• phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Was wanting to make one of these
    baleblind_outfitter1_zps1550d33a.jpg

You can buy them but I'm not about to spend the kind of money they want for one. Sounds like the conduit idea isn't going to work out, back to the drawing board I reckon...

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    You don't have to go 360* then, all you need is an arch; even easier. However from the photo it looks like they bent square tubing. Dude this should be a piece of cake for you to make. Don't give up.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Is that a hunting blind?

Theres no need to bend full hoops...bend 1/2 or 1/3 sections and assemble them. It would also be easier to takedown and transport

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Was wanting to make one of these.
    You can buy them but I'm not about to spend the kind of money they want for one. Sounds like the conduit idea isn't going to work out, back to the drawing board I reckon...

HEXquestionmark.jpg

Any reason you couldn't just do it as hex? Four forty-five degree bends and some skinning/straight framing and you'd be done. Or is the arc/circle for the added internal volume? Or to make it look like a haybale or something?

You come down and do the math, horn will lay it out and I will attempt to bend.
    It is near impossible to stay on track and keep something like that straight. Might be fun to try though. Who is buying the beer???

If I could do math, I'd be a millionaire.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm not giving up, just gotta find a different option. I thought conduit would be cheap and relatively lightweight. Chances are it'll be assembled and disassembled once a year. We really need it more to move across an open field than we do to hunt out of and after seeing someone using one on a show it appeared light enough to fill that role nicely. If we could get it where we need to go and hunt out of it as well, that would just be icing on the cake. It'll have to look as much like a round bale as possible to avoid spooking the big boys, they're pretty smart and even more weary.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Was wanting to make one of these
    baleblind_outfitter1_zps1550d33a.jpg

Just make it an octagon. Turkeys probably would think the baler operator was drunk that day and geese are nowhere near that bright!

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I'm not giving up, just gotta find a different option. I thought conduit would be cheap and relatively lightweight. Chances are it'll be assembled and disassembled once a year. We really need it more to move across an open field than we do to hunt out of and after seeing someone using one on a show it appeared light enough to fill that role nicely. If we could get it where we need to go and hunt out of it as well, that would just be icing on the cake. It'll have to look as much like a round bale as possible to avoid spooking the big boys, they're pretty smart and even more weary.

Can you make an octagon out of PVC pipe and eight 45deg elbows?

If the octagon isn't round enough, you could "round it off" with 1/8" or so round bar on top of the straight sections of PVC...or you could use sixteen 22.5deg elbows for a more round shape, but those suckers are expensive compared to a standard 45deg

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yeah, I'm thinking PVC might be the ticket, cheap and easy. You can use 45 degree elbows and assemble the thing in the field. Plenty of strength, and plenty of options for making the thing whatever size and shape you want. Easier to haul in a truck bed, too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    View attachment 31048

Any reason you couldn't just do it as hex? Four forty-five degree bends and some skinning/straight framing and you'd be done. Or is the arc/circle for the added internal volume? Or to make it look like a haybale or something?

If I could do math, I'd be a millionaire.

Do this with half inch PVC or next up (3/4") and use fittings at the corners.
    I have seen many awnings/canopy's done that way.
    No glue just push together. It will work.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm betting 1/2 inch pvc would have enough flex to make an arch/circle. Get two, glue them together with a coupler and give it a shot. Use a heat gun to make it more pliable.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The PVC pipe is a common "building" material for inexpensive green houses, cold frames, and even chicken runs. I see no reason why "hunting blind" couldn't be added to the list.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can you make an octagon out of PVC pipe and eight 45deg elbows?

If the octagon isn't round enough, you could "round it off" with 1/8" or so round bar on top of the straight sections of PVC...or you could use sixteen 22.5deg elbows for a more round shape, but those suckers are expensive compared to a standard 45deg

THIS! I had a similar need with PVC and I found it was easier to go octagon with a bunch of couplers than trying to work with curves.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How many animals recognize angles vs curves? Or are you hiding from two legged animals? And for that matter, as I look at the original photo, how many bales of hay have windows? How are windows any less of a giveaway than lack of a constant arc?

You can also use closed cell foam to make spacers to create an arc profile between the pipe and the cover.

Now you understand why the factory model is so expensive... :):

Top Bottom