Benchmade just stepped in it with both feet.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Dick's is a retailer, they can change whatever they want to sell.

Guns are small portion of their business, garment and sporting goods have much higher margin, 100% markup isn't uncommon.

And there are plenty of gun owners still shop there.

Dick's are not gonna close their doors like Sears any time soon.

Is Brad gonna stop selling BM knives?

I don't think so.

Not getting your point really, and I'm not necessarily advocating particular actions for or against Benchmade here, but in the end, sometimes the point is not to put someone out of business, but rather to get them to understand impacts and alter their actions, change management, etc, to achieve their financial goals.

That said, sometimes the business doesn't change their behavior and just takes the hit or adjusts some other way, and then the idea in these consumer actions is to at least not support the opposition.

Basically, if you don't think these businesses notice when sales decline, you would be incorrect. In today's environment, especially in retail, consumer goods, etc they notice, even what some may consider small % declines.

And I hear you on margins on individual items, but retail is not known for overall high margins, when you look at their entire Cost of Good Sold numbers, when they have high overhead B&M stores, at least not these days.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    What I'm saying is Benchmade probably will survive this just fine.

The boycott will hurt their business, but what is the percentage of people would no longer buying Benchmade knives?

I've yet seen any retailers boycotting Benchmade.

Springfield Armory is still around.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What I'm saying is Benchmade probably will survive this just fine.

The boycott will hurt their business, but what is the percentage of people would no longer buying Benchmade knives?

I've yet seen any retailers boycotting Benchmade.

Springfield Armory is still around.

Maybe it's like Baptist and alcohol: we'll all say that we'll never buy it - then travel to the next town over at 10 pm and wear a fake mustache to get that shiny new Benchmade.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    That's Disgusting!

48x3boB.jpg
    She’s hawt!

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I listened to the interview last night. When Tom got on him about using a leftist lobbying firm and pointed out why the knife bill they are pushing sucks, you could tell he got pissed but didn’t know what to say.

Ya the kid just went silent, I imagine that he didn't have a logical response. Almost worse than their actions have been Benchmade's response to all of this. I carry a Benchmade everyday and I'm not big on boycotts but quite frankly they've pretty much lost all of my business with them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Tom left the guy speechless a couple different times. As media spokesperson for Benchmade, it didn't sound like the guy was ready to defend the company against real 2A questions?

Kinda brings up the issue again. Do the liberal blue coast states view the Second Amendment the same as the rest of the country?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You are right, it is funny. However, I'm talking about the folks supposedly "on our side." Even "pro gun" folks in those states often see things differerently from being raised in that liberal/dem/blue state environment.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    You are right, it is funny. However, I'm talking about the folks supposedly "on our side." Even "pro gun" folks in those states often see things differerently from being raised in that liberal/dem/blue state environment.

Truth.

Look at how much variation there is in perspective on the second amendment even between various nationwide "pro gun" organizations. Heck, they're not even all on the same side.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Tom left the guy speechless a couple different times. As media spokesperson for Benchmade, it didn't sound like the guy was ready to defend the company against real 2A questions?

Kinda brings up the issue again. Do the liberal blue coast states view the Second Amendment the same as the rest of the country?

Destroying guns, donating to Antis, never affirming support for civilian arms, hiring lefty lobbyist groups... and now we know they don't even know what issues their own bill will cause... They just keep digging that hole deeper.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Destroying guns, donating to Antis, never affirming support for civilian arms, hiring lefty lobbyist groups... and now we know they don't even know what issues their our bill will cause... They just keep digging that hole deeper.
    yeah, but they are really supportive of law enforcement. I am not sure how many times he repeated that. It was like that was supposed to end any criticism.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013

So Guns used in crimes should be destroyed.

Let's say someone stole your gun, used it to rob someone.

Now YOUR gun is recovered by the police.

Should your gun be destroyed?

And, OCPD could not provided the copies of court orders of such destruction of guns.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So Guns used in crimes should be destroyed.

Let's say someone stole your gun, used it to rob someone.

Now YOUR gun is recovered by the police.

Should your gun be destroyed?

And, OCPD could not provided the copies of court orders of such destruction of guns.

Step it up a notch -

Lets say the guns that were stolen were one of a kind, non-replaceable, new in box, never fired worth about 2,000 to 10,000 a piece.
    Not standard gun store stock.

NOW how do you feel about them being recovered by the police but then needing to be destroyed because....... Stupid Bull**** Rules. :xmad:

That's how I feel about ANY of my babies. A stranger touching them would be bad enough, but stolen? That's punishable by slow death.... twice. But having them recovered and threatened to be cut up? I would do almost ANYTHING to get them back. If I fail, it's only because I'm in jail or dead for trying.

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I see no reason to destroy a tool unless it is unsafe to operate/un-repairable, even if it is old evidence. If its meant to destroy then it no longer means it is important evidence right? Its not like its got a mind of its own, it is just a waste of more productive fund raising resources for the local police. Instead of reselling to the public at a discount, they spend money to destroy good product. Less funds and less well armed good citizens...

Leave it to a government agency, local or federal, to spend money on wasting money.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    The judge ordered the police department to destroy the guns. He didn't order Benchmade to do it. They could have said, "we won't participate."

Destroying guns promotes the idea that "the guns are the problem." Benchmade has, by their actions, promoted that idea, whether they understood it at the time or not.

Top Bottom