• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I have been wanting to buy a good cast iron skillet for a while. Cast iron is supposed to have a lot of benefits and advantages over other types of cookwear. My pans need replacing and I don't want to eat off of anything that has a nasty chemical coating that leaks into my food. I'll go with what has been used for thousands of years.

Anybody else use cast iron? I would like a good American-made brand, if someone has a recommendation.

Benefits:

• Cheap
    • Easy to store & clean up
    • Lasts a lifetime
    • Even heating across the surface
    • Retains heat longer
    • Naturally Non-Stick
    • Oven-safe
    • Boosts iron intake, improving health!
    • No chemical fumes
    • No teflon or aluminum particles in your food
    • Good SHTF cookwear
    • A formidable weapon
    • They are badass

Drawbacks:

• Modest cleaning requirements
    • Must keep it oiled ("seasoned") to prevent rust
    • ???

Ten reasons to try cast iron cooking

Ever So Humble, Cast Iron Outshines the Fancy Pans - New York Times

31E9C9NCCPL._SS400_.jpg

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Hmmm...we had a thread about this very subject a few months ago. My suggestion is to get a mix. Hit up the internet, auctions, yard sales, etc and get some old Wagner or Griswold pans. They're the best ever made and still usable. The new Lodge pans are OK, but some folks find them pricey. Just take proper care of them and they'll last multiple lifetimes.

Edit: Ah, here we are!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...39694-cast_iron_cookware_recommendations.html

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Cooking with cast iron actually adds dietary iron to your food. I use it religiously. Really they only require a "re-season" once annually. I use Lodge. Cheap, family owned company, made in the good old You Ess of Ay.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Thanks for the tips so far guys.

What are the things to avoid? Pitting, rust, etc. ** Can these problems be fixed?

I see that people recommend that you find one with as smooth a surface as possible, and that older may be better.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Never wash it with soap. You'll destroy the protective coating of fat, and the cookware will become more susceptible to rusting. When done cooking, leave the cookware over the heat, until the remaining food residue comes to the smoking point, then flush out with hot water, and wipe clean with a dry towel. As for the seasoning, Lodge comes preseasoned. Once every year, rub it down with a thin layer of high smoke point fat, I usually choose vegetable shortening or safflower oil, both of which are also very resistant to rancidity. Place in a moderate oven (375* - 400*), upside down, over foil or a baking sheet to cath any drippage. Once the fat is absorbed, remove from the oven, and let cool naturally. You now have another years worth of trouble free cooking.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    My favorite pan, I got lucky and got a whole set from my mother 30 + years ago, wouldn't use anything else. The best way I've found to season a new pan is to cook bacon in it over low heat, only cook bacon for about a week in that pan. Then you should be good to go. Cleaning is simple, drain the pan of grease and big chunks, and while still hot hit it with water and a rag, hard stuff I use a bondo spreader to take it off. I agree that the smoother the pan bottom the better, some of the cheap ones have a milled finish that takes a long time to season but will work out ok in the end. Garage sale specials that are rusty just take a disk sander to them and clean them up, pretty hard to wreck a cast iron pan!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My cast iron pans belonged originally to my Great Grandmother...to say they are well seasoned is putting it mildly. I have never had reason to season them myself despite weekly use. They range in sizes from an 8 inch up to an 18 inch monster and all have lids as well. I also have my Grandmother's dutch oven.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I use it almost exclusively. The only other thing I have is stainless steel. Not that steel coated aluminum stuff either.
    As far as Teflon...stay the heck away from that crap.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I LOVE my cast iron set...I use other styles of pans, but cast iron is my go to when applicable.

It also gives me a nice alternative to my grill when I want a steak and am feeling lazy.

Never wash it with soap. You'll destroy the protective coating of fat, and the cookware will become more susceptible to rusting. When done cooking, leave the cookware over the heat, until the remaining food residue comes to the smoking point, then flush out with hot water, and wipe clean with a dry towel. As for the seasoning, Lodge comes preseasoned. Once every year, rub it down with a thin layer of high smoke point fat, I usually choose vegetable shortening or safflower oil, both of which are also very resistant to rancidity. Place in a moderate oven (375* - 400*), upside down, over foil or a baking sheet to cath any drippage. Once the fat is absorbed, remove from the oven, and let cool naturally. You now have another years worth of trouble free cooking.

a tip I learned is to scrub the pan clean with kosher salt. it soaks up the excess oil and works as an abrasive cleaner.

Hmm, I learn something new everyday.

another con: NOT suppose to use cast iron on newer style flat top electric ranges.

Why?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Originally Posted by Clay
    another con: NOT suppose to use cast iron on newer style flat top electric ranges.
    Why?
    I've got a newer flat top electric. There's just too much space between the elements (which are under glass) and the skillet. It takes iron so long to heat up, due to it's thickness, that it fails to heat properly. I use my cast iron in the oven or on the grill.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I've got a newer flat top electric. There's just too much space between the elements (which are under glass) and the skillet. It takes iron so long to heat up, due to it's thickness, that it fails to heat properly. I use my cast iron in the oven or on the grill.

Is that the only reason not to use it?

Top Bottom