• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Lets say a fella wanted to bend 1/2" conduit into a 6' circle so the ends could be connected via a coupler. What length of conduit would be needed to make a 6' circle and what would be the technique to bend it using a manual pipe bender? I've got myself one of them there bright idears and trying to figure out if it can be done with a reasonable amount of time and effort.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    For a 6 ft diameter circle, 19 ft if it doesn't have to be exact... 18 ft 10.75 in if you want it more exact.

Not sure about the bending.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    With a conduit bender, pack a lunch. It'd take about a billion bends to look even remotely like a circle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Eight equally-spaced 45 degree bends would give an octagon that could be made circular with some smaller additional bends.

You come down and do the math, horn will lay it out and I will attempt to bend.
    It is near impossible to stay on track and keep something like that straight. Might be fun to try though. Who is buying the beer???

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, grab a 20' piece. As Snap noted, you'll need to cut it, but only once you have the full 360 degrees. Conduit is flexible enough that it can be 'jiggled' that last 1/2" or whatever to get it coupled in place.

It CAN be done with a manual bender, but IMO you'd be better off renting a power one (presuming you don't have one, and don't want to spend the $$$ for one).

Work slowly. Bending a full circle, and making it look 'right' is gonna take some time and patience to get that 'smooth' circle without kinking.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Overall Circle diameter - Diameter of pipe = Centerline Diamter

Centerline diameter X pi = circumference (aka straight length)

A 72" outside diameter circle of 1/2" pipe would have a centerline diameter of 71.5"...so 18'-8.625" circumference or straight length of pipe required.

As as others have said, start big and trim the extra when you're done...easier to remove pipe than to add it later when you come up short

Best bet is to find someone near you that has a hydraulic roller...check around for a small fab shop. If you were closer I could have it done over lunch

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hornady is right, you aren't going to be able to do it with a pipe bender. Whatcha making?

I'm guessing outdoor shower.

It could be done but it'd take a lot of finessing to smooth it out. About the only way it'd be possible would be to mount the bender so that it was solid and move the conduit by hand. Slight bend, move it a half inch, slight bend, move it a half inch, infinity.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Fill it with sand and tape it off good. Find an old utility company wooden spool and form it around its radius. The sand should keep the pipe from flattening or collapsing

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Fill it with sand and tape it off good. Find an old utility company wooden spool and form it around its radius. The sand should keep the pipe from flattening or collapsing

I bend things for a living, and this ^^^^^ is how I'd go about it.
    Big question is........is this a one off deal, or something you're gonna replicate? If it's a one off deal, it's a piece of cake, just fool with it til you get it right. If it's something you want to make numerous copies of, sometimes even fairly expensive tubing benders are hard to dial in to produce a series of precise parts.

Top Bottom