoint $600 (tac optics)
    Mossberg JM Pro 930 $600
    Glock 34 $600
    Belt, holster and shot shell carriers $200

So you are up to $3,400 just to get started. But it would be a heck of a start. And having it all in one place, especially the belt, holster, shell carriers would be a big +.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    And most folks would say "$3400 to start???!!!" No freaking way! And then they'd spend more than that over the next few years.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well that's all new prices too. The used market is your friend. Belts and shell caddies don't come up very often. But a serviceable AR and Glock come up all the time. You can play for much less than 3400.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yep, you can get in for cheaper than 3400.....but you haven't bought a holster, mag carriers, an AR mag carrier, mags for you pistol, mags for your rifle, range bag, ammo, eyes and ears........I could go on too!!!!

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I use a $5 fanny pack. It will hold a full box of 25 shells and has separate compartments for slugs if I need some of them too. Pops on and off real easy and I can position it anywhere as needed and reach it with either hand. It doesn't keep the shells all lined up nice and pretty, but for cheap and easy, it works GREAT.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I use a $5 fanny pack. It will hold a full box of 25 shells and has separate compartments for slugs if I need some of them too. Pops on and off real easy and I can position it anywhere as needed and reach it with either hand. It doesn't keep the shells all lined up nice and pretty, but for cheap and easy, it works GREAT.

How quickly does that setup let you reload 8 rounds?

There's a reason those other caddies "keep the shells all lined up nice and pretty"

Because that's the fastest way to reload them. We are on a timer...

Top Bottom